• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Suggestions for injectors, turbo, head gasket.

• Owner

Well I'm not have any problems and comparing @Sycostang67truck versus my own with the tires and current injectors his pulls good with the Edge CTS but very smokey. No way to reduce the smoke on his truck since I installed the 100 HP injectors. He also runs higher on EGT's. Remember I'm bigger at 150 HP injectors and very low smoke and at least 200*F lower EGT's. 

I got the Quad installed yesterday, didn't connect as easily as I thought it would but once it was connected it only lost connection once and then maintained all through my testing.  I did turn on the turbo timer, that's a nice feature.  I won't have to sit in my truck waiting for the EGT's to drop so I can shut it down.  It's been a few years since I last tried this thing and it definitely delivers power differently than my Edge.  I'm surprised that even at level 10 of the stock tunes it comes with I have very little smoke but my egt's are still high.  Have to try the custom stuff next.  

@Sycostang67, just remember that the power levels are just divisions of 100% wire tap. Meaning, I have 6 levels, 0-5. Level 3 is canbus only, level 4 is 50% of available wire tap, and 5 is 100% of available wire tap. It doesn't matter what the number of levels is because the end result is the same.. unless you want to know what an extra 20% wire tap each level is, then you do you.     

My El cheapo tablet isn't going to work, the battery is almost dead within a few hours of not even being used.  Thankfully the new Iquad works with android and IOS so I was able to just switch to my phone and not have to go get a new tablet right away.  Definitely gonna need some help with tuning though, just like last time I tried to make a tune and only made the truck undrivable.  :duh:  Back to the standard tunes for now, lol.

When does the turbo timer let it shutdown.  

I can go from 1000 to cooled off and not registering on my egt gauge in 30 seconds. The hy35 could go 1400 to under 400 quickly to. 

I never under stood the turbo timer thing. I cant see any truck idling hot. I could see hot bearings but the egt gauge isnt realy measuring turbo bearing temp since its reading exhaust temp ahead of the turbo.

I think the turbo timer thing was marketing against the smarty from 12 years ago when everyone ran 50-75 injectors stock turbos and popular smarty

Syco 

Sorry i keep getting off topic.  Mike is very intune with the smarty i mean quad. I think it might be best to just have him do a few tunes.

I think theres also tune files on here somewhere. Im slightly intrested in quad someday. Used to have the app on my phone.

Not sure id ever have the patience to tune it. Id just want to set the fuel to kill and run it roaling coal like a freight train

Have you ran any of its default tunes can you tweak programming from these preset tunes?

Is that turbo from DAP?

@Sycostang67, I'm assuming you got an Onn tablet from Wal-Mart. Had one and would be dead in a couple hours and take even longer to charge. Swapped to a Samsung galaxy tab a10, haven't had a problem.

The better thing about this version of quadzilla versus the older one is it is a lot harder to make the truck undrivable. Black smoke and some bucking is about all you could get.

@Evan, turbo timer shuts it down at a user set temperature. Personally, I don't use it because I'm like you, I can go from a sled pull (1150°F) to the pits (all 300-500ft of driving) and be down to 300°F. I think it might have been a hold over from when wrapping your manifold and housing with the turbo and manifold blankets was popular. Its purpose was to cool the housing down so that the oil didn't have a chance to sit and cook/burn due to the remaining heat. Oil flow also helped cool the turbo, specifically the center bearing areas.

There is only the default tune when you first load up the quad and its not a good tune. You need to make a custom tune in order to play with the tuning parameters.        

All turbo vehicles should have a timer.... Because few humans have the proper discipline to treat their equipment properly.

Be the oil in your turbo as you have pulled off the interstate pulling a load and hit the fuel island and slam her off.  Think about it.  Turbo is really hot and you just cut it off.  What we did was stop the oil pump from pushing cool oil through the turbo.  By allowing the truck to idle for a period of time, the temperatures in the turbo come down quickly.  If we could run the oil pump for a bit longer, the engine would not have to run.  In fact there was a pretty popular oil accumulator that did this.  When running the accumulator filled up.  When you shut the vehicle off, the accumulator would push the oil through the turbo bearings for about a minute after shutdown.  (I think the oil temps were too hard on the bladder so it didn't stick around....)

