• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Burnt Read Diff Fluid

John in a pinch you can do the following in the camp site. You'll need to be careful about cleaning up any moisture afterwards. But you could turn the grill on, or oven to 300 deg or less ( won't hurt the temper in the steel), put the bearings in the heat. Buy some dry ice and a cheap cooler. Put the carrier in the cooler for a long enough period that the metal is chilled all the way through (think hours and hours not mins.) The bearings will slip right on, with maybe some gentle persuasion. Of course the problem would be getting the old bearings off the carrier first. But again I'm thinking rented bearing puller and something stout enough for the puller to push against. It would work if you had to do it that way.

John in a pinch you can do the following in the camp site. You'll need to be careful about cleaning up any moisture afterwards. But you could turn the grill on, or oven to 300 deg or less ( won't hurt the temper in the steel), put the bearings in the heat. Buy some dry ice and a cheap cooler. Put the carrier in the cooler for a long enough period that the metal is chilled all the way through (think hours and hours not mins.) The bearings will slip right on, with maybe some gentle persuasion. Of course the problem would be getting the old bearings off the carrier first. But again I'm thinking rented bearing puller and something stout enough for the puller to push against. It would work if you had to do it that way.

The hanger/carrier bearing is mounted in rubber.

Took a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJGQm-qMkGA&feature=g-upl Cant hear anything much though spinning the wheels of the shaft. Best as I can tell the sounds is coming from back left wheel. Kind of sounds like dust or stones in a disc brake ... but their drums. Think I am goin to have to pull the tire and maybe the bearings and see if rust/dirt - there was very little/no play. Still chasing.

Uh.......... I heard nothing but bugs in the background. :)

As much as I think you posting a video is awesome, u-joints wont make noise unless they're stressed or ready to fall apart. And if they were ready to fall apart then you could easily spot the culprit just by turning the driveshaft by hand and watching for movement in the u-joint themselves. So get under there and start grabbing, turning, and tugging on stuff and see if you spot anything loose.

- - - Updated - - -

These are both extreme examples of failed u-joints but at least its an example of what kind of movement you're looking for when twisting the driveshaft by hand. Sometimes the movement is minimal but just note that there should be NO movement from one u-joint cap to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkW6qd9C8hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEIyscDRgM

Should have said that there seems to be no play or issues in the ujoints. And although carrier bearing looks rough it might not be that either. So thinking back rear wheel .... But nothing obvious yet .... Just seems to be where it's comming ....

All the other replys are good but lets stick with the simple first.Pull the brake drums and see what the brake pads and drums look like and then you will see if there is any oil leak starting at an outer wheel bearing.Much like u-joints they can make noise in one direction but load them up in the opposite direction and they will not make a sound.

• 1 month later...

Haha Well on the quiet. Part of me has been considering trading in for a classic truck - Chevy apache stepside or similar Can't see me doing it ..,,,, but hmmm

Could swap in a classic Chevy rear axle and get rid of the factory junk. I'm so looking forward to when I get around to doing the swap to mine. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2