• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starter not engaging flywheel

98.5-----5 speed.

Having an issue where I'm not getting the starter to engage the flywheel.  Starter will go, but will not turn over the engine.  Batteries are brand new as are my cables (I'm 100% sure that my connections are all good.....now :))  

The story........................

This initially started out as just a "1 click, no start" when turning the key; it also threw a code.  Went underneath to to check the starter cable....:whistle:  I unfortunately caused an arc because the connection was loose and I'm fairly confident I made something go crispy critters in the starter. I only had one negative disconnected so I learned the hard way :doh:; save the lecturing, all you can do is laugh.  Went back to start again and now I'm at the "not engaging the flywheel" situation (truck also is NOT throwing any codes NOW). I guess I'm just curious as to what my next step should be.  Is the starter more then likely toast?  Anything else to check?  Truck ran excellent when it was stored back in November so I can only assume I FUBAR'd the starter just now.  Just want to get the truck running.

Thanks fellas.

Edited by sooxies

• Staff

Yeah the starter solenoid is not sliding the starter pinion gear into the flywheel. When you pull the starter you can take apart the solenoid, real simple inside, and kinda determine what might have happened to it. I've had okay luck with rebuilt starters lasting about 3-5 yrs. I'm on my 4th free replacement starter on my 1st gen. 2nd gen oem is still good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sooxies said:

98.5-----5 speed.

Having an issue where I'm not getting the starter to engage the flywheel.  Starter will go, but will not turn over the engine.  Batteries are brand new as are my cables (I'm 100% sure that my connections are all good.....now :))  

The story........................

This initially started out as just a "1 click, no start" when turning the key; it also threw a code.  Went underneath to to check the starter cable....:whistle:  I unfortunately caused an arc because the connection was loose and I'm fairly confident I made something go crispy critters in the starter. I only had one negative disconnected so I learned the hard way :doh:; save the lecturing, all you can do is laugh.  Went back to start again and now I'm at the "not engaging the flywheel" situation (truck also is NOT throwing any codes NOW). I guess I'm just curious as to what my next step should be.  Is the starter more then likely toast?  Anything else to check?  Truck ran excellent when it was stored back in November so I can only assume I FUBAR'd the starter just now.  Just want to get the truck running.

Thanks fellas.

This isn't the type of forum to lecture you about an accident :thumbup2: Stuff happens.

I'd be willing to bet you have a starter contact going bad, which is really easy to replace. For some reason the article I'm about to post isn't showing the pictures, but I'll throw up one or two of my own. Click here: 

IMG_20150702_163939_258_zpskv8osbjo.jpg

IMG_20150702_164604_129_zps7wth7sni.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

This isn't the type of forum to lecture you about an accident :thumbup2: Stuff happens.

I'd be willing to bet you have a starter contact going bad, which is really easy to replace. For some reason the article I'm about to post isn't showing the pictures, but I'll throw up one or two of my own. Click here: 

IMG_20150702_163939_258_zpskv8osbjo.jpg

IMG_20150702_164604_129_zps7wth7sni.jpg

Thank You all.  Apologies, this is my 6th vehicle in seven years so I've been on many forums where it's all lecture/lecture/lecture.   Immediately after I finished posting this, I ran out for kicks to try it again and it started just fine :hyper:.  Did not touch the truck at all.  I do believe this vehicle is cursed.  I just drove a nice 70 miles today with starting and stopping...no issues.  Now with the problem I was having before, Is there a could chance the issue could come back?  Any action I should take.  Again, having zero issues currently.

On 2/28/2016 at 5:15 PM, Buzzinhalfdozen said:

Fix it now before you end up stranded at a rest stop 100 miles from home in the middle of the night...ask me how I know. 

It's a bit of a long story but to make it short 3 of us took off after Katrina to help @ New Orleans a few days after I took possession of my '01.  Starter didn't always want to work but figured it would likely make it and I would replace once we got there.  On my last fuel stop just before we got there no start right on the fuel island.  :mad:   There was some others we knew on the way home and I hitched a ride with them to the closest NAPA to get a replacement and did it right at the pump.  :burnout:

Edited by TFaoro
Formatting
  • Like 1