Oil begins to change when in the 300 to 400 degree range.  When you shut off without cooling, you run the risk of trapped oil going beyond this range. 

Does it matter?  Depends on if you want your turbo to last 100k or 500k. 

While I was in the army, all of our turbo equipped vehicles had stickers on the dash saying that all vehicles will idle 5 minutes before being turned off.  This was the same on the dozers and loaders, as well as the 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks.  If they had a turbo they had the time to idle.  No turbo, no prescribed time to idle.

I don't have a turbo timer, but I always idle my vehicle until the egt has gone below 200F.   Agreed that is exhaust temp not  turbo temp.  I hope that is long enough to knock some temperature out of the turbo.   I do notice on humid days it takes longer to cool off than dry days.  Have not scienced that out yet....

Hag

Ive become curious. Im going to see what idle temp is with motor at operating temp. Will compare turbo to manifold.

200 has to be at or close to minimum at egt probe. Im sure its slighter higher in the combustion chamber, as its cooled since fire.

Nothing wrong with a cool down idle

Edited by Evan

I have mine set at 350.  My driveway is inclined and the entrance isn’t flat to enter. It’s like a half circle and I back in. Park and  lock it by the time I get to the front door it shuts off. Along with long hauls with my trailer. Very convenient. The bad part being the first to a drive through and waiting that awkward few seconds for it to shut off so  we can hear each other talk through the loudspeaker.  I’ve learned on some to pop it in neutral and coast up. 

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Is it actually shutting down at set temp or just idling for a certain amount of time then shutting down 

Just be ready for looks from the Prius, Tesla, and Subaru drivers as your truck keeps running while you walk away. Can't count the Karens that have yelled at me. I just roll my eyes and keep walking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Evan said:

When does the turbo timer let it shutdown.  

I can go from 1000 to cooled off and not registering on my egt gauge in 30 seconds. The hy35 could go 1400 to under 400 quickly to. 

I never under stood the turbo timer thing. I cant see any truck idling hot. I could see hot bearings but the egt gauge isnt realy measuring turbo bearing temp since its reading exhaust temp ahead of the turbo.

I think the turbo timer thing was marketing against the smarty from 12 years ago when everyone ran 50-75 injectors stock turbos and popular smarty

Syco 

Sorry i keep getting off topic.  Mike is very intune with the smarty i mean quad. I think it might be best to just have him do a few tunes.

I think theres also tune files on here somewhere. Im slightly intrested in quad someday. Used to have the app on my phone.

Not sure id ever have the patience to tune it. Id just want to set the fuel to kill and run it roaling coal like a freight train

Have you ran any of its default tunes can you tweak programming from these preset tunes?

Is that turbo from DAP?

I currently have it set to shut down at 450*, even stock especially in the summer I would have to wait for minute or 2 to get under 450.  It's not near as long in the winter.  

Yes, the turbo I just installed did come from DAP.

I'll be getting together with Mike this weekend to build some tunes, the truck does run fine on the preset tunes for now as long as I don't need to tow anything uphill.  I don't think I can tweak any of the default tunes.  Aside from my lack of tuning ability, this round with the quad is going much better than last time.  

9 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

@Sycostang67, I'm assuming you got an Onn tablet from Wal-Mart. Had one and would be dead in a couple hours and take even longer to charge. Swapped to a Samsung galaxy tab a10, haven't had a problem.

The better thing about this version of quadzilla versus the older one is it is a lot harder to make the truck undrivable. Black smoke and some bucking is about all you could get.

It was a $50 RCA tablet I got from Walmart several years ago when I first tried the Quad.  It's been sitting in a desk drawer since then which I'm sure didn't do it any favors.  

Im feeling for you.  I still want to slap these guys. Ughhh.

I probly the same look i give it each winter the 3 cylinder high idle works..  its the now wtf is wrong with it look

Edited by Evan

I had to set my turbo timer back up to around 325 degrees at our old house. Too often I'd come home late at night, and our neighborhood was up a good hill, so EGTs would climb. Blasted thing wouldn't shut off for about a minute when at 275, and my driveway was right outside neighbors bedroom window! "Sorry 😐"

The full synthetic oil seemed to have handled that higher temp okay.

• 2 months later...