• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I can still feel the torque man. cut my fuel when i spank it out of the hole. The smarty only helps maybe 70 %. From what i read smarty is working on a new program for the 2nd gens.

anything specific they are working on? Im wondering my self as i have never felt any TM on my 99, but i have driven a 2002 and can feel it in 1st gear.

I dont know what it is going to be like. The bigest complant is the t.m. problem so it would be my guess the new smarty could fix that.The other problem is some say it kills top end hp. Hey Michael, that could happen or close to it.

can you explain the TM problem? and yes there is no real top end at all but they are good down low for our trucks. i would like to see a larger HP increase on top, but then again smarty says the top end is proportional, its 60HP with stock injectors, change your fueling and air you could be higher.

• Owner

can you explain the TM problem?

Smarty doesn't exactly remove Torque management from the ECM it just reduces it. So for guys that are into racing and dyno's you see a dead spot to about 20-25 MPH and tha Bam! it launches hard. Or another way to see it is to power brake the trans to get a burn out going and you notice it just won't build a good head of boost before cutting back. The only true torque management box out is the BD Rad box which kills torque management completely but also lose the instrument panel too... :rolleyes:

can you explain the TM problem? and yes there is no real top end at all but they are good down low for our trucks. i would like to see a larger HP increase on top, but then again smarty says the top end is proportional, its 60HP with stock injectors, change your fueling and air you could be higher.

When i build boost at the line then take off my truck starts moving but it feels like the key gets turned off for a fraction of a second. This goes on 3 or 4 times. Without the smarty it is 7 or 8 times. Thats about the best way i can describe it for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Smarty doesn't exactly remove Torque management from the ECM it just reduces it. So for guys that are into racing and dyno's you see a dead spot to about 20-25 MPH and tha Bam! it launches hard. Or another way to see it is to power brake the trans to get a burn out going and you notice it just won't build a good head of boost before cutting back. The only true torque management box out is the BD Rad box which kills torque management completely but also lose the instrument panel too... :rolleyes:

I noticed this more now that I think abouty it, since the new turbo. Too me almost feels like turbo lag. But it the turbo lights about the same time, mainly more like 1800 rpm but that is around 25mph. So the turbo lights as tm reduces. tis a fun ride. Reminds me of a delay box for bracket racing. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I bought a Smarty about 2 months ago. I have only used it on the number 1 (fuel economy) setting. I lost 1 mpg. It does run a wee bit better, but with the price of diesel being what it is I am considering taking it off. I was disappointed as I have heard so many say that they help fuel economy. Has anyone else had this experience?Oh, and I should say that I am not running it any different than I did before.

I bought a Smarty about 2 months ago. I have only used it on the number 1 (fuel economy) setting. I lost 1 mpg. It does run a wee bit better, but with the price of diesel being what it is I am considering taking it off. I was disappointed as I have heard so many say that they help fuel economy. Has anyone else had this experience? Oh, and I should say that I am not running it any different than I did before.

Lost 1mpg from stock - or from another tuner? Run it on a higher level with timing. Try 7 :)

No, from stock. It has never had anything on it before. I thought about going to a higher level but have an automatic transmission and don't want to kill it.Do you think a higher level would do better than the fuel economy setting? I only bought the thing to save fuel. More power is nice, but with an automatic it could get expensive, don't want that.

Try level 7 and just don't be silly withe the foot :) Most advance timing more on higher levels and better mpg, I saw little difference in mpg between all tuners tho - best bang for buck is either a juice/quad if you want guages or just a powerpuck with small new injectors You should get a upgraded vb tho and make sure not slipping the tc --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?42uws0

I bought a Smarty about 2 months ago. I have only used it on the number 1 (fuel economy) setting. I lost 1 mpg. It does run a wee bit better, but with the price of diesel being what it is I am considering taking it off. I was disappointed as I have heard so many say that they help fuel economy. Has anyone else had this experience? Oh, and I should say that I am not running it any different than I did before.

im kinda stumped, i have never experienced this, are you sure its not on half power mod? and your fear about the auto is a valid one, the smarty on level 5-7 can really turn tires at low rpm. what are your pyrometers like when driving? And ide set it at no more then lvl 3, ide try 3 or 4 and see what that does.

And ide set it at no more then lvl 3, ide try 3 or 4 and see what that does.

Yeah start with a lower level than 7 first - just to be safe . I tend to be less scared of the tranny as mine is semi built - but better for you to be safer than sorry as it does get touchy ..,,. Then go up from there once your fine with controlling it with foot. Not sure if running in even numbers will give you any benefit over previous number as I think it's same setting but no added timing so want to stick with 3,5,7 ( that right Pepsi ? ) If I remember you can control other settings with smarty - but I forget . You should notice an increase in mpg - bob Wagner is on cf and noone knows more than him if we get real stuck here ;) --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i40chi

I am sure it is on level 1. It is a bit more responsive than stock, and maybe a tad more power, but not much. It just seems to pull away from a stop a little quicker. About once a week I will run it wide open throttle to exersize the wastegate and it does blow a little bit of black smoke but not much. It wouldn't smoke at all in stock form. Fuel economy before Smarty was 17.6 summer and winter (that is with a whole lot of short trips here on the farm) and 20 Highway.With the Smarty on level 1, 16.6 mpg, and 20 highway.I will try level 3 and then 4 and see what happens, but I need to see if I can locate the instructions online. The guy I bought the Smarty from lost them. Pepsi, the exhaust gas temps have been reasonable, in fact i cannot get them over 1075 degrees no matter what I do. That happened while pulling a trailer full of hay up a steep mountain and trying to keep it from downshifting. (I would love to have a manual transmission) I was trying to get the temps over 1000 degrees as Mike (Moparman) advised me that this would clean up the carbon. It was over, but not much. I am sure the higher levels will make this easier to achieveThanks for all the input guys. This website is nice.

I used the Revo settings, based off SW 9, max timing and -1 from max on duration... When I drive like an idiot, I get 15mpg, when I drive gingerly at 65 on the highway, I get 24mpg at best. General highway driving at 55-65 with some stops was 21-22 ish for the last trip, at about 65 F ambient temp.When I dialed the duration back, the power didn't come in a big lump either... very smooth and controllable.

anything specific they are working on? Im wondering my self as i have never felt any TM on my 99, but i have driven a 2002 and can feel it in 1st gear.

The 98's and 99's dont have t.m. Thats when dodge started getting a bad reputation in reguards to trannys. Dodge had an answer, to help save the life of the trannys they came up with tm. Thats what people tell me anyway.