• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The time has come to produce the Mopar1973Man High Idle & MPG fooler switches again.

7 hours ago, sleezy said:

Finally got the write-up posted on CF.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/1841457-new-high-idle-switch-available.html#post21191873

Let me know if I should change anything or add anything. I do have pictures of my ScanGauge showing the IAT and ECT reading as designed, but I figured the post was getting long. I can throw em up if somebody asks.

Looks great! Nice write up on CF

6 hours ago, notlimah said:

Great looking install Sleezy!

Being in Vancouver your idea of cold and mine must be different! haha I think it gets plenty cold to use 3cyl, but I also want to try and warm the truck up as quickly as possible as a lot of my trips are short.

We'll see how often I end up using the high idle once I actually get it enabled in the ECM. (You don't have a Smarty by any chance, do you?)

I just meant it's not a big rush. I don't think we hit 32 out here once last winter. Hopefully this year though! We need that snow pack!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sleezy said:

We'll see how often I end up using the high idle once I actually get it enabled in the ECM. (You don't have a Smarty by any chance, do you?)

I just meant it's not a big rush. I don't think we hit 32 out here once last winter. Hopefully this year though! We need that snow pack!

No smarty here =\ I had to suck it up and take it to the dealership. They had "no clue why you'd want to just run it on 3cyl, it'd run like ****!" but they got it done so I didn't stick around to try and educate haha!

I think even last night we were getting close to 32 so I imagine it'll be a cooler winter this year. I'd love to hit the slopes this year so the more snow the better!

I'm up on Whidbey Island so just the local dealership here. They seemed to not really have an idea of how to do it, but they figured it out. Somehow it took them a while to realize they needed to update the ECU to the latest version in order for them to enable the high idle.

They charged 90 bucks -_-

I feel it would've taken less then 30 minutes had they actually known what they were doing, which would've cost 55, but they got the extra outta me, which I was thrilled about.

Last year was pretty bleak, but I've heard talks of it being pretty calm this year as well since its an El Nino year an all, but we'll see

Yeah, we're big on night skiing out here. But the snow out your way is sooo nice. 

2 hours ago, notlimah said:

I'm up on Whidbey Island so just the local dealership here. They seemed to not really have an idea of how to do it, but they figured it out. Somehow it took them a while to realize they needed to update the ECU to the latest version in order for them to enable the high idle.

They charged 90 bucks -_-

Oh, I was thinking you were in Vancouver also. Yeah I don't think I'll make that drive for a $90 dealer visit.

I don't know of anybody remotely near me who has a Smarty either. I can't justify buying one just for the high idle. Guess I'll start visiting the stealerships.

Thanks for looking out! Thing is, I simply don't need a Smarty. I may as well pay the $90 at the dealer, because it's the only time I'd ever use it. $400 is a lot to spend on something that's going to sit around not being used.

Nick started a map last year on CF where people drop pins on their location, with different colors representing whether they've got tools, shop space, or a Smarty. No Smartys near me last I checked.

2 hours ago, joecool911 said:

Does dripley get a pension as retired staff? ?

Well, he did have access to the company prius, but we had to take that away.  

Didn't he also vet all the m73m groupies too?  I haven't seen many lately.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dripley said:

DAP use to rent them out. By the month IIRC. I dont know if he still does it though.

I just ran over to DAP and they do still rent Smarty's.  He was nice enough to enable High Idle on my truck while I was there.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2015, 8:47:53, Me78569 said:

I bet!

the provided wire should read most of the way up the a pillar, so I would think you would only need a few feet of cable max, I doubt that will have a large impact on resistance.

Colorado, we have a problem...

Using my ScanGauge, I verified that the switch was working perfectly with the wire run into the cab, holding the board in my hand. After adding a few feet of stranded cat5 and hooking everything back up, it's acting weird. MPG still works fine (145* intake), 6cyl I think is working fine (123* water temp, 30* intake), but 3cyl stops altering the water temp and the intake temp starts bouncing around between 150* and 181*. Turning it off showed intake temp of 112*

This was all idling at operating temp. I soldered all of the connections carefully, so I really doubt I have any bad connections, and there't no way it's shorted to itself. Could the extra length of cable have thrown the 3 cylinder mode off? Or is it more likely I damaged the board somehow? I never dropped it or forced anything though. There was a couple feet of extra wire once all was done and in place, so that's coiled up loosely behind the board where the computer would go. Maybe it's interfering with itself?

3 cyl mode doesn't fool water temp just air.   Air temp should read 13*F  

Resolder the IAT wires, blue white and bare. I am guessing you have a bad solder joint / connection

the extra wire is not throwing it off that much, Intake temp for MPG mode is 143*f by design so your cable added 2*f.