• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vehicle Accident

• Owner

Yeah once again toned out to another vehicle accident in the valley. Another accident involving excessive speed, a semi truck and a Dodge Durango. Semi truck was traveling too fast and came up on a pile of traffic slowing down because of a car turning off the highway. The Semi truck was traveling to fast to react and slow down so he veered into on coming traffic to prevent rear ending the vehicle ahead of him. So smacked a Dodge Durango head on. People in the Dodge Durango survived as far as I know they where sent off to the hospital driver life flighted and the passenger sent by ambulance. The driver of the Semi truck was shaken up but walking around. Please people slow down, take your time, and give space to the vehicle ahead of you so you don't end up like this.

• Like 3

• Staff

I drive safe, never over 5 above the limit and slower in congested areas. When I go into town it's like you get these mad dog hurry up speeders behind you all the time. Makes me want a big ole honkin' smoke switch to puke them out:pant:.Some of them are the rudest people you'll ever see.... so do most you guys have smoke switches? Or do you just live with the idiots and ignor them?

• Owner

I drive safe, never over 5 above the limit and slower in congested areas.

That's the problem out here is just a open country road winding down through the canyon with a speed limit of 65 MPH. People typically driving 65-70 MPH down this road and some decides to turn in a driveway the next vehicle behind see the turn signal but now the second vehicle doesn't and doesn't understand why the slow down some pass at this point some can't slow down fast enough. I've clocked 80K pound logging trucks traveling the canyon at 68-70 MPH being I know they get paid by the load that typically do speed excessively. No matter what a 80K pound truck is going to take a while to slow down from 65-70 MPH to 0 MPH. This is really common since there is homes all along the highway out here with people turning off and on the highway to their homes. Me personally I drive constantly asking questions. Q: What if grandma pulls out of the next driveway around the next blind corner? Q: What if a deer comes bailing up the next blind hillside onto the highway? Q: What if Farmer Joe pulls out if his feed lot with a trailer load of cows? Like a accident I saw in New Meadows years ago Logging Truck vs. Cow. The both lost in that one. The logging truck was going 68-70 MPH and hit a cow in the dark of the night. Nevertheless the impact was so strong that the front axle was torn out from under the tractor. Once again speed being the factor and not being to able to avoid obstacles in the highway. As far as most people think they are not speeding.

No smoke switch here. I use my exhaust brake when people tailgate. Most of the time it only takes one time and folks will back off, harder cases take twice, but it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I don't understand is why in order to avoid a rear end collision would you choose a head on collision? In my years I have had avoid a few things, but the left lane has always been in my mind as no place to go.

Something I don't understand is why in order to avoid a rear end collision would you choose a head on collision? In my years I have had avoid a few things, but the left lane has always been in my mind as no place to go.

X2

• Owner

... and I'm the one that gets teased about driving 55-60 MPH every where. :duh:

Like today I've got to head to McCall, ID for groceries. Distance: 35 miles one way.

Mopar Icon Notes
Time Formula: Distance in Miles / Speed in MPH = Time in Hours x 60 = Time in Minutes

55 MPH = 0.63 hours x 60 = 37.8 minutes

65 MPH = 0.53 hours x 60 = 31.8 minutes

Difference of: 6 minutes

So for difference of 6 minutes I'm willing to slow down on the highway save fuel and protect my family life. There is absolutely nothing to worth driving faster for.

• Like 2

Ditto on the opposing lane being no option. 25 years ago, I was driving my boss's 4 banger S10 between the 2 locations... Raining lightly, traffic stacked up in front of me, guy waiting for opposing traffic so he could make a left turn... I was quickly running out of room, was going to hit somebody. I tried the right shoulder & when I cut it back, the back end came around sideways. I slid that truck neatly up the end of a buried guardrail on the frame like a balanced see-saw. A tow truck winched it down (for all the cash in my wallet) & I continued on my way. Meanwhile boss's brother had driven by to see the truck perched there but didn't stop. I get back & boss said, I meant to tell you the brakes are touchy!!

• Staff

... and I'm the one that gets teased about driving 55-60 MPH every where. :duh:

Like today I've got to head to McCall, ID for groceries. Distance: 35 miles one way.

Mopar Icon Notes
Time Formula: Distance in Miles / Speed in MPH = Time in Hours x 60 = Time in Minutes

55 MPH = 0.63 hours x 60 = 37.8 minutes

65 MPH = 0.53 hours x 60 = 31.8 minutes

Difference of: 6 minutes

So for difference of 6 minutes I'm willing to slow down on the highway save fuel and protect my family life. There is absolutely nothing to worth driving faster for.

X2 here. You can take time to enjoy the trip and enjoy life.

Add too allowing time helps you to realize the things that you would have otherwise forgotten in town.

I was on my way to work a month or so a go. i was working a big shutdown and had to be in early so I left my house around 215am. I got about 6 or 7 miles down the road and was cresting up over a hill and saw some eyeballs in the road. deer are extremely common around here so that was my initial thought. I slowed down and as I got closer realized these were much larger. I got down to about 10mph and got close enough to realize there were 4 horses standing in a huddle in the middle of the road. They were just standing there staring at me like I was bothering them so I tooted my horn and they split in different directions. I didn't have time to stop and start knocking on doors (I live in farm country and they could have belonged to anybody) so I did the next best thing and called the Sherriff. I gave them an exact location as it was within a few hundred feet of an intersection with a dirt road and told them if I hadn't of slowed down and honked at them they probably would have stood there until I hit them. They said they would send an officer out right away. Later that morning around 6am my cousin was passing through and in the same area a lady had come through in an SUV and plowed 2 of them. She was going fast enough to kill both horses and my cousin said it destroyed the SUV. I looked in the paper for a report the next several days and saw nothing. I wonder how that lady turned out, I feel horrible for leaving before the sherriff showed up.

