• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dyna beads

Well on my way to the jobsite this morning (Sunday) I get pulled over by the cops or should I say cop, managed to get my seatbelt on and quick so he didn't do me for that.... refuse to be told to wear a seatbelt and have never worn one  EXCEPT when the cops are around or driving a newer POS that never stops bleeping as in my wifes silly newish volvo

Cop gets out and tells me to turn the motor off and then he goes into 10 minutes of why he pulled me, his words were weaving across the lane, this part of the M1 has HGV ruts 2" deep but a little wider than my trucks track so either one wheel or the other is trying to escape the rut hence the weave, it's not bad just need to pay attention, once turned off onto the M69 no ruts no weave.

I'm sitting there knowing i'm all in order, he looks around my box trailer and there's a tyre with cords showing on the inside, I hadn't seen it, fair enough

£100 fine and 3 points on my license  so most of today is just going to the Po Licemens christmas party, luckily he didn't put a "no movement" on it, this is the bit I don't get, if it was ok to go to my job and then go home why give me a ticket unless the ticket is just ££.

The wheel that is worn has a worn rubber suspension unit which allows the wheel to lean in at the top and of course axles here are like rocking horse ####

Here's a question....... I have a large bumper pull flatbed trailer,  is there any plans or help on how to convert from bumper pull to 5th wheel, I can weld I have a 250amp mig and my brother can weld better than me...... has anyone ever made a 5th out of a towball trailer, makes it worse as the 5th wheel I moved for a guy last thursday was sold for £1500, I'm 2/3rds of that for new axles GGGRRRR

No the road surface wasn't the cause of the cords showing that was just stupidity on my part

this particular wheel leans inwards due to the suspension rubbers being worn.... maybe you guys don't have axles like these, or maybe they are used but on low weights

The picture IF it comes out right way up .... where the black peice is there is a bush into the axle tube, when this wears it can cause the top of the wheel to lean in which will wear the inner edge of the tyre

s-l1600.jpg

• Owner

Torsion axles used on RVs and utility trailers out here too. Never did like that design of axle for that reason. After a time the rubber degrades from Ozone and then the spring action weakens and the axles could lean in too. Never seen one but I can see how it could over time. I know even the old leaf springs can fail just the same too. Broken spring bolts, u-bolt failures, broken leaf springs, damaged or broken balance beam (multi-axles). 

• Staff

Interesting, we’ve had a couple torsion axle trailers and haven’t had that happen. I have seen the spindle bend where it attaches, which can happen torsion or spring. 

The main thing I don’t like about torsion axles is that they need to be loaded level (not horrible) to have even load distribution,  but more importantly loaded to 65% of their rating or more to not ride harsh. 

• Staff

As far as converting your bumper pull trailer to a fifth wheel:

Can it be done? I'm sure it probably could be.

Will it be cost effective? I kinda think it may not be. Might be easier and safer to just sell one and buy the type of trailer you want.

Or find an old fifth wheel camper and put the box from the trailer you have now onto that frame?

On 7/4/2022 at 5:19 AM, Doubletrouble said:

As far as converting your bumper pull trailer to a fifth wheel:

Can it be done? I'm sure it probably could be.

Will it be cost effective? I kinda think it may not be. Might be easier and safer to just sell one and buy the type of trailer you want.

Or find an old fifth wheel camper and put the box from the trailer you have now onto that frame?

I'm pretty sure it would be cost effective here..... 5th wheel flatbeds are £10k  plus up to £20k

I messaged the guy who I moved a 5th wheel last week I know he bought it for £1500, paid me £500 to move it, he wants £4500, I offered him £2100 which is a quick £100, of course he said no

On 7/4/2022 at 6:19 AM, Royal Squire said:

I saw a article on bumper to gooseneck conversion in a farm magazine many years ago. I bet you could find it if you did internet search. 

I'll search for it.... thanks

On 7/5/2022 at 3:08 PM, Max Tune said:

This company is probably cost prohibitive for you but there are pictures to give you an idea for fabrication. Also search "converting bumper pull to gooseneck" and alot of videos and pictures come up. (You probably already have)

https://www.bpconversions.com/

I found time to take a look at the link, I could either make that or did a search on converting and I can make that too  :thumb1: