• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Suggestions for injectors, turbo, head gasket.

• Owner

+150 HP I can lay my foot WOT and never reach 1,200°F. I've ran all the way to Arizonia in summer temps and never got over 1,200°F climbing grades with my 31 foot RV. Proper timing, proper gear makes a huge difference even MPG wise. Average 65 MPH is about 550°F EGTs.

Oh skip Cummins OEM head gaskets, there is much better out there. After having one delaminate in under 1,000 miles.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

+150 HP I can lay my foot WOT and never reach 1,200°F. I've ran all the way to Arizonia in summer temps and never got over 1,200°F climbing grades with my 31 foot RV. Proper timing, proper gear makes a huge difference even MPG wise. Average 65 MPH is about 550°F EGTs.

Oh skip Cummins OEM head gaskets, there is much better out there. After having one delaminate in under 1,000 miles.

What do you have for turbo / exhaust on that again? I don't see it anywhere. and yeah, admittedly I was also pushing it a bit keeping at the 80mph speed limit, slowing down cooled it down obviously. but used to pull my 5th wheel at 90ish with 1300 max on the old stock injectors.

Well thankfully my usual camping spot was closed as I don't think my truck would have survived the trip.  I ended up going to a closer spot with almost no hills.  My EGT's seem high even running around empty, usually cruising the highway at 8-900 and passing 1000 while casually accelerating.  Pulling the camper with the Edge on level 2 and OD turned off I was cruising at 900*, cruised at 1100* in OD so I pretty much left OD off the whole time since the speed limit was 55 the entire way.  The one short hill I quickly hit 1300* at the top trying to hold 55mph.  The truck definitely feels stronger but it gets too hot to really use it now.   I turned the Edge off to see if there was a difference and it just makes the truck sluggish and harder to build boost which still makes it heat up.  With the stock injectors and turbo I was at least able to hold 55mph up lucky peak at 1100*.  Have I done something wrong or is the Quadzilla the only way to fix this?

35 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

Have I done something wrong or is the Quadzilla the only way to fix this?

Quad will definitely give you way more control of things. I honestly don't see how we did it for so long without v2 tuning on these vp44 trucks. I suppose if you had a perfect turbo/injectors combo it would be ok, but then you're still stuck with timing tables built for stock injectors if you don't have a tuner if you have any other tuner but quad most of them try to max out fuel and timing before you get to 50% throttle something like that. With quad you tell it what you want and when.

Turbo is to small not moving enough air.

Your having to peddle off like you have a hy35 still on there.

I wouldn't count on any programming to cool you.

I run through eisman canyon with 15k behind my truck at 80mph at 1100 1150s. Thats actually about where my egt stop climbing.

It use to bother me that it climbs fairly quick to there even accelerating on flat ground but it preheats and holds it.

I do have an itch to try a 62 68 12, compared to 62 65 14.

I kinda feel like these guys suckerd you into a Basically stock turbo. Theyre all about the 150s and tune tune tune with quad to manage heat . Uhhh no 

Edited by Evan

6 hours ago, Evan said:

I kinda feel like these guys suckerd you into a Basically stock turbo. Theyre all about the 150s and tune tune tune with quad to manage heat . Uhhh no 

Hey now :poke: personally I wouldn't be running 150s without the 62/67/12 that I got, or something similar, I love it, spools quick and plenty of power for what I'm doing without getting hot out of control. Quad really helps to fine-tune things, like take away some fuel on bottom end before turbo is spoiling and timing adjustment for different size/pop of the injectors. But of course if you don't know how to tune you can make it worse not better. 

If you just took big injectors and shove them in, it'll be a hot mess. Need air to compensate for extra fuel not arguing there. All we were saying is you can get away with 150s and stock turbo with some tuning from the quad, obviously not an ideal setup. At least that's what's in my mind there's a lot of tunnels and hiding places in there :ahhh:

• Like 1

Power makes heat your either pushing enough air to manage the heat or your not, theres no in between. 

I do think guys are scared 62 turbos arent quick enough on the bottom. But man my truck is pretty damn quick.

I also think most dont tow . Yes the quad can take all the power away to make it run safe temps with a decent load. But why not put that same money into a turbo that actually works with the injectors.

It is a viscous circle more fuel means more air more air means more fuel.

The quad can make this circle bigger or smaller but only within the limits of the mechanical circle.

When I'm sled pulling I have maxed out CanBus and full 2200us of wire tap with my 7x.0085 (50s) injectors. At the end of the pull, the EGTs level out at 1150°F. But that's all the fuel I have right now. My stock HX35 still manages to clean most (over 80%) of the smoke up while going down the track.

@Sycostang67, I think you are running into the too much timing issue with the Edge stuff. The quad will help but you have to spend some time to tweak it to your truck.

@Evan, while I think you are right on some aspects, I disagree on others. The quad programming will help put timing timing closer to where it needs to be to make more power and keep heat down. But its also not a magic fix. If you're running 7x015s on a factory charger dont expect to run with no smoke by putting a Quad on (extreme example).

