• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vacuum pump - Rebuild time!

• Owner

Hey Gang...Just to skip hunting over the site I know you guys can spit out the place to get vacuum pump rebuild kit. Mine is finally starting to leak engine oil and getting the side of the block hosed with engine oil. Not enough to drip on the floor of the shop but it won't be long. So could you point to the information on the vacuum pump rebuild kit and any helpful hint would be great.

I just got mine from cummins. It was less than $20 iirc and came with instructions too. Pretty easy to do

Did this one come with a double lip seal? I know I saw one from cummins with the double lip seal I think on ebay.
  • Like 1

Genos came with the double lip seal.

That one is the Goulds kit. I have heard a lot good things about it. Just not sure I need all the extras.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was just like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-Cummins-5-9-Vacuum-Pump-Seal-Kit-/261191918127?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd040622f&vxp=mtr

I did not use the bigger thin oring that came with the kit because it didn't seem thick enough so I reused the old one.

Had you ever done one before and was it fairly self explanatory when you took it apart?

Appreciate you bringing this up Mike. Looks like I am going to have some time to work on mine soon.

• Like 1

Mine is leaking as well, drips everyday, I'll post pics or tips in a week or two when I do it. Geno's has 10% off fleetguard filters in the month of July so I'll wait till the 1st to order the Goulds kit with CD and save on some filters too! The seal kit is $30, the seal kit and instructional CD is $60.

I got mine from genos as well. Great kit. Even gives you spares. But if you don't screw it up the first time, you have parts left over for a second re-seal!I would give you a couple tips:1. Know how to drain/fill the ps fluid through the lines. I coul not figure it out so it made it a bit messy for me.2. You may have to install the pump/ps unit together as one. I felt it was easier to do it that way in a way as you gotta mount it back in with the gasket to the timing case and gears have to mesh together. But you don't have to fight putting the vac pump back on after as it can be cluttered and cumbersome to do.3. Its heavier than one would think when putting it back on in this fashion. Trying to gently reinsert everything, you may want a second help to help hold the weight. Second person will need to be under the truck to hold it up for you as you re-align everything and stick the bolts in.The rebuild itself was easy, its the removal and install that can be more of the trouble.

• Like 1

For those who are interested, I just did this, and ordered the kit with the DVD also...if anyone's interested in viewing the video, I could probably work something out. And I can walk you through it for anyone who hasn't done it before pretty easily, just give me a call.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and BTW Mike, I've pretty much realized that all the kits are the same price, no matter which company you go with, just so you know.

For those that got it from Cummins did you mail order it or have to go to a local dealer to get it? I'm 180 miles from a Cummins dealer... :rolleyes: That's why I'd been looking towards possible a site vendor...

Cummins NW on Swan Island (PDX) had it right there. Not too far from me so I just stopped when I was near but in your case i would call ahead. :lol: I used to live in the OR coast range and was at least an hour to anywhere so I understand your situation. :cry: :banghead: :cool::thumb1:

Thats all you are worried about? Like I said on the other day, mine is starting to look like the EXXON Valdez. I think my next job is near home so I can park the ole girl for a while and work on the to do list and fix those pesky leaks.