• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Homemade exhaust brake

has anyone made their own exhaust brake? I've always thought about using a exhaust cut out (like for use on gassers to dump out before mufflers.) because a exhaust brake is basically a butterfly valve in the exhaust. the biggest problem i could see is the valve not opening back up because of the exhaust pressure. what is everyone's opinion? :think:

We have about 20 Cummins/Jacobs Exhaust brakes we got on a pallet. They are new in the box. Not sure it is worth re-inventing when we have them for nearly 1/2 price.

Got any pacbrakes? I'm in the market for an EB, but will need something that will work with my auto. Whatchya got? :think:

• Owner

Got any pacbrakes? I'm in the market for an EB, but will need something that will work with my auto. Whatchya got? :think:

Be aware the PacBrake is a bit different than the manual. I've got a local that got one and is not very happen because it only works in the upper gear while locked up. So some trans work mine need to be done to gain the lower gears.

Making the item more searchable.Should be able to make it work on an automatic with a TC lock up switch.You will need the hx35 back plate that uses a flange instead of the 5bolt flange with the elbow attached. Adding pictures to the site shortly. If someone wants to post a link it would make it easier to understand fitment with the pictures.

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering why it wouldnt work with an auto, I did a search on them last night and 2 sites I found them on said there was only 2 or 3 years of the 3rd gens the e brakes would work?So if all I need is a plate for my HX, (already have a tc lockup), I would still be interested :thumbup2:

Making the item more searchable. Should be able to make it work on an automatic with a TC lock up switch. You will need the hx35 back plate that uses a flange instead of the 5bolt flange with the elbow attached. Adding pictures to the site shortly. If someone wants to post a link it would make it easier to understand fitment with the pictures.

Could you also pm me a quote on the brake? Any pictures of the turbo outlet needed would help also. Rick

Be aware the PacBrake is a bit different than the manual. I've got a local that got one and is not very happen because it only works in the upper gear while locked up. So some trans work mine need to be done to gain the lower gears.

Eh, please elaborate a little more on this... I thought pacbrake is just an exhaust brake, its just the brand name? How does it function differently than another?

- - - Updated - - -

Making the item more searchable.

Should be able to make it work on an automatic with a TC lock up switch.

You will need the hx35 back plate that uses a flange instead of the 5bolt flange with the elbow attached. Adding pictures to the site shortly. If someone wants to post a link it would make it easier to understand fitment with the pictures.

Elaborate on this more about using a lockup switch? I asked about this sort of thin before and I got negative feedback about a TC switch.

Eh, please elaborate a little more on this... I thought pacbrake is just an exhaust brake, its just the brand name? How does it function differently than another?

- - - Updated - - -

Elaborate on this more about using a lockup switch? I asked about this sort of thin before and I got negative feedback about a TC switch.

I recently put a Pacbrake on my truck. The controllor that comes with it controls tc lockup in 3rd and 4th. (D and OD) It can lock the tc in 1st and 2nd if you have a modified valve body. It works really good for me but I'd really like to get the 2nd gear lockup working and maybe a better lockup controllor since the stock one cuts out at I think 30 mph. As far as the lockup switch I have one but don't use it at all now since that's all taken care of by the ebrake controllor. Hope this helps.