• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

i am putting a new clutch in my 02. i will have the tranny in my hand. it is pushing itself out of 1st and rev. when backing up or pulling forward, when i let of of the throttle something is pushing it out of gear. you can feel it in the shifter, like i was on the otherside pushing it out of gear. has anyone had experience with this?

--- Update to the previous post...

is it possible for a bad pilot bearing or input shaft bearing to cause this?

Gonna have to open it up to see whats worn out.Could be several things. worn shift fork not getting it in gear far enough, or most likely a bad sliding collar happens when it grinds, it grinds enough of the cogs off as to where it does the said symptoms. first and reverse are always the gears that catch this the worst as people usually grind just a bit when first stepping the clutch down and tranny hasn't stopped rolling yet.

This is generally caused by something bent or worn out. It should fully lock itself into position. Is it only in 1st and/or reverse?

it has just recently started cpming out of 6th probably 6 times. my hanes manual says that something is loose in the clutch causing that. idont remember what. nothing is pushing on it like 1st and rev.

i appreciate all of yalls reply. ive never had any trouble with this tranny untill this sarted about 9 months ago. replaced the master cylinder about a year ago. gonna due the slave with the clutch. its accting up a little. no problem wit gears grinding and for the most part shifts good, even now. looks like we are just going to have to open it up and see whats in there. i have seen alot of replacemnt parts at alot of websites. i am afraid of cheap knock offs. do any of you know a reliable source for parts?

I've been through 3 of these tranny's, first thing to look at is the shift tower to make sure the plastic bushing is'nt worn out. http://www.allstategear.com/Shifter.htm Refer to the one for NV5600.This is the first to check before you pull the whole trans If thats good it's probly the big bearing in the rear of the main case,the only thing in the clutch/flywheel assy would be the pilot shaft bushing.:2cents:

did you build your own or have them do it for you? i dont think its something i would have the time or the knowledge to do.

I've been through 3 of these tranny's, first thing to look at is the shift tower to make sure the plastic bushing is'nt worn out.

http://www.allstategear.com/Shifter.htm Refer to the one for NV5600.This is the first to check before you pull the whole trans

If thats good it's probly the big bearing in the rear of the main case,the only thing in the clutch/flywheel assy would be the pilot shaft bushing.:2cents:

the mechanic told the plastic bushing was good condition but ther were some metal shaving on the top of the tranny. do you have totake the whole thing a part to get to the bearing inthe rear of the main case? i saw a thread a while back where someone bought the plastic bushing seperately for a buck. i have only seen them with the shifter assembly

did you build your own or have them do it for you? i dont think its something i would have the time or the knowledge to do.

the mechanic told the plastic bushing was good condition but ther were some metal shaving on the top of the tranny. do you have totake the whole thing a part to get to the bearing inthe rear of the main case? i saw a thread a while back where someone bought the plastic bushing seperately for a buck. i have only seen them with the shifter assembly