• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I've got a Prodigy PIII. I was really looking for an Odyssey because of its presets.I have a mystery short somewhere that throws my PIII into overload/no brakes once in a while, drives me nuts. Thought it was an iffy magnet, but it's lasted through a complete brake job on the trailer.What do YOU use, and how do you like it?

• Owner

I've got a Prodigy P2 and so far like it... No problems with setting the gain. I kind of like it because when I start out with cold brakes I can up the gain a bit and still have strong trailer brakes. Then as they warm up roll back and be good. But I alway check my setting before I leave.

• Staff

I really like my Prodigy. I think it's the cat's meow for running with an exhaust brake. If I am wanting to slow down I turn the EB on, and just touch the brake pedal enought to turn on the trailer brakes. The prodigy senses the deceleration from the EB and brakes the trailer accordingly, so I get mehcanical braking on the trailer, exhaust braking on the truck and nothing on the truck brakes.. works great for slowly slowing, then if I need more I just push the brakes a little harder. I hear the MaxBrakes and BrakeSmart's are amazing units, but they won't do the proportional braking with the exhaust brake like I mentioned, so I haven't really considered one.. But if I didn't have an exhaust brake (not sure why I wouldn't) I would probably run one.

I had something very similar to those on an '84 RamCharger I had. I think it used a piston in the controller, and the gain was adjusted by turning a knob to adjust the angle and therefore proportianal pressure. Fantastic and foolproof, I loved that controller.I really like the 100 braking ability but without trailer ABS certainly see that as a risk too.... I'll have to do some more reading on those guys.

I've always been a big fan of Tekonsha products. I've probably installed a couple thousand of them over the years. For the price, Tekonsha Prodigy's are hard to beat. I've also have installed about 30 BrakeSmart's. They are a hard sell because of the price but the performance is awesome. The hydraulic sensor system is much, much smoother and consistent than an inertial or time activated brake controller. Once you tow a trailer with a BrakeSmart (I have no experience with MaxBrakes), you'll find the performance of other brake controllers to be disappointing. If you don't mind spending spending the money, they are the way to go.

I have a Tekonsha controller and don't know how to set it. I forgot to check what model it is but it has a dial on each side and a little LED or something on top that goes from green to red depending on how hard you're braking. Can someone tell me how to set it or where I can find instructions? It was in the truck when I got it.

I have a Tekonsha controller and don't know how to set it. I forgot to check what model it is but it has a dial on each side and a little LED or something on top that goes from green to red depending on how hard you're braking. Can someone tell me how to set it or where I can find instructions? It was in the truck when I got it.

Is it this one?

Posted Image

That's the one. What's your thought on it, good, bad, or somewhere in between?

Before the Prodigy came out, it was my Brake controller of choice. I still have them in both my personal vehicles. The Prodigy is a little easier to use because you don't have to set the level and the digital display is better than the LED but if it works I wouldn't replace it. Here is a link to the installation and adjustment manual. http://www.marksrv.com/brake_control/voyager_manual.pdf
  • Like 1

• Staff

Once you tow a trailer with a BrakeSmart (I have no experience with MaxBrakes), you'll find the performance of other brake controllers to be disappointing. If you don't mind spending spending the money, they are the way to go.

I have no doubt they are every bit as good as everyone talks them up to be... I just don't think they can integrate as smoothly on a truck with an exhaust brake. You get no added retarding to the trailer from the exhaust brake, so it's an uneven braking with the truck slowing harder/faster, opposite of what you want.

I have no doubt they are every bit as good as everyone talks them up to be... I just don't think they can integrate as smoothly on a truck with an exhaust brake. You get no added retarding to the trailer from the exhaust brake, so it's an uneven braking with the truck slowing harder/faster, opposite of what you want.

You're looking at the exhaust brake wrong.... if that's how you're treating the exhaust brake it's ONLY slowing the wheels that you want the LEAST braking on - your drives. Unless you're towing in 4x4 of course. The mechanical brakes of the tow rig and trailer should really be treated as one, all working in sync. You don't want to overwork your trailer brakes - unless of course you're borrowing someone else's trailer :nono:

Is it this one?

Posted Image

This is the exact same brake controller I put on my old '99. It worked very well............however, it was super sensitive to heat. Even at times in the winter!!:smart: If the truck sat in the sun and got hot/warm in the cab, just touching the brakes would essentially lock up the brakes on the trailer. Once the inside of the cab cooled down, along with the controller, the braking function would return to its flawless operation. I have a "Brake Force" brand on my 04.5 and it's flawless in all temperatures..

• Staff

You're looking at the exhaust brake wrong.... if that's how you're treating the exhaust brake it's ONLY slowing the wheels that you want the LEAST braking on - your drives. Unless you're towing in 4x4 of course. The mechanical brakes of the tow rig and trailer should really be treated as one, all working in sync. You don't want to overwork your trailer brakes - unless of course you're borrowing someone else's trailer :nono:

I disagree. When towing with an exhaust brake you want to take advantage of it, why else have it! So if your descending a grade and the EB is engaged and you just touch the brakes with a inertial driven controller the trailer will brake in proportion to the deceleration of the truck, works great! If you want to slow more then add service brakes and you get truck/trailer/exhaust all working together. But if you don't have a inertial driven controller you have to work the service brakes even harder to get the trailer to match the truck/exhaust braking effort. You want your trailer braking harder than your truck, this keeps the trailer from overtaking the truck. Also trailer brakes are cheaper than truck brakes! The exhaust brake is a supplementary brake, but its quite effective and you may as well put its retarding power into the mix. I see the Banks brake in your sig is listed in the "soon" category. I think you will understand better when you tow with one a few time.

I have the Voyager in the '96, and an unmentioned brand (I can't remember, I'll have to look) in my '01. The one in the 01 is digital.However, I seem to prefer the Voyager, as it seems to be more accurate (go figure) and consistent. The digital one wigs out every once in awhile, and I have no trailer braking. That's not good.And I totally agree on using the exhaust brake for it's intended purpose, slow the vehicle/load down. I don't have one on the '01, but the Jacobs on the '96 is phenomenal. I want to put one on the '01, but I just can't swing the price right now..:banghead:

I have a EPCO solid state brake controller Model 100... I moved it over to the CTD from my original trailer set up on my 79 C30 (c1985). I don't have an exhaust brake...

I actually have a spare EPCO unit.

I let my ex keep the 84 GMC half ton in the divorce. Couldn't leave her without transportation. On the other hand, the only good thing we had going was trucking the horses to the state management area (I now abutt that Mgt Area). I thought it only fair that she should give up the good with the rest... in as much as she wanted it over. So I stripped the trailering stuff. I left the back bumper (GMC did't come with one) and we'd welded a Reese receiver to it. No, I didn't leave the insert. The ex "kept" the 25 x 30 barn I'd built & I had to remove my horse immediately. It was her house & I lost everything I put into the place over the 5 years.

I got to move on...

Posted Image

Me (I wasn't heavy then), dogs, 84 GMC, ex's house, I built a shop in the garage (took my tools & equipment)

Posted Image

New Barn, broke my heart to leave it behind

Posted Image

Me & my horse Nick fording a stream c1986

Posted Image

79 C30 / Scamper Camper "It was a place to live."

Posted Image

I got my car back... '80 Challenger 2.6/5 speed I found the steering had been wrecked. I regret not searching harder for the parts to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...