• Like 1

• Staff

In many instances I'm driving slower than the limit because of too many other drivers just like that. I want an electronic bumper sticker that goes like this ...:moon:.... and says go ahead an tailgate :)

In many instances I'm driving slower than the limit because of too many other drivers just like that. I want an electronic bumper sticker that goes like this ...:moon:.... and says go ahead an tailgate :)

Just get one of those programmable scrolling LED light bars that sams used to sell in the 90s and you can just type in a message... Hey babe! What are you doing Saturday night? Pass, you're a retard... You have food on your face... still there... yep... still there... Can you lick your elbow? 6.0L Ford? You have my pity. Need a tow later? Go Broncos... or whatever.

Later that morning around 6am my cousin was passing through and in the same area a lady had come through in an SUV and plowed 2 of them. She was going fast enough to kill both horses and my cousin said it destroyed the SUV. I looked in the paper for a report the next several days and saw nothing. I wonder how that lady turned out, I feel horrible for leaving before the sherriff showed up.

My little quarter horse weighed 1000#... far heavier than a deer... maybe if folks realized their precious auto will SERIOUSLY damaged or TOTALED they be more careful. She might indeed have been injured in such a crash. Colliding with a horse will undoubtedly break his leg & anything short of a million dollar stud will result in the horse being put down if still alive. Perhaps better the horses didn't survive. We always went to great lengths to keep our horses at home.

That's the problem out here is just a open country road winding down through the canyon with a speed limit of 65 MPH. People typically driving 65-70 MPH down this road and some decides to turn in a driveway the next vehicle behind see the turn signal but now the second vehicle doesn't and doesn't understand why the slow down some pass at this point some can't slow down fast enough. I've clocked 80K pound logging trucks traveling the canyon at 68-70 MPH being I know they get paid by the load that typically do speed excessively. No matter what a 80K pound truck is going to take a while to slow down from 65-70 MPH to 0 MPH. This is really common since there is homes all along the highway out here with people turning off and on the highway to their homes.

I will clue you in on a bit of info. If your state regulations are anything like here in TN that allows logging trucks to go upto 100,000 lbs. due to logistical issues with weighing and loading the trucks on the logging site, I bet those 80,000 lb. trucks you are speaking of are much more than you think. And you and I both know, with profit margins what they are for loggers, they are going to load as much on those trailers as they can get away with.

• Owner

:duh:Gone out again for another vehicle accident. Once again a motorcycle rider was going way to fast and hit the side of the mountain with his motorcycle. Please people slow down there is absolutely nothing worse than ruining a vacation by speeding and getting into a serious accident. Then got to run for a vehicle fire at the other end of the district but was called off before I got half way.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I ran up on a semi on its side all tore up. Several hours later traffic was backed wayyyyy up. Turns out there were 3 separate accidents. The semi truck said traffic came to an abrupt half and he swerved to miss cars. The rest is here. http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/local/multiple-crashes-snarl-interstate-traffic/article_8ede0fa2-e02b-11e2-9d49-0019bb30f31a.html So there you have it. Stupid people passing semi trucks so they can maintain 80mph with their TT. Then people who can't tell if traffic is going slow or not so they just plow them. I believe our drivers license system in the US is way too lax. You should be retested completely every 5 years. The people in my city are complete idiots and I could make a list a page long of the stuff they do. My dad knew the drivers license person and apparently didn't even have to take the damn test back in the early 70's so he's been golden ever since. In Europe you have to take mandatory driving courses and prove yourself in every situation, including powersliding the vehicle and being able to get it back under control.

• Staff

The way people drive :cookoo: I can see this easily happening. On the interstates I typically try getting in behind a Semi tractor trailer. If there's a pile up ahead, he can clear a path for me. :thumbup2:I don't know if it's the safest place, but, at least I know I can stop on time. Most don't want to go trucker speed so they don't cut in front neither.

I wonder if it needs to go into law to turn your hazards on if you are in a traffic jam. I mean it is hard to judge how fast traffic is actually going sometimes but if they have their hazards on then you know they are moving very slow so you don't have to do any guesswork. All those accidents cept for the TT one prove the difficultly it is in judging how fast traffic is actually going. If it was law to turn your hazards on anytime you are like 20 under the limit, then people would know they were coming up on slow traffic and they would be prepared to stop. Whenever you come up on traffic that is slowing down you always assume they are just going slow to pass a semi, then you get closer and closer and find out they are going 5mph and have to slam on you brakes. Hazards would tell you to get 20 under at the maximum when coming up on them and you would have a lot better chance of stopping.

• Like 1

I think a very good idea to activate hazard flashers when traveling substantially below the speed limit. I use my hazards when backing out of parking... when in reverse... it can be difficult to see around other vehicles. So it creep back a little, look again, creep back, etc... I can't prove it helps but at least I'm trying. WM & grocery lots with high foot traffic are the worst.