• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Straight Pipe Exhaust - 2001 4x4 2500

Hey guys.I want to straight pipe my exhaust. I know moparman has it - any1 else with any experiences ?? Any difference in reducing EGT ? Any increase in HP or mpg ?? Any issues with safety/state car checks ? Anyone know the part number from NAPA ?? Just something like EXH 49099 ?? Most importantly - where do I cut off the old one/unclamp and attach - and directions - assume simple but pretty new :) thx all :cool:

• Owner

Hey guys.

I want to straight pipe my exhaust.

I know moparman has it - any1 else with any experiences ??

Yeap I sure do..

Any difference in reducing EGT ? Any increase in HP or mpg ??

There is a little change in EGt for the cooler... Then a bit more MPG...

Any issues with safety/state car checks ?

None here in Adams County, Idaho. But would check with your local inspector...

Anyone know the part number from NAPA ?? Just something like EXH 49099 ??

I just ask for 3" exhaust pipe cut at xx Inches. Then went to my local muffler shop and had it expand the ends.

Most importantly - where do I cut off the old one/unclamp and attach - and directions - assume simple but pretty new :)

I unclamped my old muffler and resinator assembly and with a littlw work (and a torch) I pulled mine out. No I didn't cut it out I heat the crushed spots and pull the muffler out without cutting.

thx all

:cool:

Here is my write up...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/muffler-delete/muffler-delete.htm

Posted ImagePosted Image

I was so cheap I even re-used my old clamps.

I went a extra step with a piece of re-bar and bent some hangers and welded them to my pipe for extra support. (not in pic)

I replaced the whole system, a turbo back SS kit, including oversize pipe, straight through "muffler" & even larger exhaust tip. The kit came off e-bay in a huge box. Everything was in there. No BS. There were 2 grades of Stainless available & I chose the less costly. The kit could accommidate several model variations and had duplicate brackets. The excess brackets were cut off in installation & the installer stated that some needed tweeking to clear the spare tire & suspension (at the same time). I feel the straight through muffler with it's tiny louvers was a great investment... the truck sailed through state inspection. "See it has a muffler!" (Yeah, one you could put your arm straight through.) The OEM exhaust steps down at the muffler, so somewhere in there you'll need to step down. I didn't worry about it since I wasn't going to reuse the tailpipe... in fact the tailpipe had rusted out of the back of the muffler & I threw it away quite some time ago. I find the truck is somewhat noisier with the new complete system than the old one sans tailpipe. It isn't bad in normal driving but there's definately a bark on a steep grade. I can't wait to hook the 10,000 # trailer up as I expect it'll really talk to me. The only experience I have to compare is my old C30 with built 454, headers into oversize pipes. Again it was a complete system which came with glass packs... It sounded nice around town... but drove me out of the cab with a 5000 # trailer. I matched up oversize truck mufflers to the oversize pipes & was able to tow without deafening the horses. Best wishes, Russ

Edited by flagmanruss

My sons's 06 is straight piped. Egt's are cooler and HP is a little higher. Sounds real nice. Had only 1 problem with it when he was stopped in a "protected widlife area". The police man said he was going to give him a ticket for the noise ( he knew it was straight piped) my son told him that he would have to start writing tickets for the semis for being straight piped. The officer said "have a nice day!"

• Owner

Had only 1 problem with it when he was stopped in a "protected widlife area". The police man said he was going to give him a ticket for the noise ( he knew it was straight piped) my son told him that he would have to start writing tickets for the semis for being straight piped. The officer said "have a nice day!"

I got pulled over a while back for no mud flaps... I look back in my mirrior and ask why his vehicle didn't have any... Funny he gave me a warning and left... As for being straight piped... Just use your head and you can control the loudness of your pipe. If you got a heavy foot you going to attract every police offier around. But if you cool hand Luke you can cruise right on by and smiley every time. When I'm in Boise, ID I can run right beside police officer and just smile without a second thought... But I keep my foot light on the throotle... Been straight piped for 6 years now and never had a issues about it yet! :thumb1:

Ths may be a dumber, but whats the purpose of the apple juice can ahead of the muffler in your picture MM? Mine getting a little cheasy and was wondering if i can just junk it when it goes or if i'll have to replace it. Was wondering if it's some type of emmisions junk

Thats funny - :lol: yeah I might ring the place I did my inspection or drop by and see how 'strict' the tone is on this - as from what I read its not 'legal' in MO - and we will be travelling around a bit in late 2010 and into 2011. Really like Moparmans idea of just getting the pipe from NAPA and flexing the ends out - as always nice details/doc ............ just I am from AUS and we only have to have our cars inspected if they ever get out of licence (ie you forget) or get flagged by police when they pull you over for speeding etc - no other times really - but here I understand it to be every year or other year depending on your plates. If they fail me on the straight pipe not sure if it would be easy to put a muffler back on and what it would cost . Guessing I could just split the pipe again and put in an $80 muffler from NAPA and that would pass ?

