• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How can I Lower My Egt's

10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would test the wires at the ABS computer.  truck off, Use a paper clip to "jump" the connector at the pumpkin, then use a multimeter to ohm out the circuit at the abs computer.  

It should be VERY close to 0.00

I would expect your mph gauge to read before 15-20 mph.  that and the abs codes make me thing you have a wiring issue.  There is a junction above the drivers front tire that gets nasty and corroided.  

On the fender well?

Ok two things; 

First(yes I know I'm three years late for the vid, so sue me).

On 7/21/2015 at 3:03 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Wash it out with water...

(Please don't do this it will do damage to a diesel... Just trying to be a bit funny)

This actually can be of value and used if done properly. I would not use liquid water for starters. Steam cleaning is a great way to clean if you suspect buildup.

Second; If KBeckers charger has a 68mm turbine there will be little to no difference going to a 62mm compressor.

Edited by jlbayes

• Owner
3 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

stock gearing on 35's and 6 spd i usually get between 650-750 cruising 65

These are the EGT's I get for 80 MPH with stock gearing and 235's. 

3 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

on setting 5 i can hammer the pedal and peg the boost to 31 and egt hit ~1200-1300 easy

Quadzilla wide open I can peg 45 PSI of boost and hit 1,400 EGT's (no limits).

• Staff
7 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

stock gearing on 35's and 6 spd i usually get between 650-750 cruising 65.  on setting 5 i can hammer the pedal and peg the boost to 31 and egt hit ~1200-1300 easy, i do that for a second or two at least once when i take it out just to heat it up and clean stuff. most the time im in setting 1

I often wonder how long at what temp it takes to help clean out carbon on the pistons and soot from the head. I know my first couple tows in the spring, after not towing all winter, will get some extra soot out the exhaust at 25+ psi and 1100°+ for a minute or two. 

• Like 1

i thought i've read somewhere you needed 1200 for a good long while to clean them up. i know i have a 17 mile hill that is 4-7% with most at the 6% grade, and i can't stay at the 1200 EGT's long enough else i'm doing 80+ towing my 13K trailer. (good tuner) 

If i grab another gear 6th, then i'm worried about killing the trans. 

• Staff

I'd still wait and see. I believe the comment about them being too small was made in reference to your ability to light the turbo.. that should be a fixed issue with lower gearing. 

From there see what your cruise and peak EGT's are, as well as towing. 

• Owner

Another way to just check is to mark your driveshaft and the tires. Now rotate the driveshaft until you make one revolution of the tire. The number times the driveshaft spins is going to be your gear ratio. So if you are a bit over 3 and half turns then you've got 3.55 gears. If your barely over 4 turns then you have 4.10 gears.  

• Staff
10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another way to just check is to mark your driveshaft and the tires. Now rotate the driveshaft until you make one revolution of the tire. The number times the driveshaft spins is going to be your gear ratio. So if you are a bit over 3 and half turns then you've got 3.55 gears. If your barely over 4 turns then you have 4.10 gears.  

I think he is trying to determine the axle itself, not the gears. 

Should be a Dana 60 front and a Dana 70U rear, IIRC