• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man's Crankcase Vent Modification

Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Mopar1973Man's crankcase vent mod?

• Yes...got it installed already.
    • Not yet but plan to do it.
    • Not doing it.
    • Don't know what it is.

It is big enough line and it doesn't sit and idle enough to get them amount of condensation required to plug it up. The only time I have ever seen engines freeze up a vent line is if it where partially plugged with debris already and or excessive idling in wet freezing weather. An engine under load and at operating temps should never freeze up a clean vent line unless it has water in the crankcase or something else wrong.

I'm surprised to see a few people saying they are NOT going to do the mod... :poke::shrug:

I don't have the skills you do with pvc, and I'm a tight arse. ~24"s of 1" ID fuel line, I had laying around, has an interference fit with the stock hose, where the snot bottle is supposed to be. Ran it down and over the front axle, it keeps the under side of the truck lubed. No snot bottle mess and accomplishes the same thing as all the elbows and pipe. :)

i do not think i have a prob with blow-by...i think it might be the off road thing. i posted some pics of an oily mess a while ago...i cleaned it up and it hasn't come back. and i haven't been around the hunting lease either. when i bought this truck at 125k it didn't have a puke bottle(and didn't appear to have a mount for it). i thought about putting a bottle on until i read about all the problems associated with them. i had extended the hose with some drop bury pipe, but that eventually fell of. i would like to keep the trans free from gunk...so how long is too long for the hose?

I got to thinking about all this and remembered my ford. It has a tube going up the valley and then 90's into the intake. Interesting idea but the whole intake was of course, coated in the crap. Definitely would keep from leaking oil until the truck flipped over. Not that it would matter since it never seemed to contain more than a quart at any one time.

• Owner

I am not doing the mod cause there is no problem present. 127,000 miles and the only oil that appears on my engine is when I miss pouring it in at oil change time! :lmao:

I got a fix for that too...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/general/funnel/funnel.htm

Posted Image

No mess funnel that will take large amounts of oil without overfilling the funnel! :smart:

• 1 month later...

I ran one of these for a few years and it worked great. It was originaslly designed for diesel marine engines where they needed to keep engine bays clean and control or eliminate water contamination as well. There is a lot of info on the site and worth a look and read. http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_detail.asp?id=439

• 2 months later...

I started to do the mod. But I thought the 90 degree SOC X MPT was to connect the hose to.

Then was lost on how to do the back.(It’s been a while since I read this post.)

I see that there are many ways of doing this mod. My question is are there any down falls to using about 2 ft of heater hose for the down pipe on the rear? I would just get another SOC X MPT. Maybe step up to a 5/8 hose for the rear.?

Not sure there would be anything bad about it if it was tied off. the way some of the guys did it which I followed was the pvc with one male thread and one female and that way if you need to service or remove it you can just twist it and 'unthread it' and remove it.I did have a little trouble getting the thread started from the bottom - but a bit of fiddling and was all ok.The PVC will keep a solid open 'vent' out - no reason why a heater hose wouldn't but I guess it could pinch at sometime..