• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ram 1500 diesel

I think it's going to be a great truck. Ram has been highly criticized for not sticking the 5.0 Cummins in that was originally slated before Chrysler went belly up and Fiat bought them out, but the more I read on the Cummins the more I think they made the right choice. The 2.8 VM engine they are using is a proven engine in Europe, weighs substantially less than the Cummins and will likely get quite a bit better fuel mileage. I think a v8 diesel is just too much engine for a half ton, and no matter how you detune it it's going to be hard to beat the economics of a small v6.

Even if they do detune the new engines, you know darn well there will be performance tuners that come out in the near future. I agree that those cummins V8's are going to be to much power for the toyotas and nissans. Are those trucks really built well enough to handle that torque? I know that the tundra is not even a solid frame truck.

The mileage will be awesome to have but I feel like this is going to turn into another situation like the for ecoboost trucks. Half tons pulling 35' camp trailers all over the place.

It is actually a bunch of sub frames that hook together. That is why toyota now requires the truckers to use tire straps to secure them to the trucks instead of chains. The chains that used to just go to the frame doesnt have anything to go to now and what is there would end up being ripped out just bouncing down the road on the car haulers.

Ah, I knew the frame was a different setup.  The front is boxed, the center (cab) is rolled C channel and the back is just standard C channel, but I had not seen anything about that mess.  Thanks for the info.

The Cummins engine is going in the next generation Tundra. I'm sure the engineers will be ready for it, Toyota has been one of the toughest trucks on the market since the early 80's.

Now if they could just do something about those looks, I swear the bodies get uglier every generation.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hypermilers piss me off. It's fine when they are doing a test like they did, but when they are just clowns holding up traffic it's a different story. Purposely irritating people, and knowing your purposely irritating people is not cool. Self centered selfish people.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with that VM engine that although prevalent in Europe, it is not the case here.  The jeeps use VM engines and you cant get a single part for them at any store.  My brother had the jeep liberty diesel and it became quickly apparent that nobody stocked a single thing for it, so he sold it.  I am thinking this will be a similar story with the ram VM as well.  

• 5 months later...

Any new input on these trucks? I'm seriously thinking about getting one to replace my weary VW Passat.

I think I would wait and see what Toyota and Nissan come out with.  Right now they are doing development and research on bringing a 5 liter Cummins V8 diesel to market. 

http://www.briggsnissanlawrence.com/blog/nissan-cummins-5-0l-v8-turbo-diesel-specs/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/next-generation-2016-toyota-tundra-to-share-5-0l-cummins-turbodiesel-with-nissan/

I would FAR rather buy one of those than a Dodge pickup with a VM diesel.  In particular, I would go for the Toyota as Nissan builds poor quality JUNK in my opinion.  The ONLY reason I bought my Dodge pickup is that it was wrapped around a Cummins engine, New Venture Transmission, and Dana axles. 

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 1

The VM Motori platform as well as a variation of the ZF8 speed has been proven reliable in many European vehicles. It's far from a new engine/trans combo. The ZF has been in vehicles like Range Rover, Masserati and Rolls Royce. I'd actually feel more comfortable buying it over a brand new production engine, not to mention I don't think the Cummins will touch the 3.0 VM in fuel mileage.

Totally agree that vm>nissan/cummins. Like I stated before, the cummins is too much power for a half ton and the owners will destroy the pickups pulling what a 3/4 should. Also I heard low 20s for mileage. I will take the dodge any day.

This is how I feel too. This truck will be our car. I have the 2500 for working.