• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 problems - Getting tired of the BS!

flagmanruss, I'm not sure what you mean by saying add-ons to "fool" the VP. How are we fooling the VP?

AS far as I know, the VP44 computer still has the same smog programing. Being a smog system, I do not believe it's legal to alter it. So we are fooling the VP44 by adding programers & chips on the outside.

Here is the write up...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68:hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives&catid=36&Itemid=115

Personally after trying a few to correct a misfire issues and then after soaking a injector over night in straight solvent and seeing it did nothing to correct the problem. I can tell you that if your looking to clean a fuel system you have to take everything apart and clean it by hand. So as for keeping it clean is all about good CLEAN fuel and good fuel filters (<10 Micron)

As for keeping things lubed up I would look at the list (above link) and consider the options.

As for cetane booster just remember everytime you increase cetane you reduce the BTU's of the fuel... Just remember standard gasoline is right at 116K Btu's

Posted Image

speaking of fuel filters ..my truck is an 01...BUT...i use an common rail part number filter...Hastings FF1260...5 absolute micron rating...oh yeah!:thumbup2:

AS far as I know, the VP44 computer still has the same smog programing. Being a smog system, I do not believe it's legal to alter it. So we are fooling the VP44 by adding programers & chips on the outside.

Ya know.....I think that would pose a pretty interesting argument in a legal battle of wits given that the ISB came from the factory with ZERO emissions components. So in saying that, how could doing much of anything be construed as altering a smog system device? This is the reason for most of the outcry in CA regarding the '98 to current model diesel smog law which by all tense in purpose, forces my to pay $50 every couple years for a revenue supplying law where my year truck/model was never required to conform too from the day it rolled off the assembly line. Very interesting since by taking that approach, my truck should be smog exempt.....as are all the older vehicles in CA which were built without smog emission components. So which brings me back to the topic as to why adding a box which alters the timing/fueling mapping is considered fooling the VP? Technically that would be "fooling" the ECM and not the VP. And lets take that a little further and ask why would my Edge EZ be viewed as altering a smog device when I can achieve better fuel mileage with the EZ than without?.....and gain an additional 60 HP? Which keeps me asking even more questions as to why injectors aren't considered as "fooling" anything or turning the star on the P-pump? Ah heck, I'm just rambling now. :)