• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low Smoke Passing Power

My truck is a 2001 QCLB Dodge 24V Cummins, 3.54, built 47RE, 75HP injectors, Edge Juice CTS tuner, 4" exhaust.  I am in the process of installing a 64/71/14 High Tech turbo, just waiting for flex oil drain.  My goal is to have great power from 50-90 MPH for passing very quickly on two lane highways.  Would like to do this without smoking everyone out.  From what I have read, F1 injectors are probably the way to go for low smoke.  What size?  Mach 2 is 105 HP, Mach 3 is 130 HP and  Mach 4 is 150 HP.  They are all 7 holes, don't know the hole sizes. 

I would support CCP DFI DAP or Vulcan ( not sure who's injectors they have now days)

I know CCP DFI and DAP all make great injectors in house.  I personally went with DFI injectors, chris was great to work with and he has VERY reasonable prices ( $350 shipped for 100hp injectors)

64/71/14? That is a big turbo. With that big of turbo, you'll need big injectors to spool it. You'll smoke in low rpms with big injectors and small injectors won't spool that turbo. If you're set on that size turbo you probably need at least 125s or 150s. Call a vendor and get their 2 cents.

Thats a big turbo.  It will be tough to keep the smoke down at low RPMs.  You will be able to do what you are looking for at speed, but you will need fuel to do it.  Honestly, I would call some of the vendors and start asking questions.  I am betting they will tell you to go with a 100-150 hp 7 hole injector and you will need a programmer/fuel box to get that whole kit to work decently. 

I think you will end up with a rather peaky power curve.  

Edited by CSM

A lot goes into making good injectors, far more than I could ever pretend to know.  It's the "low smoke" aspect that makes this inquiry difficult to answer.  Perhaps I should be asking who has the highest manufacturing and quality control standards, or who does the most design research and testing?  These are the areas that set great injectors apart from good ones.

• Owner

Like for CR engine BBI injectors are the best for power smoke control.  Just like Coyotekiller said there is a lot behindmaking a low smoke big injector. But still in all with large injectors you going to need a fuel managment system that will provide enough fuel lag to allow the turbo to spool and then let go.

I'm running an Edge Juice CTS without the pump wire tap.  It's very clean even on 5 with the current 62/65/13 turbo and 75 HP injectors.  I may tap the pump wire at some point, but it will be with a quick disconnect, or better yet, a two way switch in the cab.  That way, I can run clean 99.9% of the time and still have additional "dirty torque" if there is a need to prove my manhood at the track.

The reason for going to a 64/71/14 turbo with bigger injectors is for eye bulging passing power.  The installation may be done tomorrow evening if two needed bolts arrive tomorrow morning.  It will be run with the current 75HP injectors initially.  We'll see how that goes.  I just thought I would ask for some expert opinions about clean injectors in the 100-150 HP range.  There's a good chance they will be needed. 

• Like 1

If you already have 75s then at least bump up to 125s or 150s. Like you said, try the new turbo with the 75's and see how it is. I have DFI 100s, love them, with a pretty much stock charger. That 64/71 could probably handle 200s, but again smokey in the low rpms

I'm running an Edge Juice CTS without the pump wire tap.  It's very clean even on 5 with the current 62/65/13 turbo and 75 HP injectors.  I may tap the pump wire at some point, but it will be with a quick disconnect, or better yet, a two way switch in the cab.  That way, I can run clean 99.9% of the time and still have additional "dirty torque" if there is a need to prove my manhood at the track.

The reason for going to a 64/71/14 turbo with bigger injectors is for eye bulging passing power.  The installation may be done tomorrow evening if two needed bolts arrive tomorrow morning.  It will be run with the current 75HP injectors initially.  We'll see how that goes.  I just thought I would ask for some expert opinions about clean injectors in the 100-150 HP range.  There's a good chance they will be needed. 

Gonna be able to get that POTENTIAL bad boy past the smog boy in Commiefornia???? :2cents:

The purpose for "eye bulging passing power" is for what purpose???? :ahhh:  :cookoo:  :duh:

Buzzinhalfdozen earns a special award for clarity of thought with his response to the purpose for "eye bulging passing power".  

Regarding the question of getting past the smog regulations, not everyone is required to pass this test.  Some of the rural areas are exempt from the Californicator Air Resources Board requirements.  I can drive the truck as long as I want, however, I won't be able to sell it in state.

Edited by CoyoteKiller
  • Like 1

• Owner

More I think about this the more I'm wanting to say it time to consider twins if you planning on large injectors. That would clean it up. But in the same token with CARB and EPA rules to play with I would say drop a drop injectors sizes just enough to keep it cleaned up on a low setting.

Seriously how much power do you want? Mine has 500 to the wheels with a 62/65/12 and 125hp injectors. I can go from 50-100 VERY quickly when I want to. Tap the pump wire and it'll be a whole different truck.

The 64/71/14 turbo is now operational, along with a stainless exhaust manifold.  As predicted by a lot of participants in this discussion, this larger turbo has resulted in a lot more smoke at low RPMs, even on the economy and tow settings of the Juice Touch.  You have to roll onto the accelerator slowly when in overdrive.  The good news is that the power band has been moved up the RPM range considerably, which is exactly what I wanted.  Passing power is starting to be sensational.  Connecting the pump solenoid wire and installing larger injectors are definitely on the agenda this summer.

I think the 64/71 turbo is exactly the right move for quicker passing.  Less time spent on the wrong side of the road is worth investing in.  Now it's just a matter of finding the best fuel delivery settings and driving style to keep the smoke to a minimum.  I'm still not certain what injectors will work best.  Have read that the VCO design tends to produce less smoke than the SAC design.  Also found out yesterday that F1 makes a Mach 3, which is 7 holes and 130 HP.  I'm still wondering if the Mach 4s would produce too much smoke, and the Mach 2's at 105 HP would be less than optimal for this bigger fan.