• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MY time has come!

So, I took the truck to a shop this morning with the intention of achieving the usual alignment interval...

I get a call about a 1/2 hour or so before work, that they were unable to perform an alignment on my truck. What? Bullhonky! So I had him gather info. on what was going on.

1. RH outer tie rod completely shot.

2. Steering stabilizer done for

3. Steering gearbox sloppy

I also asked them to rotate my tires and they said it was done....

Huh, well, little did they realize, my front wheels are discolored from the brake dust. When I got there, they were still in front! grr... They also told me my front outer brake pads were almost worn down to nothing?!

I told them I just replaced the pads/calipers less than a year ago!

I'm not quite sure what to think as I feel like in order to tell what the pad life on the brakes are, they need to remove the wheels. Which they did not do as since they did not rotate the tires. It just raises my suspicions!

I did not realize the steering was that out of whack? I kind of figured the steering was just fine? Maybe I'm just used to how it steers...

I need a couple pointers and diagnosing these parts to see if they are really out of spec and they are not just pulling my chain. I already have a hard enough time trusting auto repair shops. They are my necessary evil for alignments, new tires, etc....

So, if indeed these parts need replaced, I might as well get it all done in one fell swoop if not too spendy. What brands should I go with, and if I need a gearbox, which one. If there are alternatives or something to use to upgrade instead and whether or not there will be interferences with other parts. Like I know the steering brace is not compatible with some gearboxes, etc.

Basically, what do I need to do to the steering components to make this go away and stay away! I'm looking at doing bilsteins for shocks so I will probably get a dampener from bilstein as well...

It was something that was not on my to do list, nor what I wanted to do to the truck. I just ordered head studs to try and take advantage of the deal on it. The wifes not too thrilled about all of this, lol...

• Staff

If they lied why stay there? I wouldn't !

Go to Source automotive in Clackamas, Oregon, cause I think your ball joints are probably done too. They are a bit more money but, boy, talk about good honest work with no BS aimed at you with the BS gun..... They know all the tricks and aftermarket upgrades. Used all the good stuff on mine.

You can stay here at my little ranch in your rv if you wish...... 20 minutes away. Will help drop off your truck and go pick up for you when done

Mike.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

To check the tie rod, jack the side up (I usually do both sides when checking steering WITH JACK STANDS). Grab front & rear of tire and try to wobble backk & forth. You will see the slop.

As for the steering box, you can adjust that easilt. I am not sure if there is an article here, but if not, google it. If the box tightens up & there is still slop, loog at the top rag joint near the firewall. Have someone steer the wheel back & forth & see if it is sloppy. Disconnect stabilizer & see if there is resistance both ways. Should be similar to a non gas charged shock.

Ed

• Owner

Ummm... Hex your a 4WD there is nothing but toe adjustment to do on the 4WD.

As for the steering box there is a sector adjustment to take up slack the instruction are in the Factory Service Manual. But I would look and see why your getting excessive wear all of a sudden too. Is the the fluid dark and broke down? If so time to flush the power steering system then adjust everything up.

Steering stabilizer is easy to do yourself.

I highly suggest doing as much as you can yourself and letting "another shop" do the alignment.

Another easy way to check for wear in the tierods is to have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering components. If there is play you will see it.

• Like 1

If they lied why stay there? I wouldn't !

Go to Source automotive in Clackamas, Oregon, cause I think your ball joints are probably done too. They are a bit more money but, boy, talk about good honest work with no BS aimed at you with the BS gun..... They know all the tricks and aftermarket upgrades. Used all the good stuff on mine.

You can stay here at my little ranch in your rv if you wish...... 20 minutes away. Will help drop off your truck and go pick up for you when done

Mike.

I probably will never consider them again. In fact, I have been thinking about calling them out on it. I get so paranoid about auto shops. I had a little mazda truck I was using for DD'ing a long time ago and had some stuff I needed fixed. I was out of town on a job so a co-worker helped me get it to the shop to be fixed while I was at work. Got my truck back, realized a full, un-opened can of carb cleaner was missing.

Ever since then, I get worked up about whether or not I need to take everything out of the truck for fear of one of them getting sticky fingers...

BTW, I did not realize I must portray myself as one that is loaded with enough money to make a road trip just to get some front end work done! Or are you just a little excited about the thought and could use some of my company? :ashamed:

To check the tie rod, jack the side up (I usually do both sides when checking steering WITH JACK STANDS). Grab front & rear of tire and try to wobble backk & forth. You will see the slop.

