• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

In northern Canada we get weeks of -20 to -35 celsius my body told me Ishould use regular 10w30 gas engine oil better on start up,he said I should stick to 10w30 as I won t be pulling much,I ll be using the truck mostly for hunting & fishing,What s best??:cookoo:

• Owner

I've been using 15w-40 in mine winter or summer I just allow time for the oil to warm slightly before taking off. Like the last few day of seeing -11*F doesn't seem to bother it... But now getting down to -20 or -30*F is getting colder yet... Wild & Free is one of our guys that stuck in the freezer of ND...:smart:

-35 C is -31 F if the converter works rightthat is pretty darn cold. if it was me i would be runnin 5w-40 or 10w30, but make sure it is a diesel oil. a 10w-30 gas oil doesnt have the right additive package for a diesel engine. a 5w has better cold flow than a 10w, and rotella syn 5w-40 is pretty easy to get. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• Staff

Do NOT run a gas oil in your diesel, period. There are many things to consider when choose an oil for cold weather performance. But in general the first number in oil weight denotes the cold weather performane. A 5w-30 oil should flow the same as a 5w-40 when cold, in general. Then you have to consider the makeup of the oil, dino vs. synthetic. CI vs CJ, etc. For your 02 I reccommend a CI if you can find it. Here are some oil pour points for reference. Amsoil AME syn 15w-40 CJ -42*CAmsoil HDD syn 5w-30 CJ -50*CAmsoil DEO syn 5w-40 CI -46*CRotella Syn 5w-40 CI -45*CDelo 400 Syn 5w-40 CJ -42*CDelo 400 15w-40 CJ -30*C Those are just some example. I run Amsoil AME 15w-40 year round, thou I rarely go below -20*C in any given winter.

I think synthetic is better for the cold like AH64ID said the syn have a good pour point I see some similar temps hear not quite as cold but have seen -29f here and the syns will work alot better for you. Also Valvoline Extreme Premium Blue 5w 40 has the Cummins logo on the pakage and might be easier to get your hands on.

I think synthetic is better for the cold like AH64ID said the syn have a good pour point I see some similar temps hear not quite as cold but have seen -29f here and the syns will work alot better for you. Also Valvoline Extreme Premium Blue 5w 40 has the Cummins logo on the pakage and might be easier to get your hands on.

I looked for that kind of oil the other day while at checkers buying the wipers I bought but, couldn't find it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm running 10w30 rotella t diesel engine oil,all good but my buddy mechanic told me to go synthetic 5w40 on my next oil change,but then I was talking to this old mechanic and he told me he did that to a high mileage truck and he blew the engine,he figures the synthetic oil washed out the engine & plugged some oil porting.He doesn't recommend that for my truck 298,000 km?:cookoo:

when i was home for the holidays back in minnesota i was glad that i had the amsoil 5w30 for thanksgiving morning when i went outside and it was -10 and my truck wasn't plugged in :duh: but i had to get goingit started easily... cycled key twice then gaver the juice and it fired up with a cloud of white smoke and i sat out there kinda running 15w40 synthetc amsoil now and probably will keep with that since the first owner ran this amsoil for the first 110,000 so i'll just keep it on what was in it

I would run a synthetic 10w30 diesel oil. In my 02 with the Amsoil dual remote filter head I run 10w30 Amsoil diesel oil. Reason is If I run 15w40 amsoil the oil gets too thick in temps below0*f that it takes I have seen up to 15-30 seconds before it builds oil pressure. The oil has to be pushed through about 8 feet of 1/2 inch hose and it is just too much restriction when its that cold when using 15w40. I have no issues with 10w30. I am going to remove the dual remote filter system and go with a regular full flow and just an add on bypass filter head to avoid this issue so I cn go back to 15w40 year round on that rig.

What kind of set up do you have?The extra filteration with an 8 ' hose what's the purpose?With rotella -t 10w30 my pressure goes up almost instantly even in cold weather,I'll probably stick with that viscosity and plug it in in real cold weather.

• Staff

What kind of set up do you have?The extra filteration with an 8 ' hose what's the purpose?

It's a bypass filter. They get about 10% of the oil at a time and super cleans it. The best full flow filter you can get is 15um absolute, bypass filters get down to the 2um range. Most wear occurs in the 5-7 um range.

What kind of set up do you have?The extra filteration with an 8 ' hose what's the purpose?.

It is a remote dual filter head with both full flow filter and bypass filter on the same head. There is a manifold that screws onto the factory oil filter stud with both lines going from it to the filter head and back to it. Thats the reason for so much hose.I have it mounted to/under my ranch hand front bumper. about 8 feet of hose and the fact the oil goes thru 4 90* angle fittings on top of it the way I have it all routed.