• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DIY: Lockup Switch install into Gear Selector Arm

• 8 months later...

Oh wow!,  :drool:  i'm on the brink of getting some work done on my 48re.......this is good! i i i'm not sure which way to jump, how high ,how far... I LOVE extras! I'm not sure how many 'fit' my ''IT HAS TO BE PRACTICAL'' bucket...  :doh:

more buttons? sure! [i think]

ok, i'll calm down,  what do you have to show us?!  i'm all eyes!   :popcorn: THANKS!

Nothing to show yet, I just have a friend with a rapid prototype machine so I can print out new ends to the shift selector that will allow more surface area for more buttons.  

I HATE having toggle switches on the dash so this will put everything on the shifter so one hand can control EB and lockup for us auto guys.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

question, what is the reason for defeating the trans relay?

i have yet to find the answer

The common answer typically it to force the auto to behave like a manual. When you set lock up in 2nd gear it will continue to shift normally up. But remain locked on the torque converter. This provides better hold back power of the transmission for travelling grades. The other thing is once locked the transmission can't down shift. This can be a bonus too for slick conditions by getting the truck to shift to a high gear and allowing the RPM's to fall low now. Torque is reduced. This is a common trick for manual transmissions but automatic in stock form will tend to down shift and up shift causing possible wheel spin on ice.

The common answer typically it to force the auto to behave like a manual. When you set lock up in 2nd gear it will continue to shift normally up. But remain locked on the torque converter. This provides better hold back power of the transmission for travelling grades. The other thing is once locked the transmission can't down shift. This can be a bonus too for slick conditions by getting the truck to shift to a high gear and allowing the RPM's to fall low now. Torque is reduced. This is a common trick for manual transmissions but automatic in stock form will tend to down shift and up shift causing possible wheel spin on ice.

do you happen to know the conditions when the relay is latched? what i am getting out, if the "Computer" unlatches this relay when conditions are out side of a safe range (speed vs rpm, etc)  after all, there is a reason there are two methods of controlling the TC.

do you happen to know the conditions when the relay is latched? what i am getting out, if the "Computer" unlatches this relay when conditions are out side of a safe range (speed vs rpm, etc)  after all, there is a reason there are two methods of controlling the TC.

I think you are over thinking the whole thing.  It is done so you can control lockup when and where you want.  Your VB needs to be modified to lock all gears which mine is.  I will have to specifically try it but I think mine will downshift when it is locked at least under power.  Since I normally manually shift mine most of the time I don't remember for sure but I will check in the next several days and get back.  I did not have the lockup switch on a stock VB so I am not sure how that is but not all trannys are programmed the same.  The '01 and '02's are programmed to lock third gear and unlock/relock the third to OD shift.  2000's might be the same I don't recall for sure but at least '99 and earlier did not.  Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

• Like 1

Good post.

It is hard on all components from flex plate back to shift while locked.  I've only known guys to use it to keep from unlocking up a grade or to lock up early while staying in a gear.  

I think you are over thinking the whole thing.  It is done so you can control lockup when and where you want.  Your VB needs to be modified to lock all gears which mine is.  I will have to specifically try it but I think mine will downshift when it is locked at least under power.  Since I normally manually shift mine most of the time I don't remember for sure but I will check in the next several days and get back.  I did not have the lockup switch on a stock VB so I am not sure how that is but not all trannys are programmed the same.  The '01 and '02's are programmed to lock third gear and unlock/relock the third to OD shift.  2000's might be the same I don't recall for sure but at least '99 and earlier did not.  Hope this helps clear it up a bit.

I could be, but i am trying to understand the real need to defeat the relay and you may have answered one question, but the reason i am asking about the parameters that this relay latches and unlatches may do away with the need to worry about forgetting the switch, but that is that big of a deal.  i manually what this feature for the exhaust brake, and it would be nice to have the TC stay locked with on the grades and need to let off for any reason.

I am still on the fence tho,

keep the info coming :)

Edited by cbrew

Good post.

It is hard on all components from flex plate back to shift while locked.  I've only known guys to use it to keep from unlocking up a grade or to lock up early while staying in a gear.  

I shifted mine for years locked and still do and have yet to break anything.  I did have a Dunrite VB and it may be different with a stocker.  Tony did tell me he wouldn't do it but I saw he advertised it as having the ability to shift locked and I knew him well enough to take him at his word.  =)  I wouldn't say there isn't added wear to some of those parts though.

I could be, but i am trying to understand the real need to defeat the relay and you may have answered one question, but the reason i am asking about the parameters that this relay latches and unlatches may do away with the need to worry about forgetting the switch, but that is that big of a deal.  i manually what this feature for the exhaust brake, and it would be nice to have the TC stay locked with on the grades and need to let off for any reason.

I am still on the fence tho,

keep the info coming :)

Well, shoot I just now saw you live in the Couve.  We might be able to touch bases and I can show you how mine works if you like.  First hand experience would almost certainly be better than just talking about it.

• Like 1

I shifted mine for years locked and still do and have yet to break anything.  I did have a Dunrite VB and it may be different with a stocker.  Tony did tell me he wouldn't do it but I saw he advertised it as having the ability to shift locked and I knew him well enough to take him at his word.  =)  I wouldn't say there isn't added wear to some of those parts though.

Well, shoot I just now saw you live in the Couve.  We might be able to touch bases and I can show you how mine works if you like.  First hand experience would almost certainly be better than just talking about it.

that would be great! question tho, other then the Dunrite VB, does your trans have any other upgrades. what i understand, the main reason shifting while lock is not suggested is the stock input shaft does not like the added stress. but that does not mean it can not handle normal light load with out issue,.  my ole girl has ~150k on the clock, even tho then i installed the mag-hytec pan, all i found was normal wear of soft materiel. the fluid was nice and had a normal smell, so i installed the pan, added fresh syn fluid and all it well.  i have no clue about the back ground of the trans. but being as clean as it was i can not believe its the factory trans. now with a truck having a 5th wheel hitch from a PO.

the auto is still a black box for me, so i am very cautious what mods i throw at it, shes my DD and the last think i want to do is break her.

i live in the five corners area, PM me how close you are to that area.

Thanks again

TTYL

that would be great! question tho, other then the Dunrite VB, does your trans have any other upgrades. what i understand, the main reason shifting while lock is not suggested is the stock input shaft does not like the added stress. but that does not mean it can not handle normal light load with out issue,.  my ole girl has ~150k on the clock, even tho then i installed the mag-hytec pan, all i found was normal wear of soft materiel. the fluid was nice and had a normal smell, so i installed the pan, added fresh syn fluid and all it well.  i have no clue about the back ground of the trans. but being as clean as it was i can not believe its the factory trans. now with a truck having a 5th wheel hitch from a PO.

the auto is still a black box for me, so i am very cautious what mods i throw at it, shes my DD and the last think i want to do is break her.

i live in the five corners area, PM me how close you are to that area.

Thanks again

TTYL

I have over 215,000 on it now and just recently had Jon Elford (Dynamic custom trans) build one for me.  It has the goodies for anything I will ever do with it but nothing other than the Dunrite VB until now.  Tony and I did pull it twice because of a broken front drum and changed a couple seals at that time.  I was working for him and he made a change to the VB and we used my rig for the test dummy.  He had to do another workaround for the change so the VB was not cracking the drum.  Tony and I were going to build it when needed but unfortunately he contracted cancer and has been gone about 4 years now.  A real tranny expert and friend.

I live East of 162nd right off SR500.  I know 5 corners as I attend Crossroads church on 78th street.  Should be pretty easy to hook up.  I'll PM my phone #.

• 1 month later...