That being said, I Don't feel like the GX-E is a "performance" turbo. I feel like its a "factory upgrade" or "factory plus". If you have like 50s or RV275s and a CanBus only tuner then its perfect. But if you are gonna go to 100s or more just go straight to a 62/65/12 or one of its other variants. I got my brother one (62/65/12) for his truck as a birthday or Christmas present. He has a ppump 24v and really old +75s (possibly, bought it like that, don't actually know what they are) with moderately high timing (low to mid 20s). The turbo helped cool of his truck from burying a 1600 EGT gauge with an HX35 to maxing out at 1300°F. It spools a bit slower (15-1800 is when the boost gauge starts moving) but I think that has more to do with his timing than the turbo. 

The 62/68/12 is probably gonna spool at the same time as the 62/65/14 but it might help with high rpm exhaust flow.             

53 minutes ago, wh82 said:

What was this? the Answer to what mopar1973man is running or what you put in? I thought you ordered that GXE Screaming Eagle...

Yeah, that is what Mike is running, I did get the screaming eagle/S300 and some 100hp 7x009 injectors.   The S300 did suggest 100-150hp injectors to run that turbo.   

Sounds like I may be back to the Quad as Mikes' setup is similar and he's not having any EGT issues.  I was looking up the Quad the other day and noticed it now has the IQUAD+, which works with android or IOS so I don't have to pick one or the other and be stuck with it.  My biggest issue with it last time was never being able to connect to it.  I'm not sure if that was due to the cheap tablet I was using or what but hopefully it works better now than before.  I can sell my Edge tuner and recover most of the cost of the Quad at least.  

I think mikes truck is being towed around by a heard of magic ferries thats why he gets such good fuel mileage and low egt pulling with stock hx35,  now its got a turbo and seemingly floats around at an idle while whistling to the ferries or maybe whipping so mpg stays in check and exhaust drone bearable 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Evan said:

I think mikes truck is being towed around by a heard of magic ferries thats why he gets such good fuel mileage and low egt pulling with stock hx35,  now its got a turbo and seemingly floats around at an idle while whistling to the ferries or maybe whipping so mpg stays in check and exhaust drone bearable 

I think he is getting that mpg, but he has his own driving style and set up that makes it possible. For me I just simply don't want any smaller tires then I got and I don't have patience driving at 60 mph. Beginning of this summer I wanted to see what I can get for mpg if I was trying, well I got close to 25 I think, can't remember exactly but I was excited, so it is possible but I don't have time or patience for it most of the time.

I think @JAG1 can beat Mike's record the way he drives

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

True the quad small turbos and big injectors have theyre place. But theres a potential for melt down thats my main concern mpg realy isnt a concern set cruise at 80 and roll.

Look at it this way people read this forumn they run 150s a stock turbo a quad with whatever tune they buy or heck maybe no tune. 

They drop injectors in hook up to the toy hauler camper the family jumps in  get fuel then melt the truck down on the first hill going to lucky peak.

Reading the forumn does not mean they have mikes 20 years of 5.9 experience they dont see the evolution of these trucks from new to old trucks the after market has taken over. Many minds have changed and evolved with these trucks.

I can not recommend tuning first before the correct mechanical parts are placed together.  

Syco

I'm not sure what turbo you have for sure but i see one says stock to 110 injectors. So likely will take some fiddling to be happy.

And damn are prices up in the last year seems theyre like 300-400 more then when i got mine

• Like 1

In the 4-5 years I’ve owned my truck. Bone stock with HY35. Was a dog and ran hot. Traced it down to a stuck open wastegate. Found a power puck ran better. Installed a boost fooler and rigged up a spring system on the turbo for more boost. Ran better. Next upgraded to an HX35 with a boost elbow. Ran a little cooler. Picked up some RV275’s and a Quadzilla. That had been the biggest upgrade performance wise. Played with my tune from reading on this site. Read through everything Quad wise. Found some used 7x.009 injectors. Changed my tune accordingly. What a difference! Truck ran a little cooler with much more pulling power. If it ran hot while towing I just pulled some fuel back. Well at that point I got the power bug. 
Then I pieced together the turbo I have now with the new injectors. Really happy with the setup. Empty or loaded the truck moves!  All said and done the Quad made all the changes work with each other. I still tweak with the tune occasionally just because I can. If it doesn’t work just change it back. No wire tap yet. VP warranty is up next May.  Is the Quad the fix all cure all? No. Does it make a good setup better? Yes! Just my .02 and with today’s inflation it’s even worth less now. 

• Like 1

skepticism 

Says reduce fuel and power to increase driveability. I do think your truck will be a good test of reality for the quad and mike.

Im currently not a believer in the quad ferries. Horse shoe bend hill might be indication of improvements or what the hell this thing is ball less but atleast runs cooler.