• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ball joints

Maybe, but would have to see some folks getting that kind of mileage. The bad thing is by the time they do who says they might have changed the design. My oe went 200k but others have not. Even some of the spicer adds say it is the oe joint, but they have grease fittings and I dont remember my oe having grease fittings. i think maybe original manufacturer but not the exact part.

• Staff
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Maybe so... But I paid right around $120 bucks for all 4 ball joints and still going after all this time. :whistle:

Could be. Then again you still shop at NAPA  

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I dont think Dynatrac even makes them for the 00-02. Even so at near $600 that is out of me league. If i knew for a fact they would last 150k+ I would think about.it. 

Thanks for the info Jag. I keep hearing about the more expensive ones but cant seem to find the.  Rip Rook, you gotta love name.

Are the 00-02 D60's different?

No, the dynatrac's aren't cheap, but even if they only last as long as OEMs they are rebuildable on the truck. That is huge! All the BJ changes will wear out the knuckle and then you are looking at a new axle housing. How many of the people that eat BJ like candy are wearing out the joint, and how many have issues from loose knuckles? There is a reason for splined BJ's and what happens when those don't fit tight?

• Like 1

@AH64ID

Having the ability to rebuild ball joints without removing them from the truck would be nice. I've seen a few wore out knuckles and there's only a couple of ways to fix them right, both of which require the axle to be removed. One is to machine out the holes and install a sleeve. The second is to weld beads around the inner circumference of the hole and then machine them to the correct diameter. Either option will  be costly a royal pita. 

The ball joints in te 00-02 fit in the axle yokes and not the knuckle. They also don line up with each other. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/475650-interesting-info-about-00-02-ball-joints.html This explains better than I can. I am definitely not a front end expert. I can however take it all apart and put it back together.

I seem to get different opinions of what constitutes worn out joints also. Some say no verical movement and some up to 1/4" vertical is OK. Most of what i have read agrees that any horizontal move is bad. So maybe mine are not as worn as I first thought. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dripley said:

The ball joints in te 00-02 fit in the axle yokes and not the knuckle. They also don line up with each other. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/475650-interesting-info-about-00-02-ball-joints.html This explains better than I can. I am definitely not a front end expert. I can however take it all apart and put it back together.

I seem to get different opinions of what constitutes worn out joints also. Some say no verical movement and some up to 1/4" vertical is OK. Most of what i have read agrees that any horizontal move is bad. So maybe mine are not as worn as I first thought. 

You don't really want to see any horizontal movement. Dodge has a tolerance for vertical movement and I believe it's .60 or .90"

I've been reading up on this and trying to make a finial decision on what I'm going to buy. I've read a lot of good things about Raybestos Professional but the knurled joints are just killing it for me. Synergy joints are supposed to be as stout as some of the other high-end joints out there but only cost $350 for set of 4. After researching this until I'm blue in the face my final decision is to wait for Michael to post what joints he has been using from NAPA and get the same thing. With a non-knurled joint I'll at least have the option to use something like the Dynatracs later on if I feel they're worth it. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, The_Hammer said:

my final decision is to wait for Michael to post what joints he has been using from NAPA and get the same thing

Like I said the ones I've got now are from Rockauto.com. I would just get something from NAPA and be done. Can't tell me that all these front end shops buy high dollar parts. Heck no they just order NAPA ball joints. If they were so bad of joint places like Les Schwab would be getting complaints from constant warranty work.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like I said the ones I've got now are from Rockauto.com. I would just get something from NAPA and be done. Can't tell me that all these front end shops buy high dollar parts. Heck no they just order NAPA ball joints. If they were so bad of joint places like Les Schwab would be getting complaints from constant warranty work.

You would be surprised. There is no real warranty on wear and tear which is what nearly all BJ's fail from. 

NAPA is going down the drain. More and more shops quit using them altogether. 

• Staff

Heavier tires and taller tires certainly do accelerate wear. Quality parts still last longer. 

Smart shops get their parts from other suppliers. The only local source doesn't make it a good source. 

NAPA may work for some, but their quality has been steadily slipping for years. 

Edited by AH64ID

The only non-adjustable, non-knurled ball joints NAPA shows are el cheapo ones, everything is else is knurled. 

NAPA has the rebranded Raybestos Professional joints, Rockauto has them under the AC Delco Professional name. 

NWMDC.jpg

45D0048_Primary__ra_p.jpg

41JgjMnj6KL._SY400_.jpg

This last one is listed on Amazon as Raybestos Professional. 

NAPA $50.85

Rock Auto $32.89

Amazon $30.00

Edited by The_Hammer

There's a 51% price difference between NAPA and Amazon, not including 8.25% tax at my local NAPA. I can get the commercial discount at my local NAPA and it's still cheaper online with free shipping. I ran the AC Delco branded part # on Amazon and it's a buck more than the Raybestos.

6 minutes ago, joecool911 said:

Especially for those who will be paying to have them installed, there's got to be a solution that's has more longevity.

That's a very good point. It gets expensive really quick if your paying someone to do the work for you. I don't even want to know how much I would have paid in labor alone this year doing repairs on my truck.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Any way to find out what they use? I would agree that they are using what they know will last at least past any warranty. Not trying to bad mouth them or anyone but I dont believe they are buying big money parts either with out charging more. 

Are you going to let us in on which ones you got at Rock Auto?

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

You would be surprised. There is no real warranty on wear and tear which is what nearly all BJ's fail from. 

NAPA is going down the drain. More and more shops quit using them altogether. 

That is the case with the Moog lifetime. Normal wear and tear is not covered, only material defects. Did not realize that when I bought them. Probably would have bought them any way with there rep at the time. No experience on NAPA quality for these parts

All this reminds me of the headache I got when we discussed XRF ball joints a few months back. Heres to mine not being as bad as I thought and they last another 100k.:whistle2:.

Anyone have a 98---00 truck with the t steering?

I need to do a nitty gritty alighnment and could use the measurement from a good truck.  Can anyone measure the distance between the hubs from the knuckle joint shalf to knuckle joint shaft on the tie rods?