• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New truck!!

• Owner

Over the year I've seen a few that had issues between the tap point and the needle valve. Mostly the poor grade of hose used.

7 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I'm more concerned about being able to shut down fuel leaking into the cab quickly if that were to happen.

Remember as the key is turned off the lift pump does too. So... turning your key off is faster that you can pop the hood release and run out and spin it closed. As for leaks in the cab if you use good quality 1/8" air brake line you won't have a single problem. It the very same stuff big trucks use for pressure gauges as well.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would of mounted the needle valve right at the tap point. Now when that hose failed your going to be stuck with ZERO way to shut down the fuel.

That's what vice grips under the seat are for.

8 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

...no vise grips?  are you crazy man????  :ahhh:

Why do you think they call him the idaho wild man?...

Oh wait, they dont call him that.  Nevermind.

Vise grips are more important than duct tape.  Especially the mini size.

These are the most important tool I own.

Knipex-Pliers-Wrench.jpg

The Jaws stay parallel %100 of the time and clamping force is HUGE.  I can do more work on the truck with just those than any other tool.  If they only had a locking feature, BRB searching the net for locking Knipex plyers.............

I was looking for locking plyers.....but I found these instead.....

http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-86-03-400-16_inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B00FBPPKPO

718JRWLeLcL._SL1500_.jpg

Must have

giphy.gif

• Owner

Only crack 1,3,4 leave the rest of the injectors alone. Then crank till she starts. Typically I'll crank for 15-20 second burst.

If there is no action. disconnect your grid heaters at the battery. The give the air intake a quick burst of starting fluid and crank it up. I've only had one rare time that I had to pop a engine with starting fluid to get it started.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. :thumbup2:

Apparently this truck wants you to crank for a while before it'll get fuel to the injectors. My 99 I could just bump and the lift pump would push fuel up to them. 

Anyways, cranked for about 10 seconds, tried to fire. Went out and snugged down the injectors since I knew the next go she'd start and I didn't want fuel to get to crazy. Next crank fired right up! 

Ok so gauges are in. Went for a test ride and was seeing either a rock solid gauge as in, wasn't moving under hard accelerating or anything or it would wander +/-2psi when I opened the needle valve a little more. 

I've teed into the fuel line about where to stock fuel filter is.

Can too much 1/8 line for my gauge cause weird readings? Is my tee too close to the VP? Was solid pressure actually accurate?

I'm taking her to work tomorrow so I'll have more info later

I usually see around 3psi change in mine. All depends on how you have it plumbed. I use the stock filter, you did not. Mine is tapped halfway between the canister and the VP so closer than you. It just seems to vary from truck to truck too. Nothing wrong with 2 psi drop. Drive it some and a while and see how it settles in. 

So the fluctuation is happening at idle (no grids running) or even when cruising with solid throttle input. I expected a psi drop under acceleration but not just random readings during those other times. Is that normal with these bigger pumps?

Well drive into work showed the following numbers.

19psi @ startup and idle - showed 0 deflection even under load with grids cycling.

20-21psi while driving - showed practically 0 deflection even while hard acceleration.

I'm really wondering if I'm really just getting that solid of numbers? I might crack the needle valve a TINY bit more to see if I can get the gauge more responsive and see if that changes my numbers.