As for the steering box, you can adjust that easilt. I am not sure if there is an article here, but if not, google it. If the box tightens up & there is still slop, loog at the top rag joint near the firewall. Have someone steer the wheel back & forth & see if it is sloppy. Disconnect stabilizer & see if there is resistance both ways. Should be similar to a non gas charged shock.

Ed

Isn't this the same method as trying to check the wheel bearings? Looks like I have some fun to look forward to in the snow! Yay! :hyper:

Ummm... Hex your a 4WD there is nothing but toe adjustment to do on the 4WD.

As for the steering box there is a sector adjustment to take up slack the instruction are in the Factory Service Manual. But I would look and see why your getting excessive wear all of a sudden too. Is the the fluid dark and broke down? If so time to flush the power steering system then adjust everything up.

Steering stabilizer is easy to do yourself.

I highly suggest doing as much as you can yourself and letting "another shop" do the alignment.

...so are you telling me I could do my own alignments at home? How does one adjust the toe? I did replace the power steering fluid no more than 2 years ago. Did brake fluid last year. In the 4 years I have owned this truck, I've only put 20k miles on it....

Another easy way to check for wear in the tierods is to have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the steering components. If there is play you will see it.

I've heard about doing this too.. Guess its time to try it again.

Pads were out on one side dew to sliders are rusted up and out of grease. Also when you get them out use a round file or something to clean the hole they are in, rust will swell rubber and pinch off sliders. And use special grease don't use anti seize it will dry out.

...that is if they were even telling me the truth! The caliper slide bolts had plenty of grease on them when I bought the calipers. But, because they did not do a tire rotation, I will be getting my chance to take a look at everything! yay! :ahhh:

I tell ya, if there is one thing I could have, it would be a well-lit shop, heated, concrete floor and a 2-post lift!

Maybe you need a new job. Funny I've got everything but the 2 post lift at home. But at work I've got the 2 post lift rated for 9,000 pounds.

...O_O I'm liking my job! Can't always say that about most. Time is my enemy. I must be patient a little longer. One day I will have my ultimate job. Bees!

Google " Beer can alignment " Seriously.

Ed

I will, seriously! :tongue:

Hex, iirc the wheel bearing check is by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and rocking in and out. The steering component check is by grabbing the tire and rocking side to side. If there is any play you will feel it. (in either the wheel bearing check or the steering check)

Will do! Just gotta stick out the rain a little longer. I hope it will get below 30 so things can freeze again, or get warmer to dry out... :rolleyes:

Another method, raise the front tires off the ground and stick a pry bar under the tire and lift up. If it clunks, ball joints or wheel bearing is bad, but someone has to be looking underneath to see what is moving.

Well, it would not surprise me any if I will have to go through it all here soon anyways. Everything looks to be OEM. Not bad for over 200k miles?

• 4 weeks later...

So, while i was down in Spokane,i Took the truck to a shop i could trust. They told me they could not do the alignment and that the front end is toasted.

Someone have a list of parts that i would need for the front? Any upgrades available i would like too. I'm going to replace everything in one shot so i don't have to chase rabbits. I want to replace the gearbox too. Which gearbox do i want?

Where can i get all the parts? Rock auto?

I will get busted for this..but I needed a steering box for mine as well.

Stealer couldn't even get 1.

The good aftermarket ones are about 800 by the time they get here with shipping and core 150 and 150.

Went to a salvage yard...they told me that a 1/2 ton box fits right on and without the weight of the cummins they dont wear out near as fast.

50 bucks later I had a tight box and no leaks. I did have to swap out pitman arms.

The new box seems to be a tiny bit quicker ratio, not much though.

I figgured for that price I could at least try it.

Regards Chris

So, while i was down in Spokane,i Took the truck to a shop i could trust. They told me they could not do the alignment and that the front end is toasted.

Someone have a list of parts that i would need for the front? Any upgrades available i would like too. I'm going to replace everything in one shot so i don't have to chase rabbits. I want to replace the gearbox too. Which gearbox do i want?

Where can i get all the parts? Rock auto?

I have a redhead gearbox, it was great the first few months then loosened up. Then again I haven't adjusted the nut yet either so it could just need some tightening. In the future, I would do a new borgeson gearbox and shaft.