• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Exhaust brake help/decision

Hey all...

I have been wanting to add an exhaust brake since I took owner ship of my truck. Would be especially nice when towing my camper. 

Anyway... I know I will need a torque lock controller. 

The opportunity has come about for a used Pacbrake. It is off an manual.. so no controller.. but does come with a compressor and tank.. don't need it just a bonus.

All parts appear to be around 7 years old and seem a bit used/weathered/rusty (see pics)

My question(s)... would the age or weathered/rust bother you? Do they wear down/out? Everything will cost around $500 plus the road trip... 

Another thing.. I asked if it was 3 or 4 inch.. he said it looked like 4 inch. I have a 4 inch down pipe.. so I assume it'll work?? Will I need to cut my down pipe to insert this?

YIRrkOvl.jpg

Ly40Jq0l.jpg

7FmlmiJl.jpg

• Owner

I'm not sure about PacBrake. Some version had double valves and some are single valves. Personally it would drive me crazy listening to a little compressor running nearly constantly for the amount I use mine locally. I would look at the main butterfly valve and be sure its in good working order and the butterfly is not loose in the pivot.

• Owner
Just now, dodgedieselnewbie said:

So the compressor runs full time?

Depends on how much you use the exhaust brake. Being I live in the mountain I'm constantly on and off the exhaust brake coming down long grades towing or empty. So that little compressor would be working hard with me in the driver seat. The only time i touch the brake pedal is to stop from a speed of roughly 20-25 MPH typically. So exhaust brake to me is my primary braking force where my service brakes are my secondary.

3 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I have enough annoying noises/rattles/etc to listen to lol

I highly suggest you consider you mount location carefully. That little compressor will sound like the little portable 12V tire pumps you buy in auto part stores. I would opt for vacuum driven Exhaust brake then it just tee into the existing vacuum on the cowling and there is no extra noises then.

5 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

Unfortunately.. It's not close enough for me to look at

Hmmm... Craiglist find or what? What kind of price on it? How old of unit?

• Owner

Yeah. This is an air pressure driven system you are looking at. The vacuum unit looks differently typically with a larger vacuum can on the exhaust brake valve. So no the compressor isn't for on board air. I wouldn't suggest using it for on board air.

1/4 HP, 1.2 CFM is not a whole lot of air.

7FmlmiJl.jpg

Looks similar to Viair

http://www.viaircorp.com/275C.html

Not sure but Isn't the little canister in the second picture (in my first post) the vacuum can? 

I thought $500 was pretty cheap if I can make it work.. even without the compressor.

This thing comes with a tank too... mixed in with the spaghetti  lol

2ZpiWPNl.jpg

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

I would shy away. Believe it or not they do wear out eventually, and the last thing you want is to put a worn out exhaust brake on. Like @Mopar1973Man said the vacuum ones look different and IMO are better. 

Now for hooking it to the turbo... Is his the stock hx or hy? If it is I don't think it'll work with your aurora 2k. Most of them built for the hx and hy replace the back plate on the turbo. If it doesn't, do they have the same outlet flange from the turbo?

• Like 1

• Owner

Thank you @TFaoro!!! I didn't catch his turbo. Yeah then you would be looking for a in-pipe exhaust brake not a turbo mount.

1 minute ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I think it's best that I pass.

It would be best to consider biting the bullet and buying a new unit that works for your application.

Here is a vacuum exhaust brake and how it bolts up to the turbo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dodgedieselnewbie said:

I don't know the answers.. so I think it's best that I pass. Wasn't too fond of all the pitting and rust anyway. Thank you. 

Anyone have a recommendation for the best exhaust brake for my application? Are they all (3?) created equal? 

Whichever one runs off of vacuum. They work well an don't a compressor and other stuff in the way down there.

• Owner

Problem your going to have... The Pacbrake lockup controller will only work in 3rd and 4th gears so only highway speed will work for the exhaust brake. Now if you modify your valve body for 2nd gear lock up you can gain more ability of the exhaust brake. I would highly suggest talking with @Dynamic about this so you get the best function with the least amount of damage to the transmssion. I asked him about doing lock up switch and I remember him mention about lock up shift is harsh on the transmission. So I would suggest talking to Dynamic on this.

I have a BD brand and it looks similar to the one that Mike shows in pictures. I love mine, came with everything needed to install. Like this only an older version. https://m.thoroughbreddiesel.com/store/p/2472-BD-Diesel-Performance-Exhaust-Brake-99-02-Cummins-Turbo-Mount-Vac.aspx

Mine has a large blue vacuum chamber. I think something that has to with breaks you can't go cheap on, ether a used unit better be in good shape without guessing or buy new. If you don't have money to buy new maybe do an upgrade on your service breaks to later model that has larger rotors and pads, you will need 17 inch rims though. I did it on mine but not sure if you can do it to a 99.

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Problem your going to have... The Pacbrake lockup controller will only work in 3rd and 4th gears so only highway speed will work for the exhaust brake. Now if you modify your valve body for 2nd gear lock up you can gain more ability of the exhaust brake. I would highly suggest talking with @Dynamic about this so you get the best function with the least amount of damage to the transmssion. I asked him about doing lock up switch and I remember him mention about lock up shift is harsh on the transmission. So I would suggest talking to Dynamic on this.

Sheesh... it seems like a lot to go through ($$$) to have an exhaust brake on an auto! 

Auto exhaust brakes are less plug and play than manual.  I have my lockup switch built into my gear selector for easy use.

At some point I am going to 3rd print a new shifter that includes buttons for lockup and EB and maybe other functions.

Exhaust brakes dont usually wear out and even require constant usage in order to assure they remain reliable.  And I cant comment on the vacuum models verses the air pressure models either, or which one works better.  I understood that they're pretty much the same but that when Dodge/Cummins eliminated the vacuum pump, the only way to power an exhaust brake was with air pressure.  A small universal air pump is easier and cheaper than trying to configure an engine mounted pump.  And yeah, I agree with Mike in that I would choose a better location for the pump besides under the drivers seat.  But I'm sure its there to keep it away from corrosion given the appearance of everything else.  If the reserve tank is large enough then it wont run all that often but in the cab is still not where I'd want it.

I'd give Pacbrake and BD a call if you're curious about their differences or your options.  They'd be the best to offer advice and suggestions. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

• Owner

I've only heard of one person actually wearing out a exhaust brake. Cajflynn... The million mile runner...

On 3/25/2016 at 3:45 PM, KATOOM said:

I would choose a better location for the pump besides under the drivers seat. 

That's the thing about where do you hide such a item? Under the hood is rather packed, could be placed under the truck bed. Again mud and water issue. I'll give this more though since I've got a job here that I'm installing air bags on a truck with independent left / right controls for the air  and compressor so I've got to do some hunting anyways. :think:

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1