• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tools to keep in your truck ??

Okay since I'm a newb i'd like to know what you guys keep on hand for an emergency repair. Here's what I have underneath the back seat. End wrenches up to 1 1/4" socket set up to the same size. Misc screwdrivers and pliers and an extra fuel filter.Is there anything else that would be a must have besides extra ammo?? LOLLB

• Owner

I must be crazy then... 2 MRE's1 Blanket1 Bottle of water1 Cell phone1 Basic set of sockets and wrenches1 spare fuel filter2 Screwdrivers (philips and flat)1 Pair of pilers1 Leatherman tool Most of the time the socket set is left at home... But 160K miles and still going without failure! Thank you Cummins! :thanks:

I must be really crazy. I have towing balls, a couple hoses, few clamps in the tool box. Inside the truck I have a pocket knife, a few screw drivers, a crescent wrench, and a pair of pliers. There are just too many break in's around here to risk it. Besides since most of my commute is urban I can have a tow truck pick me up in less than an hour, and my insurance will cover loading and up to 10 miles.

You guys act like something is going to break on these things! :eek: All I carry is vice grips, crescent wrench, flathead screwdriver, tire pressure gauge, tow strap, jumper cables, some power service.. Rest is topped off with fishing stuff :lmao2:

• Owner

I agree with those items. But, I was thinking of tool in the mechanical sense. I'll give that to you thought. A tool to keep you alive! Works for me! :smile:

Sense to place in your mind... Your 60 miles from any town, no cell service, it -20*F outside, snowing, and getting dark what do you do? That list will get you through it..

You guys act like something is going to break on these things! :eek: All I carry is vice grips, crescent wrench, flathead screwdriver, tire pressure gauge, tow strap, jumper cables, some power service.. Rest is topped off with fishing stuff :lmao2:

Like I said most times the sockets get left at home... There not for my truck there for all the broke Ford's and Chevy's I find on the highway...:lmao2:(got poke a bit a fun in)

I carry most of whats posted above, but when I am on the road the only thing I really need is my cell phone and AAA card. The few breakdowns I have had no tools would of fixed on the road side anyways. I just have AAA tow my ride back to my shop and fix it there. AAA plus is a super bargain at $106 a year for my wife and myself. My wife uses it on a regular basis due to locking keys inside vehicles all the time.

Edited by Wild and Free

I have all of my tools. An extra lift pump. Voltameter. All the fluids. Extra filters. Belts and some gaskets. My favorite thing is the complete service manual. I drive long haul so I take everything I can think of. If I leave something at home that will be the tool I needed.

• Owner

$5.00 for a hamburger, 2qts of water and a payday candy bar (no chocolate... no melt) These tools keep me from being in a bad mood when I get home cause I'm too hungry.

Hmmm... In the bed of my truck is 7 gallons of drinking water and 2 MRE's under the back seat... After being with fire dept this long I know a full MRE is a hell of a meal... Even comes with its own heater to heat the meal... coffee, candy, snack, matches, main meal, even a mini bottle of tobasco... :ahh:

• 11 months later...

Y'all need to rethink what you've posted here in this thread. For me, in my truck, the No.1 tool I carry, is myself and a weapon (you know what I mean) of some sort. Enough said!!!:2cents::2cents:

I couldn't agree more. I usually carry a longer one when traveling long distances.

Spare fuel filter and filter wrench.I have an old canvas tool roll with a set of box wrenches, screwdrivers, needlenose visegrip, 6" and 10" adjustable wrenches, and folding allen wrenches. In another, smaller roll a set of metric combination wrenches and metric allen wrenches.For years I've had a can of "fix-a-flat" or whatever it is called - aerosol with goo and some kind of compressed gas. Not sure I'd ever use it, said to be ugly when the tire is off the rim to fix.And a roll of duct tape. No baling wire...

Most of what I carry is in case the 5th wheel breaks down. Flash light that's brighter than the sunBottle jack4 waycouple pieces of 4x6jumper cablesratchet strapslogging chainVOMwrenches/sockets/screwdriversgreat big multipurpose crescent hammerspare hitch pinsoil/coolant/atf/bug fluidfuses1 case of beer2 packs of smokes (even though I don't smoke anymore:cool:)