• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weekend Help

Mopar1973Man

4 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I was at the recycle yard on Thursday.  They're paying 2½¢ a pound for steel.  It's not worth hauling it in right now.

Nobody is building anything. All the raw material commodities are down.  IMO, buckle up boys.  Stuff is gonna get cheap!  I am hoping land prices drop like a brick from heaven.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Absolutely... Too much was crushed back when scrappers where hauling scrap metal. I watch several old 70's Dodge Trucks and Cars go into a crusher and turn into cubes in no time flat. All I could is cry... Now finding old 70's stuff is nearly insane. Like the fire dept is looking for a 1976 Dodge Pickup door but there is none left all been crushed.

More than just the 70s stuff.  Everything got crushed during cash for clunkers. A few short SHORT years ago, like 10 years, I was able to get parts for stuff and find neat stuff dating to the 40s and occasionally 20s in the yards in CO.  Now?  The yards are closed except for the big ones.  The old ones crushed everything under state "beautification" pressure and the opportunity to actually make a few bucks on their pile of steel.  

There were two all original 49 Buick Straight 8 2 doors parked in a yard near where I grew up.  They didn't run, but they were complete and original.  They hadn't moved for about 30 years as they were buried in the back of the yard.  They needed a front end loader and some $100 bills to the yard hands to get to them that I didn't have at the time. Flat. 

Edited by CSM

• Staff

Being a mobile mechanic I work out side on the ground all year long. I just jack up the vehicle, put some cardboard down and slide under.  I do this at peoples' homes in their driveway, parking lots where they work or on the side of the road.   I've been doing this for over 21 years with almost no problems. 

Edited by IBMobile

11 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I was at the recycle yard on Thursday.  They're paying 2½¢ a pound for steel.  It's not worth hauling it in right now.

My guess is the prices will remain very low for at least the rest of the year.

The steel industry in this country is virtually dead right now due to foreign countries (but mostly China) illegally dumping cheap, low quality government subsidized steel here and our government turning a blind eye to it until it was to late. There has been some effort lately to slow down the steel dumping but to little to late if you ask me.

Thousands of iron ore miners are laid off in Minnesota (myself included) and steel mills across the US are shut down. I could go on and on about this but I'll quit de-railing this thread and boring you all with my ranting.

Buy American folks!

• Like 3

On 1/18/2016 at 11:00 PM, IBMobile said:

Being a mobile mechanic I work out side on the ground all year long. I just jack up the vehicle, put some cardboard down and slide under.  I do this at peoples' homes in their driveway, parking lots where they work or on the side of the road.   I've been doing this for over 21 years with almost no problems. 

I worked as a heavy equipment mobile service tech for a company who owned about 20 gravel pits. The busiest times for me were when pits got rained out and had to shut down. I was always crawling around in mud and clay, getting completely soaked, which was extra fun after a cold front had blown in. The worst was at the landfill. I wore Tyvek suits with the arms/legs taped up to my gloves/boots but still managed to itch for days from all of the fiberglass.

Sliding around under a vehicle on a piece of cardboard feels like a luxury to me now lol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Hammer said:

I worked as a heavy equipment mobile service tech for a company who owned about 20 gravel pits. The busiest times for me were when pits got rained out and had to shut down. I was always crawling around in mud and clay, getting completely soaked, which was extra fun after a cold front had blown in. The worst was at the landfill. I wore Tyvek suits with the arms/legs taped up to my gloves/boots but still managed to itch for days from all of the fiberglass.

Sliding around under a vehicle on a piece of cardboard feels like a luxury to me now lol.  

I had the pleasure "Sarcasm smiley inserted here" of working on backhoes that were customized to sit on top of rail cars that were usually full of derailment debris and rebar sticking out like a plate of spaghetti.  Those were not a fun days having to crawl up onto the rail cars to get to the backhoe and then have to worry about slipping and skewering ones self on a piece of iron or wood splinters.

• Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Come over to Idaho with enough beer and I'll do the stupid stuff for you!  Ask JAG1 about that... He ended up with VP44 install for free.

What kind and how much beer?  Is there a sliding scale on beer payment depending on the type of work and if someone helps.  

• Owner
3 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

What kind and how much beer?  Is there a sliding scale on beer payment depending on the type of work and if someone helps.  

Hmmm... Depends on the work I might ask for a bottle of whiskey as well. Things like ball joints are for sure Whiskey bottle job and 12 pack of beer. :whistle:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Come over to Idaho with enough beer and I'll do the stupid stuff for you!  Ask JAG1 about that... He ended up with VP44 install for free.

Yep, I made a special trip to the bank, make sure I could pay. Was laying down money until Mike told me to stop, could'a kept going but, he says put that away, whats in your frig?:doh: :cheers::hug:

• Like 1

• Staff

Finally getting the rest I need after the biggest 6 mo. long problem job ever done in 34 years of contracting. It was unbelievably tough. Now I got weekend help around here helping me clean up after 6 mos. of grab and go drop off  and go stuff laying around. So nice to get a long awaited rest, heal up and have a good buddy around to help out. Having fun finally.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Finally getting the rest I need after the biggest 6 mo. long problem job ever done in 34 years of contracting. It was unbelievably tough. Now I got weekend help around here helping me clean up after 6 mos. of grab and go drop off  and go stuff laying around. So nice to get a long awaited rest, heal up and have a good buddy around to help out. Having fun finally.

Enjoy the well deserved rest. And while you are at it you can think about the next one.

• Like 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, dripley said:

Enjoy the well deserved rest. And while you are at it you can think about the next one.

After what has happened I'm only taking the best of the very best jobs from now on.

It seems these younger new contractors leave a lot to be desired.... tired of that so only fun jobs from now on.

2 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

I've got the opposite problem, I can't find any work. 

Start own biz but, beware you'll go crazy if you take on too much.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAG1 said:

After what has happened I'm only taking the best of the very best jobs from now on.

It seems these younger new contractors leave a lot to be desired.... tired of that so only fun jobs from now on.

Even with me building primarily for one customer, CFA, the jobs are never the same. Some go great some dont. Depends on my subs, amount of site work and primarily the location. Some places act like they are happy to have new business in town and others dont give damn. I am not usually lucky enough to cherry pick my jobs pretty much go where I am needed most.