• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Programmers - Tuners?

Ok I said I would never do this, but here we go…. Reading about some of these “Tuners – Programmers” that just plug into the OBDll, and you don’t have to “tap” anything, my brain is asking me the age old question – What could possibly go wrong? (Hold my beer) LOL….

In everyone’s humble opinion what is the best way to go. Seems like you can get ones from 300 that have three programs, to a Smarty that has six, any opinions? (Silly question)

I do get confused when reading about the programs, especially concerning timing. How do you figure out what is best for driving around town (yes I do like spirited driving) and for towing? I am very conservaitive when I tow and try to keep the exhaust temp down, but would like a bit more power.

I would assume you would have to switch back and forth with something like the Smarty before taking off on a trip??

Sorry guys, this is one subject that I just haven’t gotten my head into yet… Never say never... 

For what you want to do I think a Smarty would be your best bet. Gives you a bit more power with some custom tuning and it also will serve as a code reader/eraser. The one thing a lot of people like about a smarty is it is untraceable once removed. It wont leave an electronic foot print so to speak. Smartys are very popular so there wont be a problem with getting support for it.

See that's is another topic I have been looking into. A lot of people are selling the Smarty S03 and I am assuming that is the same on high setting as an Edge EZ but with OBDII port instead of map fooling or whatever. I do not care to hot rod with the truck nor do I want to blow lots of black smoke. I feel like the 60hp chip/programmer is the best route for me but everyone always tells me to get an Edge Comp when I don't think I will ever care to need the additional 60hp/180tq. I don't tow heavy at all, maybe 7k lbs at very most?

I think the comp gives the most power out of all electronic programmers for the VP Cummins trucks. It does the boost fooling and allows for a pump tap to "unleash the beast". I really like it because I can get tons of extra power and not have to worry about a monitor failing or sensors failing. If you want tons of useable power and not all the extra crap that comes with it, the comp is a great choice. If you are just looking to get a little boost in power and dont want a programmer that is tapped or has to be plugged in all the time, then the smarty is a great choice.

Smartys are friggin' expensive. ($650 new)

You can get the same power out of a $180 Diablo powerpuck. (plugs into the MAP sensor and injection pump, but doesn't tap the pump)

Edge Comp with a pump tap boasts +120 HP. I think it's the same with the Edge Juice, but you can get the Hot Unlock for the Edge Juice, and get some more fueling up top, with some HP gain. Same thing if you get an Edge Drag Comp.

The most powerful I think is the Quadzilla Adrenaline, and they show +180 HP with a pump tap, and it has custom tuning. (Quadzilla is out of business now)

TST Comp is pretty close to the Adrenaline, power wise.

Utah - with a timing box (Edge EZ, Diablo PowerPuck, Smarty) you won't have any issues with EGT's. They might actually be lower than stock, with added timing.

• Owner

There is a wide selection of modules and programmers. Me personally I'm more of a Edge Comp guys because the adjust on the fly and little to zero problems with them. Smarty is another good selection of programmer rock solid but I tend to be fussy about being able to change my tune on the fly. Diablo Power Puck was another favorite out there. TST and Smarty Combo is the best yet. All the fuel a TST can give then a boost of more fuel from Smarty and then all the timing Smarty can give... ScanGauge II is a good tool for diagnostic purpose being it can see live data and trip data on the fly.

• Staff

Peak power is just part of the programmer, where you spend 99% of your time is below that. That is where Smarty comes in, they have more adjustability and driveability.

Here is an example, with UDC on 3rd gens guys aren't getting a huge peak power gain but the low/mid is much better. Heck my peak power went down a few hp but my truck is much better at what I use it for.

Smartys are expensive but you get what you pay for....very rare for one to malfunction they are an extremeley reliable tuner. Yes you can do a Scan Guage ($180) but add that to a lower end tuner and your right back up in price range of a Smarty. Plus the ability to adjust abs for different tire sizes. Heck I've even made money on several occasions either using mine for diagnostics or enabling high idle feature. Smarty also fuels hardest in the lower rpm range of all the tuners which is where I need it the most for daily driving and towing. Edge makes more power if you tap the pump but its in the upper rpm range. Not very useful to me. I think the argument of adjusting on the fly is a little over rated, once I tweaked the parameters of my tune I very rarely ever touch it. It's probably been close to a year since. Power is very manageable whether driving empty, towing, hotrodding, or driving in a blizzard. Its just not an issue for me.

I just want something that will hold up with the stock clutch too. I understand that there are lots of 60hp chips or boxes or programmers but which one is the best and the pros and cons of each. Like I said I want a slight bump in power, not looking to tap the pump at all.

Like I said I want a slight bump in power, not looking to tap the pump at all.

...famous, last, words! :lol:

I personally have seen very little people speak much of the edge EZ. When I do, its always talk of going to the comp!

Atleast if you get a comp, or something of the likes, you can keep it low. But when your craving for power becomes an addiction, you have the power there, when you start upgrading the parts on the truck! :burnout:

...famous, last, words! :lol:

I personally have seen very little people speak much of the edge EZ. When I do, its always talk of going to the comp!

Atleast if you get a comp, or something of the likes, you can keep it low. But when your craving for power becomes an addiction, you have the power there, when you start upgrading the parts on the truck! :burnout:

Yeah I hear ya. I already have one race truck though I don't need two lol.

• Staff

Many threads are people wishing they had gone bigger, so many folks don't believe anyone when they say they don't want to go bigger.

I think I fall into the exception, I have gone up about 60 rwhp since I started but I don't use it often and generally just because the improvements I have made let me set it there. Nearly all of my mods are designed around durability and efficiency.

Many threads are people wishing they had gone bigger, so many folks don't believe anyone when they say they don't want to go bigger.

I think I fall into the exception, I have gone up about 60 rwhp since I started but I don't use it often and generally just because the improvements I have made let me set it there. Nearly all of my mods are designed around durability and efficiency.

Really what I am aiming for.

• Staff

User Defined Catcher, custom tuning.

On a 3rd Gen it allows the user, and/or tuner, to write a custom program for the truck based on use, mods, truck, etc.

I run UDC and while my peak power dropped about 15rwhp my mid range is stronger, the truck is more fuel efficient, smoother, and a better driving truck.

I run it on my truck, my dad's truck, and a friends truck. I have also written tunes for many other folks, custom tuning is the way to go.

As of today it's in the works for VP trucks and will be the only custom option once released (no date yet).