• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT Question

This may sound like a 1st grader question, but here goes.

My 2001 with an HY turbo while pulling in the mountains will make the EGT's climb very qiuckly to the point that I have to back off and downshift to keep them in check. I have the stock exhaust, stock air filter, 47RE, 4.10"s Fass 95, gauges, stock sticks and oversized tires. I have searched this site looking for a remedy for to keep these EGT's in check. What I think I have gleaned is that I could swap the HY to a HX, put a aftermarket larger exhaust (by the way, my exhaust system has what looks like 2 mufflers or a cat and a muffler) maybe a BHAF and bigger injectors to help this situation. I just hate being passed by a Toyota Tundra pulling a camper on some of the grades or passes because I have to back off to keep the EGT in check while pulling a trailer grossing no more than 15K. I would like to know if I have interpreted what others are saying and also if I go to the HX turbo if I need to do anything special to mate up the exhaust system, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

the first one is either a resonator or a DPF (diesel particulate filter) i removed both and i pass emissions here in colorado.

and that toyota is probably not gonna last long btw...

i would do a hx, BHAF and larger post turbo exhaust. i did notice faster spool when i installed the bhaf. soon ill be doing a post ex brake pipe and stack that is bigger.

The HX will work, but it will give a slight bit more lag. The problem is the elevation. The HY-35 and HX-35 are functionally equivalent under most engine loads, and the wastegates on both turbos are set for the same boost level. The HY-35 does not breathe as well as the HX-35 at higher speeds under a heavy load. The choke point of the HX35 is around 35psi; the HY35 chokes at about 29psi."(from http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm) The first thing I would do is put a BHAF on your truck. The exhaust is large enough to support your power with plenty of room to spare. Have you looked at your air filter? If it is dirty then you cannot get the air into the engine, but with my set up around here where I live (about 1000 ft elevation) my truck will pull a 6% grade towing in O/D at 60 mph and I can pick up speed going up. I have been in hte Black Hills of South Dakota (approx 6500 ft) and my truck has the same problems you do. I experience power loss and a lot more smoke plus higher EGTs. Far as your exhaust, you probably have a muffler and a resonator. If you eliminated the muffler it might help some with the EGTs.

edit: There is no DPF on a 2001 truck. You have a resonator and a muffler.

Yes, I keep my air filter changed probably too regular, sometimes every oill change.

I have a lot of petal left during the climb and dont see much temp rise in the transmission oil temp when pulling a grade unless I am on a gravel road going slow.

01's dont have a dpf. Thats a 6.7 thing. Most likely you have a cat and muffler. I would start by getting a 4" mbrp exhaust with muffler. It will help with getting exhaust out quicker. I also agree on the bhaf.

What are you hitting for egts?

If I stayed in it I could see 1300 pretty qiuck.

If the truck is stock it is probably fine, but I would check the intercooler for dirty fins.

What kind of boost are you seeing? A boost elbow is probably the easiest way to cool EGTs. Adding fuel, injectors, will increase EGTS.

I do have a Superchip Cortex and run it on 3 of 5. I have also set it back to stock and don't see much difference. I need to pay more attention but think my boost will show close to 30 PSI when in a hard pull.

You can run 1300 all day. I agree a boost elbox would help alot

That is good to know. I get nervous when I get close to 1200.

I think I will try one at a time.

1) Boost elbow and BHAF

2) 4" exhaust

if that does not help then the HX Turbo

Thanks for the help guys.

01's dont have a dpf. Thats a 6.7 thing. Most likely you have a cat and muffler. I would start by getting a 4" mbrp exhaust with muffler. It will help with getting exhaust out quicker. I also agree on the bhaf.

What are you hitting for egts?

Wrong, sir... Stock 24V's came with a resonator and muffler. No CAT or DPF.

If the truck is stock it is probably fine, but I would check the intercooler for dirty fins.

What kind of boost are you seeing? A boost elbow is probably the easiest way to cool EGTs. Adding fuel, injectors, will increase EGTS.

Agreed, check the intercooler, and pay attention to the boost, so you can rule out a boost leak.

When your EGT's spike, what gear are you in? How big are your "over-sized" tires?

The HX will work, but it will give a slight bit more lag. The problem is the elevation. The HY-35 and HX-35 are functionally equivalent under most engine loads, and the wastegates on both turbos are set for the same boost level. The HY-35 does not breathe as well as the HX-35 at higher speeds under a heavy load. The choke point of the HX35 is around 35psi; the HY35 chokes at about 29psi."(from http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm) The first thing I would do is put a BHAF on your truck. The exhaust is large enough to support your power with plenty of room to spare. Have you looked at your air filter? If it is dirty then you cannot get the air into the engine, but with my set up around here where I live (about 1000 ft elevation) my truck will pull a 6% grade towing in O/D at 60 mph and I can pick up speed going up. I have been in hte Black Hills of South Dakota (approx 6500 ft) and my truck has the same problems you do. I experience power loss and a lot more smoke plus higher EGTs. Far as your exhaust, you probably have a muffler and a resonator. If you eliminated the muffler it might help some with the EGTs.

edit: There is no DPF on a 2001 truck. You have a resonator and a muffler.

tnx tom, wasnt sure if it was a resonator or dpf :)
  • Like 1

HY35 is good for stock, anything more than stock and she gets toasty. Mine would get hot with 60 HP injectors alone. I did the swap, well technically a WH1C (same size as HX35), it keeps things cool under load or acceleration with slightly more lag down low. Well worth $150 for a used one. As far as exhausts, I love my 4" but I would get a 5" just for the sound, my preference. 

If he has the HY35 I don't think a boost elbow can be used. Might have to try a j hook or something. Unless I am wrong?? I haven't heard of a bigger exhaust helping all that much with EGT's. Maybe just removing the muffler but as Mike said, the 3 in pipe is more than enough for a stock truck.

Wrong, sir... Stock 24V's came with a resonator and muffler. No CAT or DPF.

Agreed, check the intercooler, and pay attention to the boost, so you can rule out a boost leak.

When your EGT's spike, what gear are you in? How big are your "over-sized" tires?

31" tires and can see high egt temps in 3rd or 4th. I have to drop my speed down to compensate for the temps like I am not working the engine at all.

You can run 1300 all day. I agree a boost elbox would help alot

You must be pretty brave to run 1300 all day on a 2nd gen. Most I would sustain is 1250. 1. You never know if your egt probe is exactly accurate 2. Number 6 is always running hotter than what the probe says because it is mixed with exhaust from 4 and 5. 

15K is a pretty good size load... You are grossing over 20K with the weight of the truck