• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Prices

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

What the heck is going on with fuel prices you keep hearing about how the prices are going to come down. Ok here where I'm at in Central Idaho the price of diesel is still 3.759 and not changed. But unleaded gasoline has now pushed lower to 2.939 as of today. I'm going to have to park the Cummins and start driving the V8 again. But if the price of crude is going down should both diesel and gasoline be going down equally?

You would think the prices would come down the same as gas, but it is heating season and it is the same fuel. Around here there are prices still above $4/ gallon for diesel. I saw a report on PBS that said we can expect prices to drop to $50 per barrel and gasoline to go to under $2 for a bit. I just hope the diesel price drops accordingly.

2 or 3 weeks ago,  diesel went up  almost  50 cents in  one day...   In  one town.     All the other surrounding towns  it only went up 10 or 20 cents.      Nobody  can give a reason  why.  Other than  'opportunists'.   

Since then,    those  towns  have settled down back to the 'pre screwing'  price.   (foreplay???)

All I can  think of is  the  big blast of  cold  from that  arctic  vortex...  that got all the   'gloom and doomers'    thinking  of   the  heating oil switch.      Transporters  were/are   hauling  heating oil   which   dipped into the  diesel delivery supply???

GEEZ..    yesterday   I had  a  'high'  of  74  on my   'hi-low'   thermometer.    This morning,  it  is  7,    plus the  wind has it down to almost   minus  20  WC.        I believe  that is  the  biggest  12 hour spread  I've ever seen here.

I'm sitting here  waitin on all the block heaters to do their job..   my  electric meter is  glowing,  spinning like a top out there!

Edited by rancherman

• Owner

Ok... So explain why diesel prices are higher in Ontario, OR and Boise, ID then a little piss ant town of Riggins, ID? I was seeing 3.839 to 3.899 for diesel but come home I can get diesel for 3.759 in Riggins, ID. Doesn't make much sense to me. But gasoline is falling like a anvil of the Empire State Building.

• Like 1

Ok... So explain why diesel prices are higher in Ontario, OR and Boise, ID then a little piss ant town of Riggins, ID? I was seeing 3.839 to 3.899 for diesel but come home I can get diesel for 3.759 in Riggins, ID. Doesn't make much sense to me. But gasoline is falling like a anvil of the Empire State Building.

They must like gouging the "militia types" in Idaho!! :duh:  :2cents:

It's gotta be a logistical thing Mike...................You're "out there" man...........................even the towns close to you are out there.....................most of us live closer to the rat race.

• Owner

It's official... The 2002 Dodge is parked till further notice. I've now moved all my fire gear and stuff over to 1996 Dodge and going to be driving it. Rumor has it that price of gasoline is coming down again but diesel will remain at 3.759... Ugh... So even after doing the math its cheaper to drive the gasser. I went through and clean the truck up, vacuumed, check the fluids and moved my ScanGauge II over and reset it. (233% offset for the gasser and 15.2% for the diesel). Even moved the Garmin GPS over as well.

Prices are all over the place, all over the country. I'm in middle tennessee.

Filled my Dodge @ $3.379 gallon (Shell) and the wife gasser @ $2.409 gallon (Mapco), best prices at the time.

Yet your prices are what we paid a few months ago.

My kids in California are paying more than you up north are.

And the other day it was on the news of another state had a station where gas was just over $2.00 gallon.

Prices are going to be interesting.  There are a lot of factors.  The politics, EPA, OPEC, and regional pricing differences are going to make things more odd for a while. 

I will warn you guys though... Don't expect low prices to stay.  If we end up having an oil bust, give it a year or two and plan on having  $5-10/gal oil quite easily. 

In short, I recommend budgeting for the high prices and saving the difference at the pump for the next couple years. 

Edited by CSM

• Owner

One of the reasons I'm such a economy freak. Everything I do is long distance. I can drive 100 miles easy in one day just going to the hardware store or grocery store. If I'm going big city shopping like WalMart its a good 120-180 miles one way excluding all the running around. So in a lot of ways I'm glad I've got 2 vehicles on two different fuel types. It's going to be a good time to fill up my gasoline barrel here too I'm running low.

• Staff

Here in Escondido, CA gas is $2.819/gal of gas and $3.459/gal for diesel. The price of all fuels are going to go up this Jan.1st because of a new "carbon off set tax" that's going to start. This tax is to help reduce global warming at the rate of 10¢ to $1 / gal. of any fuel. We're trying to stop the implementation of the tax but in this left coast state you might as well spit in the wind.

Just paid $3.63 for diesel in Missoula last night. Gas is hovering about 1 dollar less per gallon as always. I do all my grocery shopping at Safeway so as to get the fuel rewards. I know not everyone has the chance to that though. Every $100 spent at safeway, you get $.10 off per gallon up to like 25 gallons. The limit is $1.00 off per gallon and I usually don't need to fill up until I reach that point anyway. It is quite nice to fill the truck up for under $3.00 a gallon!!

Just fueled up my truck Saturday here in Nampa.  Paid $3.62 at the new Fred Meyer station (no rewards).  Lowest I've seen down here for a long while.  The next lowest is at Phillips at $3.69.

Gas is $2.72 at Costco and $2.99 most other stations.

That's as high a spread (between diesel and regular gas) as I have seen in a while also.  Usually it has been in the range of 15% premium over regular gas.  It's more like 20% premium currently.  :cry:

We have the same in TN with Krogers and Shell. This month I should get 50 cents off per gallon for up to 35 gallons.

I would like to see this administration get off their rear ends and pass the XL pipeline, with that flowing it would help keep the prices low. And it wouldn't matter much if OPEC wants to cut production rates. If XL were running, OPEC would have to cut enough to hurt themselves before they would hurt us. And Putin would be crying.

But hate to mention this, but there might be a jump in prices for a bit. This is the time of the year refineries do their turn-a-rounds. That mean they will shut down certain units, totally rebuild them as needed for the next run. Usually the coast raise is known on the west coast since they consume more per family per year than the rest of the country, and their politicians need to money to spend. (I'm glad I don't live there anymore).