• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil pressure

Evening everyone!I had a weird observation yesterday that was out of the norm. here it goes.normally on my engine when i startup cold with ambient temps around 75F it will idle around ~28psi max. (for testing only) when revved cold at same ambient temp it will hit maybe ~65psi max.last night sitting in the garage at work i started it up and it was around 75ambient and idle psi was 40-42, revved to test it peaked at 80+!driving home i kept an eye on it and once fully warmed up it went to normal, 25 stabel at idle and 59-62 revved to test. appx 2000rpm.tonight i changed the filter from cheapo to the usual purolator pure one with the grippy crap on it to see if there was something that came apart in the chepo filter. no change.so i am deducing that the sensor is on its way out.there are no other abnormal sounds/ticks/bangs etc etc that i have heard when cold or hot during all this. fingers crossed its just a sensor failing. Ill take the $80 hit over a teardown to find a blockage!thoughts?

Cant help ya out with all the noises but as far as oil pressure 80 psi is nothing to be worried about when cold. Mine sits at 80 at idle when cold, even in the middle of summer. Driving down the road when fully warmed up is still well over 60.

interesting, thanks for the input on the stats on yours. Glad its not just me. Now i do see these numbers when he has been sitting in the cold of winter on startup. btw there are no noises pointing to rod knock etc etc :) this is a good thing! anyone else chime in with their cold start pressure readings?

Mine runs about 60psi cold, and 40 when fully warmed up.I run a lubriguard product, but will need to verify the viscosity at lunch. (viscosity can make a very large difference in oil pressures both at startup and at running temperature.)Hag

• Owner

No one caught on to the fact that the oil pressure gauge is not actual pressure right? Being you can modify the gauge reading by fooling the ECT sensor is not a true reading. More or less a dummy gauge or dummy light.I actually tested my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge it doesn't vary when the ECT is flip. :whistle:

I did catch that. The temp gauge is the same way, just reads voltage, not pressure or temperature. So when you cut the power to the ect, you saw the voltage at the oil pressure increase. Im was just surprised that the gauge clusters vary, my 2000 had the same cluster that i have now. So they must have changed em in 01?

• 1 month later...

I have a very expensive stewart warner mechanical oil pressure gauge on my truck. My gauge only reads till 100psi, but when I cold start it will barey the gauge! and when its up to temp. im always 50-60psi idleing depending on how thin the oil is!!so yes yours is perfectly fine. my motor was rebuilt by cummins in Regina SK. and paid the $210.00 extra for a 25% better oil pump.

When I had my quadzilla on my truck I had the pulse monitor on it. I could read oil pressure and coolant temp from the pulse display and it was reading it off the data link by the fuel pump. I am wondering when you flip that switch if it messes with the 5v supply signal to the oil pressure gauge or something because it gave me good reading through the dlc.