• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

I'm leaning towards vp.... I know it was tested, but its computer could be causing the intermittent miss. I don't know what hard parts could cause intermittent problems. Maybe Nick will let me borrow his for a few hours....

Got it on the stand. This should make it very easy to work on.

Hopefully pistons out tomorrow and lots of cleaning. I'm still working on getting the head taken care of. Hopefully Tuesday I will have the place and a quote. I just need to make sure they can cut for O rings and sink the valves in further.

IMG_20150523_211204_045_zpskon49z9j.jpg

IMG_20150523_211223_100_zps2avtp9zs.jpg

IMG_20150523_211320_447_zpsqdrx8gpa.jpg

IMG_20150523_211334_565_zpsfxleviqy.jpg

• Like 1

wow, the eng. stand is impressive! :thumb1:  thanks for showing ur project!   i rebuild my tractor eng. [piston sleeves where pitted, wet sleeves] & loved it!  :cool: i still think i should have been an eng. mech.................. :)

Thank you! I rebuild an international 1466 diesel that was wet sleeved as well. When it was assembled the O rings on the bottom of the liners were coated with oil instead of a non-petro product and it smeared them up the side of the liner. So I bought it pouring antifreeze into the pan.

If you wanna borrow my vp44 we can do that.

Thanks man. I'll reassemble with my vp, and it it's still doing its unusual noises I'll give you a call. 

Well I pulled the pistons and they look good. All of the piston cooling jets are in place, and the wrist pins are tight. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of carbon between the first and second compression wring. I mean there's a lot there! Nothing was getting past the second ring though, so no shocker the compression was great.

I think it's the VP making the truck knock like it is.... Unless you guys have any other ideas I'm officially out.

Pistons.

IMG_20150525_165018_591_zpsputq9shn.jpg

Block.

IMG_20150525_165040_366_zpsgdtyto5m.jpg

I also polished the intake plenum cover. It looks better than the picture shows... couldn't get a picture to show up right.

IMG_20150525_212621_251_zpsciwbcgst.jpg

Well I pulled the pistons and they look good. All of the piston cooling jets are in place, and the wrist pins are tight. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of carbon between the first and second compression wring. I mean there's a lot there! Nothing was getting past the second ring though, so no shocker the compression was great.

I think it's the VP making the truck knock like it is.... Unless you guys have any other ideas I'm officially out.

Pistons.

IMG_20150525_165018_591_zpsputq9shn.jpg

WOW!! like six little piggies in a pen!   thank 4 showing!

Alright update time! I got a "worst case" quote for the head today. Including O rings and assuming everything is bad it's $1,500 bucks.

I am going to drop in rod bearings, main bearings, hone the cylinders, and a new set of rings. (Assuming my pistons are ok. I'll have to measure ring slop)

Now I'm looking at FULL gasket kits and am wondering what you guys have experience with.... I found a Mahle set that includes everything, but is Mahle high quality?? Any input is appreciated!

From reading online, genuine Cummins parts seem to be the most trouble free. A little more expensive but it's a safe bet. When I eventually pull the head on mine, I'll use a Cummins head gasket. I've debated mahle, fel pro, victor reinz and haven't had any real trouble/experience with any of their gaskets so far. Valve cover gasket from VR stopped one leak I had. My fel pro oil pan gasket leaks, but those are known to. Every other gasket on my truck is genuine cummins. I would recommend a 3rd gen intake manifold gasket, they are rubber encased metal where the 2nd gens are a treated paper.

• Like 1