• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Terrible luck with Raptor.

I really just want to see if it is just me or if others have the same luck. 3 years ago i smoked an airdog 150. Bad seal between motor and pump burned it up. 8 months thirteen days on that one. Replaced with a raptor 100. 123 days later, bad seal, smoked motor. Replaced with a raptor 150, Big lines from DSV to VP. A year and change later. Dead. Opened it up and I'm telling you, no magnets left. Just a big pile of soot and carbon inside. Replaced with a warrantied 150. Eight months to the day, same thing. Dead. Only this time, brushes as well. I rigged up a stocker with some fittings and hooked it to the biglines of the Raptors, plugged it into the raptor harness and away we go. Holds 14 steady with an easy foot and thats what i'm going with. I am not a fan of those pumps and going to run this untill i can afford an assasin. Got to be the biggest pile of horsepucky ive ever seen. :moon::moon:

I purchased a Raptor 100 and it failed within a month. Motor turned but it wouldn't pump. I just got another from Pureflow and installed the other day. I'm hoping this will run for a while. I'm going to take the failed pump to an auto electric shop and have them look at it. I could not see why it didn't pump, unless the internal resistance slowed the pump down so slow it didn't have the RPM's to pump.

Thats the frustrating part, all the major forums have a hundred guys with a pump that has lasted forever. I obviously cant get another pump that was built in the good old days. Seems to me if a company keeps putting out junk they would do something about it.

• Owner

Well the original owner of Pureflow had the idea of producing a quality fuel system that would end most of the VP44 issues. Which it did. Now he sold the company and the new owner stepped in with a bunch of MIT students and ask to redesign everything. Now they have and created this issue. I've even gone as far as talking with one of the sales reps from Pureflow and told them of the issues and problems. All I got was, "We'll advise our tech dept of the issues." No other follow up phone calls nothing. Of course nothing happened either in regards to the pumps they kept producing the same thing cutting corners and skimping on quality looking out for the bottom line (profit).(Personal opinion)

It takes people a while to build trust... I know in our boat service marina, that trust was hard earned but we always treated people right. The new owners swept away 17 years of goodwill overnight. Screwed over loyal customers. Once the trust is broken... built up over years... it takes forever to recover it, if you even can. Your reputation is everything. In the case of AD/Raptor, everything is riding on our lift pump. These trucks are our babies... no room for products which don't stand up.

I guess I've had my head under a rock. I haven't heard of any AD problems. I have an AD 100that I put on and have not had a problem with it. 3 Years. When did their products start going to s%^t ?and should I be worried about my setup ? :banghead:Luke

• Staff

I really just want to see if it is just me or if others have the same luck. 3 years ago i smoked an airdog 150. Bad seal between motor and pump burned it up. 8 months thirteen days on that one. Replaced with a raptor 100. 123 days later, bad seal, smoked motor. Replaced with a raptor 150, Big lines from DSV to VP. A year and change later. Dead. Opened it up and I'm telling you, no magnets left. Just a big pile of soot and carbon inside. Replaced with a warrantied 150. Eight months to the day, same thing. Dead. Only this time, brushes as well. I rigged up a stocker with some fittings and hooked it to the biglines of the Raptors, plugged it into the raptor harness and away we go. Holds 14 steady with an easy foot and thats what i'm going with. I am not a fan of those pumps and going to run this untill i can afford an assasin. Got to be the biggest pile of horsepucky ive ever seen. :moon::moon:

When you opened it up did you see an easy way of installing a better shaft seal? I think that is the problem anyhow. TIA

Ive only had the seal blow out on the first one and the air dog. When i called for the warranty, i asked why they sent seals for the bottom plate and regulator but no seal for the shaft. They said it was some proprietory size exclusive to them. Well, must be because ive not been able to find one anywhere. It is an odd size and thickness. I did get something that i thought would work, but they also said that when the motor gets soaked with diesel it never really works after that. I used electronic cleaner and everything, and it never worked. My last two were just jammed with carbon from the magnets.

- - - Updated - - -

Just re- read your last. I suspose if i get it chucked up in the lathe you could increase the slot some to accept a thicker seal. I would think you would want to tighten the tolerance between the housing and the bearing to take the slop out between the two and that would be a bigger bearing. If i had to make one i wouldnt have to buy one. Goint to go to an assassin anyway. Im very experienced with mechanical pumps out of my race cars so going to the keep it simple stupid approach.

• Like 1

I've got a old school AirDog with over 5-6 years on mine. The new owners of Pureflow seem of made AirDog/Raptor into junk these days. Cutting corners in quality.:nono:

I had an "old school" version of the Raptor 100 and loved it... well 18 months later it went ____ up and stopped working. Let it cool down and it worked fine but I had lost faith in it. Called the current company and the rep was worthless at ____ on a boar hog, telling me that I did not have any warranty at all, so called Missouri to the original factory and they said "you are an older customer" so we will support you. They sent me a new pump on warranty and its running fine but this thread sure does not make me want to take any long trips in the truck now... FT