• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My ball joint fiasco...

So Friday night, we attempted to replace my ball joints. All week, I've been soaking the hub assembly and associated hardware with rust penetrate.Bottom line:Broke $1400 in Snap-On and Matco tools, and NEVER got the axle nut off, nor did we get the hub out. Afterward, we tried using the hub press tool thingy from Snap-On, where you use the hub bolts (backed out some) and use the power steering to press the hub out.. Yeah... DESTROYED the right-inner TRE; turned it into a horseshoe.. it's as if the spindle and hub are now one-piece, thanks to rust...So, I had to replace that. Never did get the hub out. I suppose next weekend, I'll just cut the ball joints , slide the spindle/hub/axle out as one unit, and annihilate the $400 hub bearing on a 20T press. :cry:

I went and got my REJECTION inspection yesterday.. Guy says "Uhm, sir? YOur lower ball joint and wheel bearing are shot. I can't pass it. You need to get that fixed or else your wheel could fall off."No ____? LOL Never mentioned the 2" deflection in the top ball joint.. :cookoo:I said "I broke over $1000 in MATCO and SNAP-On tools, trying to fix it last weekend. Got any suggestions?"He said "It should just pop right out."I replied.. "Ever worked on one?""No.""Well, they don't 'just pop right out', unfortunately. Otherwise, it'd be replaced already.""Oh."

Wow! Really sorry to hear about your ball joint dissaster. Sometimes when stuff like that gets really rusted together about the only thing that stands a chance of breaking it loose is the "flame wrench". Maybe you have already tried that and I missed it but doesn't sound like you have much to loose now. I dread the day I will have to do mine.:doh: Then you guys can be the smart asses with all the great ideas! :lol:

Wow! Really sorry to hear about your ball joint dissaster. Sometimes when stuff like that gets really rusted together about the only thing that stands a chance of breaking it loose is the "flame wrench". Maybe you have already tried that and I missed it but doesn't sound like you have much to loose now. I dread the day I will have to do mine.:doh: Then you guys can be the smart asses with all the great ideas! :lol:

dyanamite or tnt. your choice. we will back up. or maybe scrape you up. again your choice.

• Owner

So Friday night, we attempted to replace my ball joints. All week, I've been soaking the hub assembly and associated hardware with rust penetrate. Bottom line: Broke $1400 in Snap-On and Matco tools, and NEVER got the axle nut off, nor did we get the hub out. Afterward, we tried using the hub press tool thingy from Snap-On, where you use the hub bolts (backed out some) and use the power steering to press the hub out.. Yeah... DESTROYED the right-inner TRE; turned it into a horseshoe.. it's as if the spindle and hub are now one-piece, thanks to rust... So, I had to replace that. Never did get the hub out. I suppose next weekend, I'll just cut the ball joints , slide the spindle/hub/axle out as one unit, and annihilate the $400 hub bearing on a 20T press. :cry:

i dont know what the snap on thingy is. when idid my second one all i used was a socket and extension, backed off all 4 bolts, placed the scket and extension on one of the bolts and let the other end rest against the axle tube at the yoke. once it move sloghtly i just kept moving to a differant bolt and eased it out. it was time consuming but it worked and i dont remember any TRE getting in the way. like i said i dont know what the snap on thingy even looks like.

Ok, me and my buddy, Jeremy Denson (Disturbed Diesel Performance) knocked the left side out this past Saturday. Only took us 7 hrs LOL!But, we got it done, didn't destroy the hub bearing, and never used a hot wrench :)I do NOT look forward to doing the passenger side; thank goodness they're in good shape so far.