• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok fellas you know I'm having problems with my tranny that I just bought not too long ago! So I'm thinking since I'm going to be down while waiting on flick to get me another tranny!!! I was wondering what type of clucth to put in! You see all the mods I've done to it, I'm turning over 400hp and the clutch in is kinda weak although it's considered heavy duty! I might as well put in a heavier duty clutch since I'm tore down that far! So give me y'alls expert opionions!!! Thanks in advance!

• Staff

I am in the 375ish to the ground range and SBC recommended the OFE. I was able to slip my OE clutch last week in 6th, so I went to stock fueling plus timing and it held towing all weekend... but a replacement isn't far out as I have some road trips planned this summer and don't want to lose the clutch with the fam in the rig. The OFE has also been recently redesigned and doesn't have the warp issues from heat like it used to. If you want heavier than an OFE I would get the Street Dual Disc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Hmmm... I can't say I've tried one... But I kind of wonder how grabby it might be? :shrug: Like my Southbend Con OFE is a bit grabby with the polyurathane bushings in the hub. I kind of wish I would of got the spring hub instead of the poly hub. But the 13" flywheel is a nice addon that give much more bit for heavy pulling vs. the old school 12.25" flywheel. Yeah I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here... :rolleyes:

• Staff

The clutch is in, Southbend Con-OFE. The initial impression is that it's as smooth as stock with a slightly higher pedal pressure, which is to be expected as the plate has about 500 lbs more holding strength. Doing some more driving and towing today, more results to follow.

Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried or been around these clutches? Looking at ceramic. Any goods or bads to these? Going in my 99. 12.25 or upgrade to 13?:ahhh:

A couple of semi trucks I have driven have had ceramic clutches in them and they were either in or out. No in between. Grabby as all heck, but they sure didn't slip!