• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear brake diagram needed

I'm digging into my rear brakes tomorrow. I had one side open the other day to replace the auto adjuster and I have a hunch they've been assemble wrong the last time. Does someone have a diagram of how it all goes together? Like which shoe is the front one, how the cable for the adjuster is routed etc. 

I looked at that but it really doesn't give a description of what I'm looking for. My questions specifically are, does the bigger shoe go to the front or the back, does the cable that operates the adjuster pull from the front or rear shoe, and is there a right and left to the arms that turn the star wheel. I got new ones to put in but they both have an L on them making me think they're side specific. 

• Staff

This you tube video may help you out.  It's from a 94 truck but 95% of all rear brakes are the same.  While your in there you may want to change out the brake cylinders to the GMC type for a 50% increase in rear brake power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkHAB38BxM

Edited by IBMobile

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Did you pull both drums / brakes apart fully?   

I always always leave one side alone so I can look at it.  

I honestly can't remember, but they are side / front back specific.  

No I didn't but I'm all confused. I watched one video where the guy said to put the big shoe to the back. Yet when I looked up info for my old F150 Ford it said to put the big shoe to the front and called it the secondary shoe. 

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

This you tube video may help you out.  It's from a 94 truck but 95% of all rear brakes are the same.  While your in there you may want to change out the brake cylinders to the GMC type for a 50% increase in rear brake power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlkHAB38BxM

Yes I have the bigger cylinders to install. 

1 hour ago, joecool911 said:

Primary should be the bigger one?

Like I mentioned, I read where they called the big one the secondary?

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The FSM has what you are looking for pages 297-306  for the 2001.  

As exmaple

brake.PNG.2ae5bf90164e09c4a962f095b3db5b

Is there a FSM available online? I don't have one. 

Volks,

Your  F-150 may have been the "self energizing" type vs the later Duo-servo type braking systems. 

In the Duo-Servo (like on our Dodge)  The Primary shoe (forward shoe) starts the braking action and triggers the Secondary shoe.  The secondary shoe is the one that has the most mechanical advantage forced against it.  So the secondary shoe performs a higher percentage of the braking force.  You should put the smaller shoe towards the front of the vehicle (Primary)  and the larger shoe to the rear (Secondary) on a duo-servo system. 

Larger shoe to the rear on most newer vehicles.

Hope this helps!

Hag

• Like 1

The shop was on dads yard. I'd made a fire in the woodstove and gone home for dinner. A neighbour driving by stopped at folks and said there was more smoke than usual coming out of the shop. Mom called me so I cruised over on the quad and there was smoke pouring out of the eaves. I went to open the big door to try getting my truck out but I heard stuff falling inside so I said good bye to it and moved stuff away from around the outside. Since it was a farm shop we had a LOT of small parts and tools inside. Wasn't able to save a single thing.