• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil Consumption...

Alright, someone please tell me this is about normal? I switched to Amsoil on my last oil change. I'm now about 4300 miles into it, and I checked the oil level recently before I went down to see my parents for christmas. Its a good thing I checked! The level was below the add mark and I had 2 quarts left of this liquid gold to add back into the safe area. I noticed the oil pressure gauge showed a little bit longer of a delay in building pressure on initial startup and pressure was a little lower than normal. Nothing that raised a red flag, but now I know why it was so.

I have noticed since the change that the blowby vapor looks as though it has increased and there is some more oil "condensating" on the differential from the breather. As well, using more than 2 quarts up in approximately 4300 miles.

Is this a sign of a failing engine?

I was running DELO 400LE before the switch and maybe added a quart or so during the life of an oil change(7500 miles).

..believe you me, I can't pull my 5th wheel with a couple mules!

3 gallons is what I ordered. 12 quarts of oil. I had half of a 1 gallon container left after the initial change. I ordered in gallon container size as its cheaper to buy that way... Point is, I had to add the 2 quarts of oil after that many miles. So I suppose in essence, when the crank capacity and oil filter is 11 quarts, I'm really only looking at adding 1 quart in total after the amount of said miles. Which would still put me at about 2 quarts accordingly over the life of an 7500 mile oil change. I dunno if 2 quarts over that many miles is good or not.

I'm just comparing it to how much I had to add over the life of a change with the DELO oil. Ha, and if I can per UOA, I will get every bit of mileage out of the oil they say I can!

I have heard of going through more oil after switching to a synthetic, but also with a synthetic it should build pressure a lot quicker than with a dino. Unless your slow pressure building is because of being low on oil. I know I go through about a quart or 2 sometimes every 5000 miles. I dont really have the means of doing anything about it but I am also not worried about it.

I say just tear her down and full rebuild time :sofa:

I use Amsoil in mine, but I just dump three gallons in and don't worry about the extra quart. I don't have to add any between oil changes, but one thing to remeber, Amsoil WILL clean your engine and any dirt that was blocking some oil leaks will be removed allowing oil to leak out. That is the biggest complaint that I hear as a dealer.

So to clarify this, you ordered 3 gallons (12 quarts) and had 2 left over....so you only put 10 quarts in the initial fill? If I'm understanding you correctly you were a quart low to begin with. I switched to synthetics with extended drains a while back and have not experienced any new oil leaks. I put 11 quarts in which puts it just shy of the fill mark, and thats where she stays until I pull the drain plug again.

I would imagine if you were leaking 2 quarts in 4k miles, it would be noticeable.

Have you done the puke bottle mod? I used to loose oil out the breather. Since doing the mod, I don't loose any between 10,000 mile oil changes.

I have the Mopar1973man PVC breather mod. :lol:

I say just tear her down and full rebuild time :sofa:

HA! :rolleyes:  :cookoo:  Yea, and refinance the truck to pull any equity out of it to rebuild it...

I use Amsoil in mine, but I just dump three gallons in and don't worry about the extra quart. I don't have to add any between oil changes, but one thing to remeber, Amsoil WILL clean your engine and any dirt that was blocking some oil leaks will be removed allowing oil to leak out. That is the biggest complaint that I hear as a dealer.

Well, I have always been taught that I put the correct amount in, no more, no less. So that is why I'am what I'am. :shrug:  Bad habits, good habits? Who can say...  Well, I recall a synthetic has high detergent in it, so naturally, its gonna be a cleanin! I was told growing up that if you got an engine that used conventional oil most of its life to not put synthetic in it. People seem to have run into problems as they synthetic cleans the engine and blowby increases and smokes after that. I'll heck to check for oil leaks soon. I think I may have some leak, but its hard to say as I do not get any pooling on the ground anywhere...

So to clarify this, you ordered 3 gallons (12 quarts) and had 2 left over....so you only put 10 quarts in the initial fill? If I'm understanding you correctly you were a quart low to begin with. I switched to synthetics with extended drains a while back and have not experienced any new oil leaks. I put 11 quarts in which puts it just shy of the fill mark, and thats where she stays until I pull the drain plug again.

I would imagine if you were leaking 2 quarts in 4k miles, it would be noticeable.

