• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird Engine Grunt Maybe Timing?

A blown injector tip could allow compression to enter the return line and pressurize the tank. I think you need to pull injectors soon if you have not already beat the top of your piston to a pulp and scored a cylinder already.

I never saw a reply, does it clear up when it warms up or does it smoke all the time and does it sound like it has a miss or not.

You need to crack each injector line while it is idling to see which cylinder is week or dead.

If it is smoking white all the time even warmed up I would park it ASAP.

If that was not an electronic pump...meaning any of the old mechanical engines.

I would say you have a broken /damaged injector and actual combustion pressure is going back to the tank.

I am not sure its possible with this style pump.

Its not good either way.

With your white exhaust and now this situation, I would be thinking about pulling the injectors.

Nothing but your time and a few O-rings at best. At worst you need injectors.

Regards Chris  

The exhaust clears up if I drive it a little ways and it warms up. There is a "cough" sometimes when it starts, but never missing while it runs. Either way it does clear up, which makes me lean against a broken injector, but I should probably pull them and have them tested anyways ( 174, 055 miles ). I have spring break next week and I will be home to pull some things apart... As for now this is my dd so it can't sit. Keep the ideas coming guys I really appreciate your time!

My vote from descriptions is an injector issue, just dumb luck it coincided with the EZ install, nothing I know of an EZ can do to cause this issue.

kinda  wonder if  he  had   an  injector  that  was  *almost*  cooked off,  and  adding the  EZ   (and  playing around)  finished it off??

Leaving the cap loose seems to have fixed the issue, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. As to how the pressure built up I think it was the drastic change in temperature. We went from below freezing to the 60's. When I have the cap off and the engine running there isn't any "blow by" coming out of the hole so I believe my injectors are OK.  :pray: Thank you guys for your input! 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just pulled the cap off my fuel tank for the hell of it and there was enough pressure to blow it out of my hand... Like a ridiculous amount of pressure. Could that be causing anything??

Did it "blow" out of your hand……….or did it get "sucked" out of your hand???  Serious question.

Did it "blow" out of your hand……….or did it get "sucked" out of your hand???  Serious question.

Blew it out of my hand as in pressure inside the tank not a vacuum  :thumb1:

so did the white smoke go away with the cap off?

I will report back in a couple hours after I go start it......

With the cap left loose it starts with zero problems! No white smoke even at 30deg. After starting I tightened down the fuel cap and drove to school. I had pressure built up in the tank by the time I got to school (6miles). The outside temp was increasing pretty quickly, but I didn't think quick enough to cause pressure that fast?? Any thoughts as to why I get pressure in the tank built up so quickly?

I think the fuel cap should do some of the venting. There is also supposed to be a vent on the top of the tank somewhere. They are common to plug up with dirt and what not. I think a lot of people actually make their own vents because of the plugging up issues with the stock one. I am not sure about that stuff though as I have not yet had a vent issue with my tank.

• Owner

I think the fuel cap should do some of the venting. There is also supposed to be a vent on the top of the tank somewhere. They are common to plug up with dirt and what not. I think a lot of people actually make their own vents because of the plugging up issues with the stock one. I am not sure about that stuff though as I have not yet had a vent issue with my tank.

Tanks vents are designed to vent the vacuum off but not pressure. This is a safety issue for emergency responders like fire dept to have a fuel tank gain pressure from heat or fire and have it start venting liquid fuel like at a vehicle accident. All fuel tanks should hold pressure to a point just a safety design.

• Like 1

The vent on the fuel cap is like a check valve. It only relieves vacuum, not vice versa. If your building pressure, it will not be relieved. This is a safety feature built into the fuel cap. If the vehicle rolls-over, the valve is shut preventing fuel from leaking out of the tank.

Look for the vent port on the tank:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu142/illflem/TankTop.jpg

Make sure this vent is not plugged with debris.