Allegedly, some with access to welding tools have built a can around a piece of straight pipe so there is something there if anyone looks underneath. In my case the tailpipe rotted out about the same time as the exit flange on the back of the muffler... I went to SS more to prevent a recurrance than anything. It really ticked me off seeings as a 84? GMC 1500 I'd owned (ex ended up with it) we'd de-catted and replaced the gas filler neck with one off a one ton... had an OEM SS exhaust!

Hey - yeah - I have talked to a bunch of people on here and around where I live and thinking I might be creating too many headaches for myself due to the MO laws (require muffler) and we will be travelling through a bunch os states over next cpl years. Anyone seen this ? http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/site/988369/product/AEROMUFFLER not sure if I can post here - but was wondering if I can just straight pipe the exhaust but include a muffler like this - seems since its straight through it should work fairly well ?? I guess though then there might not be much difference in cost and everything to just buying a MBRP with straight through muffler. still scratching ?? ...........

Hey - yeah - I have talked to a bunch of people on here and around where I live and thinking I might be creating too many headaches for myself due to the MO laws (require muffler) and we will be travelling through a bunch os states over next cpl years. Anyone seen this ? http://www.parleysdieselperformance.com/site/988369/product/AEROMUFFLER not sure if I can post here - but was wondering if I can just straight pipe the exhaust but include a muffler like this - seems since its straight through it should work fairly well ?? I guess though then there might not be much difference in cost and everything to just buying a MBRP with straight through muffler. still scratching ?? ...........

Hey, How about just getting a RSD (Rolling Smoke Diesel) exhaust kit??? Wouldn't be a lot more and you would get a little gain from the larger pipe!:thumb1: Later, Winslow

HeyYeah they look pretty ok - I think I can get a slightly better price on a MBRP tho .........................was really wanting to straight pipe it as people including moparman have done and :thumb1: but then seemed like I 'might' have to change back to muffler exhaust for inspections every 1-2 yrs - and I will be living in RV so hard to tow around 2nd exhaust so then was wondering if I can still straight pipe it - but add the most basic muffler via clamps somewhere - that I could easily add for inspections and remove for the rest of the year. just seems a hassle so thinking just a 4" MBRP or silverline as they seem the cheapest

did mine after installing straight pipes on a 379 pete, took chrome 5'' pipes off top of mufflers cut down to 5'' 90 deg. 1 5'' y pipe one 4'' to 5'' reducer and some flex pipe all from local semi shop total cost about $150 and have been asked to repeat on several other trucks, drone on hot shot trips gets old though but smoking out tailgaters still outweighs noise

Hey Yeah they look pretty ok - I think I can get a slightly better price on a MBRP tho ......................... was really wanting to straight pipe it as people including moparman have done and :thumb1: but then seemed like I 'might' have to change back to muffler exhaust for inspections every 1-2 yrs - and I will be living in RV so hard to tow around 2nd exhaust so then was wondering if I can still straight pipe it - but add the most basic muffler via clamps somewhere - that I could easily add for inspections and remove for the rest of the year. just seems a hassle so thinking just a 4" MBRP or silverline as they seem the cheapest

Hey, Really??? I was thinking the MBRP/ Silverline were more money???:ahhh: Later, Winslow

When I installed my MBRP 4 years ago, they sold a straight pipe with a muffler case around it. It looks exactly like a diesel muffler from the outside but the inside is just a straight pipe. It works great to get me through inspection. I did a search and can't find the MBRP version but did find this one; http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/shop/products/Sneaker_Muffler-458-13.html .

Posted Image

• Owner

When I installed my MBRP 4 years ago, they sold a straight pipe with a muffler case around it. It looks exactly like a diesel muffler from the outside but the inside is just a straight pipe. It works great to get me through inspection. I did a search and can't find the MBRP version but did find this one; http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/shop/products/Sneaker_Muffler-458-13.html .

Posted Image

I've been looking for that... :thumb1:

I just got my muffler from freightliner. Told them I wanted the same muffler semi trucks use since it goes in and out using 5". The inside has this swirl perforated stuff and you can see through it too. Tight fit under the truck though :lol: It was $75.

Another thought is assuming you have a welder a cut off wheel and some basic skills and patience glove are good to lol this was my high school project on my 91 cummins you take the stock muffler (assuming you have it still) cut it open remove all the baffels and weld her shut no cost and it sounds great till you do a barrel roll with the truck :banghead: lol my 99 dodge that I bought with the silverline exhaust is now the same way cuz it sounds better and its easy and they can be picky here in Wisconsin about those mufflers only in certain countys tho I dont get it, btw some states take different action between gassers and diesels since our trucks are normally loud it is acceptable in most places that there st8 piped even tho state law doesnt allow str8 piped exhaust hope this helped some