Not exactly, I added the 2 gallons, and then filled with the third until it registered proper on the dipstick. There is always that accumulated amount of oil somewhere in the engine... That included pre-filling the oil filter with oil as well. I suppose I'm gonna have to monitor the level and see what happens over the course of time and mileage.

My last UOA, the lab recommended me to get another sample after 3k on the next change. I just forgot to and did not realize I already racked up that many miles! I need to invest in the amsoil oil extractor first, but I need the :2cents: ! :spend:

Well, I recall a synthetic has high detergent in it, so naturally, its gonna be a cleanin! I was told growing up that if you got an engine that used conventional oil most of its life to not put synthetic in it. People seem to have run into problems as they synthetic cleans the engine and blowby increases and smokes after that.

That is an old wive's tale. I put synthetic in mine at 175k miles and now at 289k with absolutely no issues, leaks, or blowby. You can switch to synthetics anytime you want.

Edited by MnTom
  • Like 3

That is an old wive's tale. I put synthetic in mine at 175k miles and now at 289k with absolutely no issues, leaks, or blowby. You can switch to synthetics anytime you want.

Yep, this was probably true in the 80's and earlier engines when gasket materials were subpar to start with and the use of the crappy oils like the older Penzoils and quaker states ect that coked up behind piston rings would break up and flush out thus accelerating the issue that was already there being the rings were worn out already and then you wash out the coked oil from behind them and ta-da no more compression.

Anything built in the last 25 years should not have any issues at all.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

I put synthetic in one oil change and the old gal didn't like it. She leaked everywhere she could and

left a huge puddle under the front-end everyday. Three days later, back to dino premium blue and only the usual couple drips (seal between timing cover and block).

Yea, I'm not exactly sure whether or not I want to stick with the Amsoil. I'm gonna have to for another year as I have that long of my membership left. I suppose I will see what benefits it will give me over conventional when I do the UOA.

I've been using 15-40 ams oil with single bypass filter for two years now, takes exactly 12 qts to top of fill mark. I put about 4-5 k on it a year and it always stays at the top. Also noticed that it stays cleaner a lot longer, it may be because of 2 micron bypass. Did my oil test at CAT and the only thing was way high is soot, 60 or so. but it said keep using it and sample at regular intervals, whatever they are. I just did it for the hell of it. Changed it anyway it was 14 months old. But I wonder why you have to change oil every so many miles or every year which ever comes first, what if I don't put many miles on it in a year what goes bad? Oil in a bottles don't go bad on a shelf and if an oil test comes back good then why change it every year?

I've been using 15-40 ams oil with single bypass filter for two years now, takes exactly 12 qts to top of fill mark. I put about 4-5 k on it a year and it always stays at the top. Also noticed that it stays cleaner a lot longer, it may be because of 2 micron bypass. Did my oil test at CAT and the only thing was way high is soot, 60 or so. but it said keep using it and sample at regular intervals, whatever they are. I just did it for the hell of it. Changed it anyway it was 14 months old. But I wonder why you have to change oil every so many miles or every year which ever comes first, what if I don't put many miles on it in a year what goes bad? Oil in a bottles don't go bad on a shelf and if an oil test comes back good then why change it every year?

:shrug:  I've always wondered that too...

The oil itself does not break down. It does not matter if you are looking at dino or synthetic oil. The additives become depleted and the oil holds solids in suspension and will get to the point of not being able to hold any more.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Ok guys. Over the last few months I have noticed that I am going through more and more oil than I usually was. At the moment, I am going through about a quart every 500-800 miles. I just did another 1200 mile weekend and it used almost 2 quarts. :think:

I have checked for blowby with the engine hot and cold and there is hardly ever a puff. I am not leaving any oil on the ground when I park either. I do have the crankcase breather mod and never lose any oil out of it unless it happens when I am driving down the road, but then you would think it would leak on the ground.

My turbo has never been opened up and its up to about 230k miles. Could I be losing that much oil through the turbo?

It does haze a little bit of blue right after a cold start up but you really cant tell unless the sun is at the right angle.

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!!!

• Like 1

I do believe that oil breaks down and starts to become acidic and maybe there is moisture in the oil. I used to know but i forget

If you have the new oil TBN and have a TBN test done on your UOA you can extroplate the acidity of the oil.