• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 finally died...

• Owner

261k miles and my NV4500 finally died. Not the 5th gear nut. I lost both 3rd and 4th gear. I was just leaving my place pulling the trailer back to New Meadows, ID with the a truck on the deck. Got into 3rd and the stick was rattling oddly. Poured the fuel to her to get rolling and it popped out of gear. Difficult to get into 4th. I knew the transmission had lost a bearing or something. Got up to New Meadows flats and check everything over no leaks. 1st gear works fine, 2nd gear works fine, 3rd pushing against you and BANG! Then tried 4th its missing. Rowed to 5th and barely had enough power to get the truck going. I had another 5-6 miles to go before cell service. I got a hold of the owner of the trailer and truck and told him to meet me at the 45th parallel.  So we swapped truck and and loaded mine up and I got trailed home.

I know Jon (Dynamic Transmissions) doesn't do manuals but I still asked if he knew of anyone. I talked to Muddy of Idaho Turbo Diesels he told me to call Six States Distributing. So I called there main office and they can get me a NV4500 for $1500.00 with a $1530.00 core. (Holy Crap Core Price!) So I found out Six States has a Boise Office but just missed them they are closed.

Just for fun I called NAPA and there price was $2359.00 with a $484.00 core. No go there...

Funny I didn't break the input shaft because I still got 1st, 2nd, 5th and Reverse. Just 3rd and 4th are gone.

• Owner

The the truck I trailered back to the owner was a 6 speed I really don't like it. Row out 4 gears to get to 30 MPH the 5th and 6th which is the same at the NV4500. Like in my 5 speed I row out 1st to 3rd gear to get to  30 MPH then got 4th (1:1) and 5th (0.75) that are the same as the NV5600 (5th is actually 0.73)or G56.

I'll keep the 5 speed. I never in a million year thought my transmission would wipe 3rd and 4th. It like the bearing failed the shaft is moved and the gears don't quite make it. They still tick like they attempt to but nothing. I've seen rebuild kits for $350 or so. I just don't have the knowledge of manual transmissions to dive in. Jon said he's done a few but not really set up to rebuild them properly. Dang! That man there is Automatic Guru.

• Owner

Bad part is having all the special tools to deal with bearings. I'd already asked @Dynamic about doing it and like he mention there is special tools for some of the bearings and such. You have to be able to split the shaft up and get new syncro's, bearings on the ends etc. I would if the core core was a few hundred I would just buy a new one attempt to fix this one. When the core is $1,530 and the transmission is $1,500 I'm not going to sacrifice $1,530 for core so I can gamble a rebuild and lack of knowledge the odd are against me and my pockets are already empty. :broke: 

You can try the company I used to work for years ago, they have a store in Missoula Montana.

http://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/montana/missoula/

The NV4500 is easy peasy, you would have zero issues rebuilding it yourself.

The NV 5600 is a different animal I would not recommend a first timer to try though.

But then again if you can get one for 1500 bucks with warranty I wouldn't even waste my own time rebuilding it. Parts could eat up most of that and there would be no warranty.

I have  rebuilt many 4500's and have never had or seen the need for any special tools other than the basics.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

• Owner

All I can say I'm glad it blew up here and not out on a summer RV trip that would piss me off to no end knowing I would be at the mercy of any shop I get towed to. Most likely have high prices, crappy install, no way to claim warranty on the work. At least here at home I know I can get the R&R done myself and know its done right.

wow, There really was a curse!  I had a nv4500 sieze up about an hour from home last Sunday.  Hauling a trailer also helping a buddy grab a car he was working on.  we were cruising down I25 and motor died and it started rattling and wouldn't go back into any gear while we were rolling.  got it stopped and the motor died as soon as you let out the clutch, even in neutral.    once I got the tranny out it turned out the rear seal on the tranny had gone out and leaked all the fluid into the t-case.   burned up some bearing because the input shaft on the trans wouldn't turn.  lesson learned don't put silicone in between the tranmission and tcase so you know if you're leaking fluid-  

• Owner
6 minutes ago, Olaus said:

lesson learned don't put silicone in between the tranmission and tcase so you know if you're leaking fluid

Even on my 46RE on the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 it has a drain hole. Weird part is it mounted with a gasket but not really needed. So during assembly I just married them back together and not bothered with any sealants or gasket. It will be the same on the NV4500. I'll take the time and dump the transfer case and everything and clean up everything I can.

• Like 1

You could rebuild it yourself, @Mopar1973Man. They really are a piece of cake! All you would need is a bearing puller with long jaws to get a couple of the bearings off. I understand not wanting to mess with it though.

I just might call this company you speak of and see if they want my core. If they'll buy it for 1000 I'd be stoked!

• Owner

@TFaoro What do you got to lose? Why not if they are willing to take your old transmission for some cash for core I would jump on it. Funny I got home and MoparMom telling hit your network of people get some information.

I've got to give @MUDDY over at http://idahoturbodiesels.com the credit. I called him and he told me to call "Six States Distributing". When I heard the price I'm even thinking that's a bill even I can swallow. Being there is a Boise office why not I can get it yanked out in a few hours and be down in Boise picking one up and slamming back in. Again I'm glad it happen here at home... I guess this goes along with CSM "Burn out before I leave" POW!!!   All you can say is a few choice words and deal with it. :doh:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Sure am sorry to hear of the tranny woes. I am a little surprised you are not going to build it yourself. After all the things you tell us we can rebuild I thought the 4500 would be one you would tackle. But to each his own and no disrespect intended. I have the 5600 and would not touch it. I lost 4th in mine about 120k ago and just bought one from a junk yard. Still set me back 2.5K.

Sucked but it still works fine.

Anyway good luck on the route you take. The moon is getting closer every day. Only about 60K for some of us.:bolt:

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've never done any transmission work ever... So its a gamble with poor odds of success for me. :ahhh:

The odds of success are very much in your favor. You're meticulous with your work, you take your time, and you achieve great results.

When I tore into mine this summer, I'd never seen the inside of any transmission. BUT I figured it was a good time to learn. With the book you almost cannot screw anything up. Follow the procedure all the way through and you'll have a new transmission that YOU can be confident in because YOU built it :thumbup2: 

• Like 2

• Owner
6 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Follow the procedure all the way through and you'll have a new transmission that YOU can be confident in because YOU built it :thumbup2: 

That would drive me crazy. Being it's my first rebuild. I'd be afraid to use my truck then. I wouldn't trust my first attempt rebuild to travel long distances. Like my first engine rebuild I won't leave the valley with that truck for a long time because I didn't trust it. 

If I get my act together tomorrow I could have it yanked out and open it up and see what happened. I'm curious of what failed. I'm pretty sure its a bearing and the shaft moved and the gears are not lining up now...

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

That would drive me crazy. Being it's my first rebuild. I'd be afraid to use my truck then. I wouldn't trust my first attempt rebuild to travel long distances. Like my first engine rebuild I won't leave the valley with that truck for a long time because I didn't trust it. 

If I get my act together tomorrow I could have it yanked out and open it up and see what happened. I'm curious of what failed. I'm pretty sure its a bearing and the shaft moved and the gears are not lining up now...

I believe almost anyone on this site would be confident in having you rebuild their transmission. (I am one of them and I've never even met you) So you spend the first 500 miles near the house, then from there don't worry about it. I was a little skeptical at first with my own work, but my engine is still together and running strong. 

• Like 3