• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need your knowledge! Upcoming Part Interchange Article

Guys, I've gotten the go ahead from Mike to put out some feelers for an article that would be useful for us. Let's face it. The newest 2nd gens are a decade old. The oldest 12v rumbled off the line 17 years ago. Engine swaps, junk yard parts crawls and even "Parts Trucks" are going to become a part of our vocabulary, much like they did the Mopars of the 1960s. We need to put together a parts change article, or several articles to illustrate the changes from year to year on our trucks. Having a breakdown of the differences will let us go to the yard and know what will and won't work, and also having photos of all this stuff wouldn't be horrible either! Eventually, this may morph into an interchange article, but for now we can focus on the changes between model years.For starters, if we can get the details on the engine/electrical/sensor changes (engine), drive train (DT) changes, and chassis/suspension (C/S) changes from year to yearI can start . If you have photos, throw them up. And if anybody says something that doesn't match your truck, bring it up and mabe we can figure it out. C/SWhen did the floating front brake rotors appear? 2000-2002 had the same brakes. Previously, the brakes are somewhat difficult to change rotors by comparision. DT2002 model years did not have the vacuum CAD (Center Axle Disconnect) that was on earlier years. So, what other model year to year changes were there?

• Like 4

Another tidbit HX35W turbos will fit all Dodge Ram Truck from 1989 to 2002. Direct swap part. :whistle:

Hmmm... HY35W might be a good one for the old 1st gen wih smaller HP numbers.

Turbos? Anybody have a breakdown of the HY,HX, and the years they were used?

- - - Updated - - -

CAD, drum brakes , turbo hy35 , map sensor are main ones I can think of - good article/idea btw

Drum brakes on the rear were pre 2002 right? I know my 2000 has drums, but the 2002 does not. What bout the 01s?

Also, when did the full float front brakes come out? I want to say 2000. Before then it was a rather old school design.

Cool stuff guys! I am putting it into a spreadsheet that we can flip down or even make searchable if it got big enough. I am going to try to base it off of build dates. There will be some oddball trucks out there I am sure, but this will make things easier overall, and can map the changes.Other stuff to add... 2500 5sp and 6sp had the Dana 80 rear end. 2500 auto has dana 70s with different gear ratios.I don't know about the front axle, I believe other than the 2500-3500 hub differences they were the same across the board right?Also, what engine sensor changes were there?I know that 98.5-00 were similar, but there was a change at 00-02. Something about a crank position sensor that moved? I've read that due to this, ECM/PCMs won't swap from the early VP trucks to the later VP trucks, but I haven't verified. Anybody know for sure?I also seem to recall reading about the OEM 5sp OD fix occurring around 99, but again I dont' recall. I wish I had written some of this stuff down when I learned it at the time.

Good idea, CSM. Lots of people would benefit from this, for sure. On the slip on rotors you asked about, you are right 99 was the last year of the rotors bieng pressed into the hub. 2000 had the slip ons. I also wanted to mention that although 99 percent of the 2500 autos have the dana 70, it is possible they had the 80. I found this out on my previous 2000 auto when i had to tear into it for repairs and received the wrong parts when i ordered for a 70. I talked to local dealership and it had been ordered this way. Anyhow, all rear dana axles should be stamped on the left side of the pinion on the bottom side, kind of in the crotch where the tube and the pumpkin meet. Good luck with everything, youll certainly have your work cut out for you! :thumbup2:

I also wanted to mention that although 99 percent of the 2500 autos have the dana 70, it is possible they had the 80. I found this out on my previous 2000 auto when i had to tear into it for repairs and received the wrong parts when i ordered for a 70.

I must be part of the 1%! I have a Dana 80. Great idea.