• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Military testing of 2 cycle oil in diesel fuel

• Staff

I really don't understand what could be the problem with your truck. I religiously run 1/2oz per 1 gallon of diesel and have not had one problem. I sometimes skip a dose of 2 stroke if I'm on the road, but even then, no problems. When I first started using 2 stroke, I used 1oz per 1 gallon of diesel. I thinned the ratio out until I could hear a difference in the engine sound. That came out, for me, at the 1/2oz per 1 gallon diesel ratio that I recommend as a starting point for 3rd gen trucks. Mr. AH64ID, in mid-summer, at 90+ degrees, running empty, with the air on and in recirculate mode, running 65mph, my truck reads about 4-5psi boost and about 600 degrees EGT's if I'm not fighting the wind. My truck actually runs thru the air better with the air on and in recirculate mode than with the air off and fresh air running into the cab via the fan. In fact, when I drove down to my P's for Christmas, running 65mph, my EGT's were just above 500 degrees in low 20's weather bringing fresh air into the cab!!!! And here's the biggest surprise for you AH64ID........two years ago coming back from TX my buds Duramax broke down. I had to haul the big assed trailer (8'x26' with 3 big ATV's and gear in it) we took down there home from Bloomington, IL. It was 200+ miles of 5 guys in the cab, 3 dogs in the back, driving straight into a 30+mph North wind on I-39 in -10 degree weather. Just to maintain 60mph, my truck was pushing 20psi boost over level ground and would go to 30+psi on any incline. All that said, with the big load in the truck as well as the wall I was towing, I never saw EGT's over 1100 degrees. Over level ground, at 60mph, the EGT's were usually 800 or below. I don't know why my truck runs so cool and at the same time not experiencing the "GUMMING" issues you always bring up. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying too!!!!!:cool::2cents::2cents:

I too find it interesting... But I don't see a exhaust brake in your sig, and that was the only place I saw issues.. and only becuase I have a back pressure gauge.. otherwise I wouldn't have had issues, nor known about the one I had... As far as EGT's.. .I run about the same... I was referring to accelerating.. cruise I cool off, but the lower airflow on the 3rd gens allows them to warm up pretty easy at low load/low boost. For me to get EGT's above 1100 when towing I have to be in 4th or 5th and really pulling hard at rpms above 2500. I don't know that I have ever done it in 6th... So we see about the same.

I too find it interesting... But I don't see a exhaust brake in your sig, and that was the only place I saw issues.. and only becuase I have a back pressure gauge.. otherwise I wouldn't have had issues, nor known about the one I had... As far as EGT's.. .I run about the same... I was referring to accelerating.. cruise I cool off, but the lower airflow on the 3rd gens allows them to warm up pretty easy at low load/low boost. For me to get EGT's above 1100 when towing I have to be in 4th or 5th and really pulling hard at rpms above 2500. I don't know that I have ever done it in 6th... So we see about the same.

Yup, I don't have an E-brake. Sometimes I wish I did when it's really cold here. Even with my homemade winter front, it takes a fair bit of time before I reach normal operating temps. I'm also the same, EGT's go up accelerating.......especially if I'm in to high a gear and need to downshift!!!!! Level ground, even in crazy hot weather, these Cummins cool down nicely. I'll say this again also.........when you've torn apart as many chainsaws and outboards as I have, you'd be amazed at how clean the innerds of properly running 2 stroke engines are. The ones that are not running properly, for whatever reason are all carboned up..........but you see the same in poorly running 4 stroke also!!!:smart:

• Owner

Then you haven't torn apart one with a power valve. My power valves always gets pretty nasty on my 2-stroke bikes. I always run 40:1 Amsoil. The rest of the motor is always clean as a whistle though.

doesn't AMSOil suggest half as much 2 cycle per dose? So if the engine normal takes 40:1 with petroluem arn't you suppose to reduce to 80:1 ratio with AMSOil??? :shrug:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...