• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Terrible luck with Raptor.

I've been talking to Irish Power Mad over on Cummins Forum and looking at the tractors and AG equipment for lift pumps. Why is it that they have no problems with lift pumps? So maybe there is another way around this mess.

I'd think they aren't trying to move as much (high volume) plus keep the reqd. pressure. How much is the AD putting back to the tank... before it even gets to the IP? Half?? :shrug: Plus, a lot of tractors have fuel tanks that will have a positive head pressure.. (when tank(s) are full)... and the pump doesn't have to 'work' quite as hard.. a lot of tractors have fuel levels typically ABOVE the lift pump and IP location.. Most of my masseys' lps are more of a 'transfer' pump.. No lifting reqd! but then again, my iron is old, and all have mechanicals anyway.. OR.... maybe the dumb things are just built better in the first place... whats typically going 'bad' with these AD's? poor seal allowing fuel into the motor?

Also had a 150 with a bad motor seal. Did the factory ask you guys to return your old pump? My first contact with the factory was trying to find out what size the in and out fittings were. I was sure they were #12 jic but lived out in the boonies so I asked them before ordering. They said the bore was 3/4 inch 12 and had never heard of #12 jic. 30yrs as a HD mechanic and I have never heard of 3/4 12. They blew me off. They are a bunch of block heads. The bores are tapped #12jic.

• Staff

Also had a 150 with a bad motor seal. Did the factory ask you guys to return your old pump? My first contact with the factory was trying to find out what size the in and out fittings were. I was sure they were #12 jic but lived out in the boonies so I asked them before ordering. They said the bore was 3/4 inch 12 and had never heard of #12 jic. 30yrs as a HD mechanic and I have never heard of 3/4 12. They blew me off. They are a bunch of block heads. The bores are tapped #12jic.

Since they do sound like block heads I wish I had waited one more year I would of found out about the problems and said no thanks.

I have had my raptor for almost a year now I have had to adjust the fuel pressure a few times but it still seems to work okay. I bought it over the FASS because I had heard of them being very loud. Loud enough you could hear it over the truck running. Has anybody used the BD diesel lift pumps and hopefully had better luck.

Since they do sound like block heads I wish I had waited one more year I would of found out about the problems and said no thanks.

ME TOO!! I have a brand new one still in the box.. (AD100) I wonder if there is a better seal to install NOW, before it smokes out??

The air dog or raptor folks have never asked for any of my bad pumps back. They just sent new ones. Anyway, I'm done with them. Really looking at a fuel boss or an assasin. If i do use an assasin im going to use a different regulator, maybe a fuel boss or a kinsler.

• 1 month later...

Old thread but I thought this is the place for my comment. I had been having to slowly turn my Raptor up over time and was getting alot of pressure drop at wot. Changed the filter but no help. Was going to pull it apart but before I got to it we had a week of single digit temps here and one cold 6 deg morning my gauge was at 30psi. My first thought was that fuel had gelled in my line to the sender and it would release when it warmed up. It didn't so I figured the cheap Glowshift sender crapped again but before replacing I put a mechanical gauge in the test port and it confirmed the 30 psi. I turned it down to 18 and hooked the Glowshift up again and it agrees with mech gauge. Now pressure is rock solid with only a few psi drop at wot:shrug::shrug:. I can't explain it but I wanted to share it. Hope I didn't wreck anything running at 30psi. I guess time will tell.

I am getting scared to purchase a Raptor now. I don’t understand why a solution like the Walbro, or the new Holly black pumps are not more popular in the diesel circles. The Holly is guaranteed for 3000 hours with gas or diesel. I know no one makes a kit for them to extend the stock wiring harness so you get a momentary on like the stock pump, but I don’t think that would be that difficult. Am I missing something regarding that?It seems like everyone runs a filter in front of the pump anyway, so the only extra item would be a pressure regulator for the Holly. The Walbro is not the quality of the Holly, but should work, and seems to according to some people….

• Staff

Me to. If I was in the market for a new transfer pump I would be worrying about the recent feedback I have been seeing on the Raptors. Good thing I am not looking, but if I was I would be in a bit of a quandry right now.

Me too..... I sure wish someone could get another replacement pump that they don't want and tear it down with pics. Might be very interesting.

Which is better, the Assassin or the Glacier mechanical pump?

Assassin is way better, as far as the plumbing kit goes.

My next question is if the electric pumps run for a moment to put pressure to the VP44, then dose the mechanical pump promote long starts?

Not at all. I haven't heard of anyone having hard starts because of the lift pump. The trucks busts off just as quick, if not quicker than a truck with an electric lift pump, along with an immediate positive pressure reading. :thumbup2: