• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Back to stock injectors for a short time

Personally I think they would be too hot to use at least for me. Just running around loaded with firewood and getting a heavy foot I can tip the 1,200*F in exhaust temperatures. This why I'm looking at the RV as the next test. Load it up! :hyper:

New ones I hope.:think:

• Staff

So injectors meter fuel? I thought on poppet injectors they provided a pressure drop across the nozzle appropriate for the fuel volume and popped at a consistent pressure? I thought the VP44 is where the actual metering happened. I know your truck, as a common rail, meters with injectors... but help me out here. :)

The ECM meters the fuel on all 98.5+ Cummins. The ECM meters it thru the VP on 2nd gen's and thru the injector on 3rd and 4th gens, but the ECM is where it actually occurs.
  • Like 1

• Staff

Personally I think they would be too hot to use at least for me. Just running around loaded with firewood and getting a heavy foot I can tip the 1,200*F in exhaust temperatures. This why I'm looking at the RV as the next test. Load it up! :hyper:

I am curious to see how it goes, you are defiantly pushing some fuel for that turbo. I was playing with my tow tune and upped my fuel by a low 5% on the top end and with the 93° temps yesterday I was able to push thru 1250° if I tried up a 7% grade and accelerating at WOT. So back down I go... it's amazing how quick a little fuel adds heat. It's so hard to compare towing EGT's to empty EGT's, I rarely even touch 1100° WOT with my current fuel and empty, but hook up and roll up a 7% grade at just under 18K GCW and it will get there pretty easy.

• Owner

It'd be cool to eventually test with +75 HP injectors, and then bump up to some +90 or +100, just to see how they perform, MPG wise.

Personally I think they would be too hot to use at least for me. Just running around loaded with firewood and getting a heavy foot I can tip the 1,200*F in exhaust temperatures. This why I'm looking at hitching up the RV as the next test. Load it up! :hyper:

I was replying to Texas CTD idea of continuing up the the scale of injectors.

It'd be cool to eventually test with +75 HP injectors, and then bump up to some +90 or +100, just to see how they perform, MPG wise.

STOCK->RV275->+75vco CPP -> 0.010"*7 sac (150hp) .... I see no net difference really with the change in injector. The problem is its hard to compare even with fuel logs which I keep each fuelup as I definately drive the truck differently at 500HP than I did at 400HP. PLus other mods inbetween. I can say with reasonable accuracy - that stepping up to a good 150hp injector I can still pull my best numbers on the highway .... ~ 20-21 mpg ....... same as I could with a timing chip and rv275;s. :thumbup2: The more power the more fun it is to drive though .... so for me the 150's are the best ..... I did like the +75;s too though.
  • Like 1

• Owner

Between the Vulcan Performance +50 Injectors and my Edge Comp on 5x3 its a wicked amount of power. There is nothing little about the the power gains. I've still got problems under heavy throttle keeping the tire tires from breaking free on dry pavement. :burnout2:As for injector performance. I've notice a change of the last few days as the injectors are getting quieter and quieter. There is nearly no injector rattle occur now. Very very similar sounding in the cab to a 3rd gen Dodge. Idle is really smooth and steady now. Very little to zero smoke set with 5x3 on the Edge Comp (120 HP max power with 67% stock fuel till 10 PSI of boost). I'm hoping this next week I get to do a RV test and report back with that. Also get the ScanGauge II verified. As for kicking the pig and opening up to 5x5. Now you got a smoke monster. I was playing around up on the forestry roads and Wow! Talk about blacking out the road behind me. (Night!?)As for hauling firewood and climbing grades its truly a different story between the RV275 and the +50 HP. I've seen good power and such with the RV275's but now playing with the +50 HP wow! Even my buddy Taz (here on the site) happen to mention how much harder it was to keep head upright as I drop the hammer on the throttle. It pulls hard and very very strong even MoparMom has commented on the pulling power.As for MPG's no I've not calibrated or verified yet but numbers are very similar to the RV275's slightly better at times.

• Like 2

This is interesting. Now I'm torn between DFI 50's and DAP 75's I just want to be able to get maximum milage, with a tiny boost in power of course...

We will have 60HP built up shortly. There really is not much difference in mpg until you hit 100hp, even then its not that bad until you get closer to 200HP. Glad you like the new injectors Mopar1973Man!

I like what you have to say Mike! I can't wait to get some injectors in mine!I'm going to go with DAP's 75's. Just going to be a little longer, when you need a new vp44, ball joints, brakes all around, a turbo, a manifold, and $1,800 worth of dental work all at the same time you kinda got to prioritize :lmao:

The exhaust brake is hanging me with a HX35W turbo permanently. So I'll never be upgrading turbos.

Have you considered doing a HX35/40 hybrid? It's basically putting an HX40 compressor section on your existing HX35. That is definitely one of the best towing and general purpose turbochargers I've seen for a 5.9, better airflow, and nice cool EGT's. Pretty inexpensive to do as well.

• Owner

Have you considered doing a HX35/40 hybrid? It's basically putting an HX40 compressor section on your existing HX35. That is definitely one of the best towing and general purpose turbochargers I've seen for a 5.9, better airflow, and nice cool EGT's. Pretty inexpensive to do as well.

Ain't happening now... I already spent big money getting the last one fixed... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/7143-Destroyed-a-turbo-with-a-hose-clamp?highlight=hose+clamp

• Staff

They make non HX35 mounted exhaust brakes, but it's more $$$.180hp over stock on a HX35 means too much having to watch the skinny pedal and pyro for me. I like being able to go WOT with a trailer up a 6% grade and not having EGT issues.

35/40 is a poor option. the restriction is in the exhaust side and adding more air on the compressor side is not going to add much.

There is a new "stock" replacement turbo that will be available shortly. I believe it is based off a k27. Been talking with the engineer developing it for several months. He needed a test mule for higher altitude, but it needed to be a stock truck or I would have done it. I will provide details once they are allowed to release them.

- - - Updated - - -

I still have some of the cummins exhaust brakes for hx35 for $550 left. I must not have done a good job advertising them.

I still have some of the cummins exhaust brakes for hx35 for $550 left. I must not have done a good job advertising them.

That's on my list! :stirthepot: But due to money, that won't happen anytime soon. :duh::broke: Too bad Mike didn't know about the injectors when the turbo took a poo. :mad: