• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

nv 5600 and exhaust brake

i came a cross an old thread on CF discussing pros and cons of the nv5600. the only thing unusual in it was a single post by someone stating you should only use an exhaust brake in 5th gear. no mention as to why or any responses to the post. i am just wondering if any of you have ever heard of any reason not to use an ebrake on a nv5600.:shrug:

makes no sense to me. obviously, the higher the engine rpm, the more braking HP is created.In my 4500 I'd use it in just about every gear..Now, do keep in mind that high hp engine-braking in lower gear is "reverse-loading" the gear sets, but still, never had an issue with the 4500. I don't have an EB on my 5600 (yet) but plan to do so, as soon as funds are available.

• Like 1

i have noticed when mine is on i hear, for lack of a better term, a faint clinking noise whenever it is on. i had noticed it with my original tranny also. i thought it was the tranny since the original went out on me. it was going out before the ebrake install. i still hear the same noise. it is faint but present. just have not been able to detirmine what i am hearing. it is definately due to the ebrake being on. i have read alot about the 5600 and never saw a statement like that any wher else.

i dont believe the noise is coming from the brake. it is faint but still audible and i can only think it is coming from the drive line somewhere up front. i heard it with the old tranny and the new to me tranny, so i am not sure where the noise is. the guy on CF said you should not use an eb on a nv5600 and i had never heard that anywhere before. i know alot of people with them have them so i am not sweating that one. the noise has me somewhat baffled. same noise in every geari love mine. one of the best mods i have installed. i came over the blue ridge mtns. and used my brakes twice because people slowed in front of me. stayed at or below the limit no problem.

the only time mine is off is when i have the cruise on. when i installed it i had a rebuilt ecm and the cruise did not work. so i did not connect it to the cruise control. one of these days i am going toget out the instructions and hook that up. just got used to turning it off when i cruise. seems like a small problem compared to everything else i have to catch up on with limited time at home.

• Owner

I have the faint tick noise at high R's when dropping gear with the exhaust brake. Still use it in all gears even with R's as high as 3K on the tach and drop the exhaust brake on it. The tick noise with disappear as the R's fall off below 2K.As for usage you can use the exhaust brake in all gears and all R's of the tach... Even the owner manual says that the best hold back power is near 3K R's...

• Like 1

i use mine in all gears. stays on all the time. just saw one reference to only using it in 5th by some guy over on cf. there were no replies to the post so i thought i would ask yall if you had ever heard of it. evidently no one has.my intructions said best braking would occur at rpm's of 2k or greater. i have dropped mine in to 3rd while empty and it will push into the dash at 2500. works very well.:thumbup2:

• Staff

I have used it when backing down some steep hills, 4 Lo, Reverse, EB... never touch the brake!I will also use mine to warm the motor up, but I like to wait until my coolant is about 60° so that the rings have time to get warmed up before the soot party begins. I use either 1,000 or 1,100 rpms to get to 60° and it never seems to take too long, then the EB and it's hot quick!I don't like to idle it longer than 2-3 minutes thou, but there are certain activities where it's needed.. But for those extended events I add a little Cetane boost to improve the low load combustion.

I'm sure the reason that person suggested to use the EB only in 5th gear on the 5600 was probably referring to the fact that 5th gear is direct input shaft to output shaft connection. That will reduce or eliminate reverse loading and will also reduce heat buildup. In saying that, I dont think everyday driving and using the EB in the other gears is going to be a problem. I tend to only use my EB in 4th gear (direct) while towing with my 4500.