• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stacks Question

Ok my son and his friend and I where talking stacks and I said the single slant cut looked good and I was informed that I was,let me see- old, out of touch,senile, that it would'nt look good on my wheel chair. Ok now I am pissed so what do yall think.

• Owner

Personally I like the twin stacks... :thumbsup Singles are easy to do just pop a hole in the floor of the bed and elbow up... LOL But I would put the extra money out and do twins... Now my problem is I never did like the idea of the plumbing in the bed I wish there was a way to plumb under the truck so you had only the pipe coming straight up in the bed. Now other considerations is the sound. The noise level will increase from what I heard. You'll have more exhaust noise and drone problems... Take a ride in someone truck with stacks to get a feel for it... ;)

My brother plumbed his under the bed..just go back to where the passenger side stack is, send that stack up, and also send one over to the other side, all under the bed.. Its not impossible just takes some thought. I have always wanted to put a bulldozer stack(s) on mine, let me find a pic of what I am talking about Like the orange loader behind the yellow one has http://www.hercules-online.com/catalog/ ... A500_3.jpg I would keep them black too :drool I don't like that, curved angle look at all, but the straight up then straight angle look is just awesome.

• 3 months later...

well i have twin 6 1/2 in stacks and i just love them but drone of the stacks arnt that bad after a while u get usta it and u dont notist it unless u have the windos down even then i dont relly hera it but hey do sound gooood and there grate for when somone is ridden your talgate u just lug it and they will back off rell quic so yea but do take a ride with some one that hase stacks and do a long ride not a short one because then u can defntley make your desison sorry for spelling if u lived in idaho around grangeville area i wuld let u listen to mine take er easey

• 3 years later...

Ok my son and his friend and I where talking stacks and I said the single slant cut looked good and I was informed that I was,let me see- old, out of touch,senile, that it would'nt look good on my wheel chair. Ok now I am pissed so what do yall think.

I'm with you...:thumbup2:

I put a single stack on my '87 because the exhaust was shot. It really lowered the in cab noise, but when the passenger window is down it barks a bit. I put it in the corner of the box with the plumbing underneath. I use my box and never liked the idea of a crossover pipe in the box for duals. Been 3 years of road salt and still looks good under the truck. I like the single more than I thought I would. Duals look nice and that's about it IMO.

I had dual 5" stacks on my '96, then changed it to a single 7" mitre cut. I have to say that I liked the single for a couple reasons.. It was much quieter than the dual 5", and it took way less bed space. The downside was rain. When it got wet inside and was started, it would cover the truck in wet soot. That sucked.

My first question is:1. If your son and friend called the slant/mitre cut OLD. exactly what do they consider the "in" on stacks. I personally like the look of a cat stack, or a mitre cut, I am not a fan of the aussie stacks and the 90* turn out just isn't my taste. I see them all the time and think they look good on certain vehicles, but just not for me. I would really like to do a single in my truck and I have an idea for a way to do it and virtually eliminate drone, but I cannot give away my idea just yet as I may be able to make money on it if I can pull it off. Regardless, I have to wait to get into a bigger garage with more adequate work space to tackle it.

I personally think a nice chrome tip out the back (where they belong) looks better than any stack. I think it kills the look of a truck, not to mention there is no real purpose or function of them. Then you gotta go cuttin holes in the bed which I could never bring myself to do either. Not tryin to be a hater, I just dont really get why so many people are into them.So going by your sons logic, I must be an ancient dinosaur :lmao:. P.S. tell him Im 33 so the age logic they are using on you just got blown outta the water! :tongue:

• Like 2

It's all perspective. I see a lot of stacked trucks I don't like. More so than ones that I do. I am very picky about the looks of MY vehicle. I personally hate chrome, so all of my stuff is blacked out. I have 5" exhaust (black) hence I do not run a tip period. I understand where your coming from. I would have a hard time cutting a hole in my bed also, but I have an in-bed toolbox that I could easily place a stack next to and not affect my bed space.

To each his own. I went with a turnout because I park outside and don't want to have to throw bucket on when it rains or snows. Rains caps get annoying too. Personally I never thought of stacks on my 2000. I tow often and have a chest type tool box. Plus I like to drive with all the windows open and don't want to smell exhaust coming in the slider. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as long as you happy with your set up, that's all that matters. People have given me alot of crap about my truck. If they annoy me enough, I just tell them don't call when you are stuck, broken or need ANYTHING.:moon: Can't do that with family although it would be nice once in a while.:lol:

I myself have owned/own truck's with stack's (owned) a 2006 Dodge 2500 mega cab Cummin's auto with 4in stright piped into dual 5in turn out's. When i had just the exhaust i got a hand full of compliment's till i threw on the stack kit then every day i got all kind's of compliment's mainly from trucker's at fueling staion's the local one nicknamed it mini-pete it was not loud and had little to no drone in the cab even with the window's down until you opened the sunroof and rear window then you could hear it alot more but no where near as loud as a 350 chevy with dual cherry bomb's banging your eardrum's against a wall lol and I have the same stack's now on my 2000 Dodge V10 and if you've ever heard the Magnum V10 any exhaust is loud really really loud but with these stack's you almost cant hear it running plus all the people who run up to me yellin' Dude that's a gas pump stop pumpin!!! lmbo lol

My 96 12v, when i had dual 5s, was 4" straight-pipe to the stacks.

you couldn't even think in that truck when it was under load, due to it being so loud in the truck..

Posted Image

Then I changed it to a single 7". It got much, much quieter.. But the 2200rpm drone on the highway (around 66-68mph) was insane..

Posted Image

I like mine under the truck WITH 5" SS pipe, FTE swirl resonator, straight through "muffler" to 6" SS tip (the kit came with). The drone is not too bad towing but wifee still wears ear plugs so I don't have to talk to her. :) I moved the GPS over to my side since she can't hear my questions anyway. I had enough stacks on the Twister (Bruce Mfg), Massey Harris & JD tractors. Wish I had the Twister back actually... I'd ditch the B&S & repower with a Honda twin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with so many of you, I like the look of stacks, can be single or dual, I like either, but cutting the bed, I just don't want to do it. Not until I put a flat bed on that is and the plumbing underneath.

well i have twin 6 1/2 in stacks and i just love them but drone of the stacks arnt that bad after a while u get usta it and u dont notist it unless u have the windos down even then i dont relly hera it but hey do sound gooood and there grate for when somone is ridden your talgate u just lug it and they will back off rell quic so yea but do take a ride with some one that hase stacks and do a long ride not a short one because then u can defntley make your desison sorry for spelling if u lived in idaho around grangeville area i wuld let u listen to mine take er easey

One word... PUNCTUATION. Lol. :-) Sent from my rooted and Android-ROM'd HP Touchpad (CM9)