• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacing the Cooling System

Hey guys,

So I'm back to work after a knee injury, and I walked out of Wawa and saw green coolant under the truck.

After some quick diagnosis I determined the radiator is leaking from the crimp joint on the driver's side. 

I know a new radiator is in my future, but what about the rest of the Cooling System. I'm talking about the baby hoses on the passenger side that run under the turbo charger, the heat exchanger etc.

I'm not 100% sure how far I want to go, but I have a water pump on the shelf, and a new belt. I might as well swap out other stuff that looks like it will be on its way.

When I got the truck the coolant went 10 years between changes, this current truck is about 4 years in the coolant, but I do check and change some of it here and there. 

Are the side coolant hoses a Dodge thing, or a Cummins thing? It seems like a bolt on accessory, so I would assume it's a Cummins. 

• Staff

Not sure what "baby hoses on the passenger side" your referring to. Mine only has the heater hoses on that side going into the heater core.

If that's what your talking about I would check them at this point. Look closely for cracks and squeeze them to see if they're getting spongy.

While you have the cooling system drained I would do a full system flush. 

There is a write up in the tech section that explains it. Most new radiators won't warranty unless it's done and a new thermostat is installed as well.

4 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

I think all those little hoses are the same size. Take one off and take it to Napa and have them find a heater hose same size with a molded in 90, then just cut it up to the lengths you need.

That sounds like good idea.

Now to find the check valve, I can't find much on the internet. 

• Owner

Looks like 5/8 inch heater hose. 

Now I would get a coolant pressure tester and hook up on a cold engine apply about 15 to 17 PSI of pressure and let it sit awhile. Now come back and check for the green puddle on the floor. Follow it back to the source. It could be hoses, head gasket, rotten cooler, or rotten steel pipe. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Looks like 5/8 inch heater hose. 

Now I would get a coolant pressure tester and hook up on a cold engine apply about 15 to 17 PSI of pressure and let it sit awhile. Now come back and check for the green puddle on the floor. Follow it back to the source. It could be hoses, head gasket, rotten cooler, or rotten steel pipe. 

I crawled under it and saw the drops on the ground.

Irony has it it didn't do it all if the time, but it was two of the 4 stops I was at I saw it.

Radiator is on order, so is a new heat exchanger, and a oil cooler. 

I have a water pump, and new serpentine belt. I'm going to get a tensioner as well. I'm planning on doing as much of it as I can when I drop this radiator.

• Staff

I carry spare hoes under my back seat. 

These are the Gate's part numbers and the prices at O'Reilly auto parts.

upper radiator hose...part# 22645... cost $33.99

lower radiator hose...part# 22082... cost $24.99

both heater hoses'... part# 28467... cost $18.99 each

90° hose....................... part# 20338... cost $14.99   

You could get an extra heater hose and cut the 90° off of it to use where one is called for then use the straight part for the transmission heat exchanger.  The 90° and heater hoses are 5/8" (.63") inside diameter. 

Edited by IBMobile

• Staff
5 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I still haven't had any luck finding a check valve.

It's there to stop the convertor from draining out.  It restricts fluid flow and could fail and cause the trans fluid to overheat and burn up the transmission.  If your trans has been upgraded the fluid should then flow when started in park. Don't replace it...remove it.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, IBMobile said:

It's there to stop the convertor from draining out.  It restricts fluid flow and could fail and cause the trans fluid to overheat and burn up the transmission.  If your trans has been upgraded the fluid should then flow when started in park. Don't replace it...remove it.

whats the easiest way to remove it?