• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gauge setup

44 minutes ago, notlimah said:

I'll either have to go snag a pic of the 99 or just take a new pic once I get the new gauges in the 02! I thought my setup was busy but you got me beat! What's the gauge in the very top right?

Reflection on the camera... dang thing. I've got the three on the pillar, my phone suction cupped to the windshield, drive pressure by my left knee, one on the steering column and a scangauge II by the ash tray. I think I need more cab! I do wish they made a dual steering pod like the 3rd gen's have.

• Owner

I don't know why they never came out with a 4 position a-pillar? There is enough room for a 4th gauge at the top with a modified angle adjustment. 

9 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Need ideas where to put my phone / gauge thing

Most would get some sort of phone holder and mount it to the dash some how. I kind of want to set up my Azpen Tablet for gauges from my OBDLink LX and have both a analog gauge as well as digital. Analog is much easier to read.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, notlimah said:

Have you thought about running the 3 gauge pod on top the dash? If I was in your position I think that's what I'd do, but I don't like the look of it by itself.

I'm not a big fan of that either... I'm not too worried about the analog gauges but more where to mount the phone and possibly a new tablet.

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

DSCF2438.JPG.3de3bbd1b9ad774252812f6dcb0Take a look where I mounted my Scan Gauge...

That's near where mine is too! I was going to remove it but it makes clearing those 2 pesky codes easier than busting out the smarty. 

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

↓    Four on the A post.  ↓

DSCN9693.JPG.402e6cf4a2260cdcb83445991fe

Nice setup! I like to keep mine in pods though. Really trying to find a spot for the phone / tablet though. Thanks!

49 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I don't know why they never came out with a 4 position a-pillar? There is enough room for a 4th gauge at the top with a modified angle adjustment. 

Most would get some sort of phone holder and mount it to the dash some how. I kind of want to set up my Azpen Tablet for gauges from my OBDLink LX and have both a analog gauge as well as digital. Analog is much easier to read.

I just want it in a decent spot that doesn't block too much view. I'd like to try a tablet because they're easier to read but not sure how yet.

• Owner

Thing is that analog gauges are the quickest gauge to read. Like I've got the ISSPro EV2 gauges as well. Thing is that I'm never really looking at the gauges I can see relative position of the needles and know if things are normal or not. Digital gauges like my ScanGauge II you have to physically look right at the ScanGauge I read the numbers and see if there is a rise or fall. Where on analog gauges again you really don't have to look directly at them but you can see the needle movement up or down the scale. Now with like Tfaoro phone setup that big analog gauge is easy to read but the smaller digital gauges tend to again require more visual time to see trends on the gauge. 

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Easy to read, I much prefer the digital readout vs the analog looking gauge.

For some things, yes. But for others that I just want to scan, I prefer gauges.  Temp, batt, oil px, and fuel px should be straight up.  If they were in a line of gauges that would be perfect

DSC01380.JPG.4d39edcdd4b2bcbe506729d0b32After loosing my Banks tuner I lost the EGT and Boost since all their info passed thru the tuner. So i had to install new ones. Ended up getting a 3 gauge setup from Vulcan with the dash top pod. I have really grown to like better than the A pillar pod. I still have my FP gauge in it and plan on taking it out a nd putting my old 2 gauge pod for the FP and whatever else I decide to put in the spare hole.

DSC01382.JPG.01804a74feb1fe57c68b93dc68b

I despise those pillar pods.  Just the pillar covers enough area to force you to look around it to make sure it isn't hiding a car or worse a person.  I had to stop real quick just a couple days ago in a parking lot because a lady was hidden by it.  Fortunately I try to look around it to make sure something isn't there and that was how I spotted her.  I apologized as she came by and let her know the pillar hid her.  That's with my OEM pillar, no gauges.  I drove Eric's 98.5 a few years ago with pillar gauges and it was way worse than mine.

RR

• Owner

Depends... Visually mine doesn't add any width to the pillar Like my 1996 Dodge doesn't have any a-pillar gauges and the 2002 does have it and the differences are so minor it un-real. Depends on how you sit in the seat. Even the 1996 Dodge has the same blind spot in turning tight corners just because of the pure width of the a-pillar post.

So take notice to my picture that the gauge pod doesn't add to the A-pillar blind spot. So just leaning slightly towards the center of the cab kills that blind spot.

DSCF2438.JPG.3de3bbd1b9ad774252812f6dcb0

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Well Mike I might agree with you except I dont sit behind the center console when I am driving. This is how mine looks while sitting behind the wheel. It seems to me to ad about 1.5" to the width of an already wide A pillar. I do have to look around it when driving around town not so much on the highway. While it's bothersome to I have gotten used to it. That is why I like the dash gauge pod. I am still going to have one but thinking of going back to the gauge pod.

the few from my seat.

DSC01383.JPG.e418bc6ffc847bdbeeec5cc6cab

• Like 1

Yea definitely have to agree that the a pillar does impede the view a bit. I love the look and functionality of it, but on left handers and in confined spaces with people around and such, I find myself moving forward a bit to make sure I'm not playing bumper cars with anyone's face.

• Owner

Retake... I measured the location of my eyes and shot the photo from that position. Now you'll still notice at least for my pod there is just a slight bump that protrudes past the stock line. I don't know if my old pod is different that the new ones... @TFaoro As for the Scan Gauge II clip maybe that would be a good spot for your phone gauges...

DSCF3617.JPG.5d34bff18d8fba864ff66ca3c7a