• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

time for a new tranny

333K on truck, tyranny rebuilt by dodge at 70K; its starting to show its age. 1qt of fluid every 200 miles, shudders on the 2-3 up shift. I tow a 25' travel trailer and a 5 ton equipment trailer with mini excavator and a single car trailer with my RX2. Budget is the limiting factor, figure 3K max

Had a friend build my trans. I think he felt he owed me a bunch of payback. He has a one man state of the art converter shop and his converter is called Mojave Green. All billet, Gorend stator, stall speed is 1100, triple disk. His trans shop did the  R&R and  rebuilt my 165k 47re with all the trick stuff with a Transgo VB kit  and all new electrical. Also did the VB mod to get 2nd gear lock up. I did the switch. All this for  $2300.00  When I managed a fleet, he did all my trans work. I recently asked why he didn't advertise and he said he already had to much work.

Hex0rz

Why switch to a manual?

Manuals cost lest to make reliable. Most of the time all that is requires is buying a good clutch for it and your golden. Manuals don't suffer many problems compared to the auto. As well, they usually get better fuel mileage and you have better control of the powerband. A good rebuilt auto worth even speaking about can run you atleast 4k. I had mine rebuilt by a shop and it cost me around 4500. Its got the stuff in my sig, and no more. No billet parts, etc.

Unless you rebuild it yourself, be prepared to shell out the green.

Edited by hex0rz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I have a really good understanding of the auto vs manual being I own both. The 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 is a 46RE and the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 is a NV4500 5 speed. Don't get me wrong the automatic does tow rather well but the control of power and hold back power is really poor. Now the 5 speed does much better because it being a manual. But still I would rather put all the working load on the manual and light duty towing on the auto. Like hitching up this evening the BigTex utility trailer throw all the trash cans, garbage, and lawn debris and make a haul with the auto. No biggy. But hitching up the Jayco to the automatic it really struggles pulling that monster of a trailer.

• Like 1

Just remember, a good built auto makes a world of difference. You can also install a lock up switch and have the same speed control as most manual trucks.

To the both of you that need transmissions, I strongly suggest that you get the best transmission you can afford.

• Like 3

• Staff

Just remember, a good built auto makes a world of difference. You can also install a lock up switch and have the same speed control as most manual trucks.

To the both of you that need transmissions, I strongly suggest that you get the best transmission you can afford.

I have to ask; If I spared no expense for the very best, got a loan if need be, what would be the worlds best for my second gen?

The "Worlds Best" depends on what you want to do with the truck. Daily driver, mostly tow, drag race, pull? I would normally recommend a Goerends transmission, but since they no longer build them you would need to call them to find out where they have an authorized shop near you. Far as DTT, I have read some horror stories about their business practices since Bill no longer runs things. You also may have someone close to you that knows how to build a decent transmission. Talk to your friends and aquaintances about where they recommend. And by all means talk to the shop. If they say they grind anything (like the steels) RUN as fast as you can.........

• Like 1

I would say a Revmax trans, as you can call & talk directly to Frank, he makes high grade mild to wild, truly understands the torque convertors & transmissions & recently had an issue with some of the parts supplied to him & admitted it publicly/informed the customerd that got them to return them. He will build it to your present & future needs.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...