• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump suggestions

angus

I know there are plenty of threads on this subject, but I am just wondering what everyones opinion is on the latest, and greatest. My 03 has the APPS mounted under the intake horn, and the stock pump is attached to the filter canister.

I want to retain the stock filter canister because of the fuel heater, and the WIF sensor. I have been leaning towards a FASS titanium with the all in one 2-3 micron filter plus the water seperator prefilter.

If there is a better stand alone pump and filter setup that can be mounted under the cab I would like to consider it.

Edited by angus

I have been running the Fuel Boss must be 5 years or more now. I still have the factory lift pump on the block hooked up. When you first  start the truck the electric lift pump runs for a second or whatever it takes for a Hobbs switch (provided), to realize the pressure is there from the Fuel Boss, then it shuts power off to the electric pump. I have had a case where I busted the belt on the Fuel Boss and it automatically switched back to the electric pump. I personally love this pump and with no hesitation will buy it again if I ever buy another truck as it was the best money I ever spent

BTW..the Fuel Boss doesn't really even need the electric lift pump, but it's nice to have it hooked up in case the belt or something breaks until you can replace it. My Hobb's switch went bad a couple months ago, I stil haven't replaced it so I'm just running the Boss solo. Richard at Glacier Diesel can tell you anything you want to know about the pumps

Edited by dobienut
  • Like 1

1_BD_FlowMaX_Lift_Pump_with_filters_800_

After looking at the endless options yesterday. I settled on this BD power unit. Its 150 GPH and preset for 18psi.

I liked the modular FW seperator, and the secondary filter blocks that assemble together for a really compact installation.

I think it will fit high on the frame rail with minimal plumbing issues.  Its a brushless motor design with a gerator pump, and supposed to come with a 5 year warranty.

I guess I will be the test mule to see how this setup works out.

Edited by angus

Keep use post on the the results. I'm really interested in your results I'm sure there is a lot of people looking for fuel pump solutions for there truck but no one out there can trust AirDog any longer nor can afford FASS.

Its still a little pricey. The pump alone was $566.00, but the 5 year  warranty made me feel like these people must be pretty confident in their product.

I`ll try to post some pics and have some feedback when I get done.

I just had my fass titanium go out after only 8mos. Istill had the Dodge retro fit pump in the tank so hooked it back up.I talked to as and they are going to warranty it,after they check it out.The pump had erratic pressure readings. pressure on my gauge would some times jump around in the last month.I figured my gage was acting up.It finally quit fri. and left me on the side of the road ,after jumping the relay and having power to the pump,I called a tow truck,Spent yesterday hooking up the in-tank pump and am back on the road.

Has any one out there had similar problems with fass pumps?

hodag56

I just had my fass titanium go out after only 8mos. Istill had the Dodge retro fit pump in the tank so hooked it back up.I talked to as and they are going to warranty it,after they check it out.The pump had erratic pressure readings. pressure on my gauge would some times jump around in the last month.I figured my gage was acting up.It finally quit fri. and left me on the side of the road ,after jumping the relay and having power to the pump,I called a tow truck,Spent yesterday hooking up the in-tank pump and am back on the road.

Has any one out there had similar problems with fass pumps?

hodag56

Only had one FASS pump, and it was a DDRP on my Son`s "99" 24v.. He ran it for about a year with no problems before he sold the truck. So I really can`t speak for the longivity.

It would be interesting if they will tell you what the failure was? I seem to remember them sending a prefilter and insisting it be used  with the DDRP,  but that should not be any issue with a Titanium pump.

8 months and then a tow job ain`t right!

I have been running the Fuel Boss must be 5 years or more now. I still have the factory lift pump on the block hooked up. When you first  start the truck the electric lift pump runs for a second or whatever it takes for a Hobbs switch (provided), to realize the pressure is there from the Fuel Boss, then it shuts power off to the electric pump. I have had a case where I busted the belt on the Fuel Boss and it automatically switched back to the electric pump. I personally love this pump and with no hesitation will buy it again if I ever buy another truck as it was the best money I ever spent

BTW..the Fuel Boss doesn't really even need the electric lift pump, but it's nice to have it hooked up in case the belt or something breaks until you can replace it. My Hobb's switch went bad a couple months ago, I stil haven't replaced it so I'm just running the Boss solo. Richard at Glacier Diesel can tell you anything you want to know about the pumps

I personally think, just out of experience with the AD, that a mechanical lift pump like the BOSS or ASSASSIN, is the way to go for lift pumps. Always was turned on to the idea of increasing pressure as RPM does!

Its still a little pricey. The pump alone was $566.00, but the 5 year  warranty made me feel like these people must be pretty confident in their product.

I`ll try to post some pics and have some feedback when I get done.

AirDog's warranty on theirs is lifetime...

Personally, if you have not installed the unit already, I would send it back and get a mechanical lift pump. I will always point people in that direction instead of an electrically driven.

...and yes, I'm an owner of an AD lift pump. My first pump laster 6-9 months. The inner seal wore out, diesel got into the motor area and burned it up. AD sent me out a new motor, no questions asked. I was down for a week or so waiting on the pump, though. Since the replacement motor, I've been running fine for 1 1/2 years now. But who knows how long this one will last. If it goes, it will be a hard decision to see whether I just replace it for a mechanical or not...

• Staff

AD has had a lot of bad press lately, and I don't recall what it was but so has Fuel Lab. I am also not impressed with the filter arrangement (or ratings) on Fuel Lab, as it requires additional filtration.

Right now I think FASS is the best way to go for electric, aside from OEM in-tank, and a fuel boss or assassin for mechanical.

Just an uneducated observation, but a Fuel Boss appears to me as something designed for competition? is there any real data out there as to the longivity of that setup on a daily driver? There is obviously going to be a considerable amount of labor, and replumbing to go mechanical.

I didn`t buy my truck new, but the OEM carter thats on it now lasted 45K since I have owned it.

Are there any after market pump owners out there who have had good luck.. or is this going to be an enevidible reoccouring issue with electric pumps?

Been running my GDP Walbro LP system for probably about 8 years now.

I think I would be thrilled to get 8 years out of one.  Nothing lasts forever,but if this BD turns out to have a short life span? I may look at a mechanical and keep the electric for auxillary.

ill second the fuel boss. once the system is primed it stays primed. i was able to prime the system on my rebuild by running the fuel boss belt on a cordless drill and he started no issues. it stays lower than the tank so no worried about losing prime. i idle about 16 psi and at speed about 20-21 psi. after spending too much on a raptor that wouldnt keep pressure stable and eventually failed, i went with mechanical and wont turn back

• Like 1