• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

dripley, I thought about checking my owners manual shortly after replying to your post. My manual has an A and B maintenance schedule. B is for frequent towing, dusty conditions, extensive idling, more than 50% high speed driving and short distances less than 5 miles. I used the B schedule because I primarily tow with my truck. The interval for adjusting the valve lash clearance is 135k miles and the A schedule interval is 150k. So I'm OK for 50k more miles. Mohok

• Like 1

so i was curious and couldnt find the answer to the torque on the locking nuts that lock the adjuster screw down on the rocker. All the FSM says is "tight"... i can make a grade 8 bolt tight to the point i break it... literally (ive done it before)when i did mine i got them tight, hopeully not too tight. i do need to redo them as i didnt let the engine cool enough. I was thinking of setting them to 7-17 see if that quiets the valve clatter i hear.

i only drove mine for one week after the adjustment. then installed a set of rv 275's:thumbup2:. i did notice a differance then, but attribute that to the injectors. the adjustment could have contrbuted also. i just did not drive it long enough to know.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine used to be black then it turned white. I got a compression tester for xmas that I wasn't expecting but man is it gonna be fun to use. Now that the dodge is sitting it out, I will tear it all apart and see if there is any cause to the white instead of black smoke. Wish I had a pop tester, maybe next year.

• Owner

Mine used to be black then it turned white. I got a compression tester for xmas that I wasn't expecting but man is it gonna be fun to use. Now that the dodge is sitting it out, I will tear it all apart and see if there is any cause to the white instead of black smoke. Wish I had a pop tester, maybe next year.

If you do you'll end up pop tuning my injectors... :lmao:

I'm curious of the compresion values you get... :whistle:

• Owner

Are you going to buy a pop tester and quit your job? :pant:Seriously with your talent and skill for the older 12V truck if you had both a pop tester and a compression gauge you could make some money doing diagnostics and such...:thumbup2:But I need to bring the thread back to topic again of OP... As for starting smoke a puff of any color is normal but as for continueous smoke of blue/white color is not good.

Are you going to buy a pop tester and quit your job? :pant: Seriously with your talent and skill for the older 12V truck if you had both a pop tester and a compression gauge you could make some money doing diagnostics and such...:thumbup2: But I need to bring the thread back to topic again of OP... As for starting smoke a puff of any color is normal but as for continueous smoke of blue/white color is not good.

My uncle is begging me to go to colorado to go to this diesel school for the biggest dump trucks on earth I guess, letourneaus I think, however thats spelled. He says they have a hard time finding competent people. Anyways, white smoke means unburnt fuel, low compression, crappy injector, I believe it to be a sign on an older engine with lower compression from worn stuff which causes white smoke because it isn't building enough heat so it gives off unburnt fuel until the engine has pumped up enough heat to burn off the fuel. Black smoke is partially burnt fuel. I think this is caused on initial startup because the engine is turning at cranking RPM yet fueling at idle RPM so when it does start, there is some disagreement on fueling amounts until it gets to idle RPM which causes some partially burn fuel. I have yet to figure out why trucks change from black to white smoke. Timing might be a slight issue, though mine smoked at 0* timing somewhat, but less than at stock timing. Pop pressure could be low enough to cause an effect similiar to advanced timing, which advanced timing definitely makes it smoke more. If the valve isn't seating correctly, it could cause it from not allowing proper compression which might heal itself as the engine warms up, but you would hear it hissing most likely. Can't think of much else. Being a 24V it could be anything lol.