• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT Question

I have another 1st grade question here.. What is the root cause of high exhaust temerature in a turbo diesel?

1. I understand that one componet is engine load

2. I know on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine that a lean air/fuel mixture will cause high exhaust temps.

3. From what I have read, a turbo diesel appears to be just the opposite? Is it a lack of air from the turbo that creates the condition?

With an HY?

NO way! HX35 for sure. Unloaded an HY35 and those mods are manageable with normal driving. Any acceleration or hauling and it can't keep up.

I have another 1st grade question here.. What is the root cause of high exhaust temerature in a turbo diesel?

1. I understand that one componet is engine load

2. I know on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine that a lean air/fuel mixture will cause high exhaust temps.

3. From what I have read, a turbo diesel appears to be just the opposite? Is it a lack of air from the turbo that creates the condition?

3. Yup. Under load, need that airflow to get cool air in and hot exhaust gasses out. Big air pump

OK, I went out and tried to see how high I could go on the boost pressure and the needle wouldn't go any higher than 20 PSI. This was starting at the bottom of the hill without a load or trailer and giving it all she had.

Is 20 PSI considered normal?

Appreciate all the answers and comments.

If the truck is stock it is probably fine, but I would check the intercooler for dirty fins.

What kind of boost are you seeing? A boost elbow is probably the easiest way to cool EGTs. Adding fuel, injectors, will increase EGTS.

20 PSI is about it on boost.

I've seen crazy things in vehicles... especially this time of year!

Just for giggles, check your intake from outside air... to airbox, and make sure it isn't packed with varmints/nests.

Is your rig always been like this, or has this something that came along recently?

Edited by rancherman

I bought it about a year and a half ago and didn't get gauges on until last winter but it has acted this way ever since I had a way of measuring the EGT's.

I will check the intake-I have not checked that. Pack rats were a pain this year. Thanks for the tip.

I did just look at the filter and it was clean as a whistle and I sure don't see it smoking when i get on it.

I am too old to rip and romp the truck but don't mind working it when I need to.

It has 107 K on it now. I have put about 11K miles on so far and a lot of it pulling a trailer.

If you going to add a boost elbow to increase boost pressure you going to need a modules or programmer for sure to do the boost fooling.

I don't think I can add a boost elbow to the HY unless I am missing something. I thought the boost elbow was for the HX.??

Yes, you need a turnbuckle for the HY35. Google it for some pictures.

Getting a turnbuckle is definitely worth a try. I can hit 24 PSI with the HX35, completely stock with a pinched wastegate, and a minor boost leak. (no fueling mods, no boost fooling)

Just don't push that HY past 30 PSI.

• Like 1

I have been running a BHAF for the last 12 or so years without an Outerwares or a heat shield and have had no problems. In fact, I changed the first filter not because it was dirty, but I figured having over 100,000 miles on it I should just for grins and giggles. The filter minder I had on it never moved.

• Like 2

• Owner

I have been running a BHAF for the last 12 or so years without an Outerwares or a heat shield and have had no problems. In fact, I changed the first filter not because it was dirty, but I figured having over 100,000 miles on it I should just for grins and giggles. The filter minder I had on it never moved.

That's funny... I was in the same boat too after 7 years and 135k miles. I gave up on the BHAF not because the filter minder moved but, I was getting a bit worried about the discoloration of the filter media inside. The BHAF was starting to darken like the dirt was making that far. So for sake of my engine and the filters are cheap I replaced it.

• Like 1